Help with Cobra, perfect coil & mesh, flavor muted

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFDF

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2012
United States
I have a perfect coil, #500 mesh and 32K at a 4/5 wrap using peter k's new method without oxidation. Running about 8.2 watts on my ProV. No hot spots, perfect wicking. Wattage increase burns my juice and I can taste that, Wattage decrease just lowers vapor production and increases response time.

The problem is I get almost no flavor, I get more flavor from a basic debridged 510 or 306 atty. The vapor production is immense, more than I've ever seen but I cannot taste it. Any ideas on what would cause this?

spraintz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
I have found that some people that are extremely sensitive to taste are sometimes unable to get the taste they desire form a genesis style atomizer. That said taste from a gene style can be affected by a number of things and can be different from atomizer to atomizer. The thing that I have noticed that's the biggest factor for taste on my atomizers (AC9, BliSS, G-tank-US, Z-Atty Pro, DuD) is the actual chamber size and size/position of air hole in relation to chamber size/shape.

Example:

My ZAP has IMO a small chamber considering it's size with the air hole "higher" in the chamber. This creates the need for a lighter draw and the vapor is far more concentrated giving far more flavor than say the AC9.

The AC9 has a larger air hole, bigger chamber and the airhole is lower in the chamber.....this make for awesome huge amounts of vapor but the flavor is not quite as "sharp"

The BliSS, is kinda right in the middle with tons of vapor and less flavor "muting" but still not quite as sharp as the ZAP

The G-tank is waay different, really small vapor chamber with lot more distance to the drip tip allowing the vapor to concentrate and give the best flavor(for me at least)

I don't have a Cobra but from what I have seen and heard I would prolly put it somewhere between the AC9 and BliSS in terms of flavor...as a guess. Point is not all genesis style atomizers are equal, I use each of mine for different scenarios. The Cobra might not be as good for you as say a ZAP.

One thing to try is to go with a 5/6 of say 30g and back off the voltage a bit, I've had success getting more flavor that way.

Not to disappoint but it might also be that the taste of a genesis style (or SS in a gene) might just not be for you, There are some out there that I know with super sensitive taste buds and just can't seem to get the flavor they want with a gene style.

Personally I find that even with a little muting of flavor I still feel that the taste is still more "pure" than from any standard atty or carto......but again that's just me.

boneshark187

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2011
New Jersey
I have limited experience, but I've found so far that it takes a few days....maybe a week or so or more to "break in" the wick and atomizer. When I first roll a coil on mesh i keep the voltage lower and although less vapor the flavor starts coming through more and more as time goes on. I gradually increase my voltage over the days.

I had a really nice wick & coil going on about 3 weeks it was tasting absolutely perfect until i dropped my pv and the top cap went flying off my atomizer and the wick got bent up and caught up in the carpet.

fraghole

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2012
Tennessee
Hello, I am new here, and by no means am I an expert on gen atty's, but I have a cobra. I use a uwick setup 400 mesh 32 gauge kanthal. I have a 4 over 3 coil. I am currently getting good flavor and vapor. It took some time for mine to settle in. I also have the airhole in front of the coil. I have noticed that the way you draw has a big effect on flavor and vapor production. I have better luck with a slow steady draw. Experiment with your draw and see if it helps.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I have a perfect coil, #500 mesh and 32K at a 4/5 wrap using peter k's new method without oxidation. Running about 8.2 watts on my ProV. No hot spots, perfect wicking. Wattage increase burns my juice and I can taste that, Wattage decrease just lowers vapor production and increases response time.

The problem is I get almost no flavor, I get more flavor from a basic debridged 510 or 306 atty. The vapor production is immense, more than I've ever seen but I cannot taste it. Any ideas on what would cause this?
whenever i do a set-up the taste is there to start, it will not get any better later. it might be worth it to try some oxidation. have had 3 gennys for quite a few months now, 2 dids and an aga-t and always have oxidized them pretty darn good with great results, never had any problems. just recieved an ac-9 and set it up the same. it came out tasting like a'''s. couldnt understand why. everything was great except the taste. i mean there was no hotspots, loads of vapor, just no taste. i did everything man. tried 270/325/400 meshs/ rolled tight, loose . tried higher resistances, middle ,low. eveything i could think of. after 4 days wanted to sell it. now in all this i must have rolled & burned 8 different wicks, all different meshes and configurations, but oxidized them all the same lenght of time, spent the same time as with my other devices, which always worked. but didnt in the ac-9. the last wick i tried i almost charred it, not really but i must of spent twice the time and BINGO. the taste is now awesome. the ac-9 must be more picky about the wicks. well anyways i do not doubt the peter k method, but maybe it doesnt work as well in other devices. its worth a try to give that wick a really good burn and quence a few times. good luck

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
I'd never had any trouble getting good flavor right off the bat, with any of my Gennys, until I received my ZAP last week. It comes with a prebuilt wick and coil installed, so I figured I'd at least try it. I checked the coil out, and it fired nicely, so I filled the tank up and tried it. I used one of my DIY juices which I'm very familiar with. While I can't say the flavor was terrible, it was just "off". It was harsher than it should be. But i knew the coil had no hot spots, and knew the resistance was correct, so I just kept with it. Eventually, it settled in. It took about a tank and a half for everything to break in properly. After that, it was smooth as silk.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Me too having some problem.
As compare to ZAP, cobra air draw is very tight.
And so far i can only manage to get 1.2ohm wrap on my cobra.
Firing at 2.9v vapor production is very bad.

Is it meant to be that way?

At 2.9 volts with a 1.2 ohm coil, you're only getting about 7 watts. That's pretty low wattage for a genesis type.

spraintz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
Sorry, don't actually have a Cobra so I can't make a comment on it's draw but I do use a BliSS that has extremely small airholes and is a relatively tight draw compared to my AC9 and Z-Atty Pro, but, i still get big ole huge vapor clouds on it as well. Point is, you should be able to get plenty of vapor and flavor no matter what the air hole size is....that's why I would suggest looking at the wick....

I do know that the "deck"(part between the vapor chamber and tank)on the Cobra is really thick like the AC9 and can be prone to a sorta "vapor-lock" if air return to the tank is not taken care of and this can hurt wicking. If yer wick is rolled so thick that it completely fills the wick hole then air return can lessen.....I suggest making the wick so there is plenty of space between the wick and wick hole. Wicking will be better and you should always have juice to the coil.

Keep at it.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I'd never had any trouble getting good flavor right off the bat, with any of my Gennys, until I received my ZAP last week. It comes with a prebuilt wick and coil installed, so I figured I'd at least try it. I checked the coil out, and it fired nicely, so I filled the tank up and tried it. I used one of my DIY juices which I'm very familiar with. While I can't say the flavor was terrible, it was just "off". It was harsher than it should be. But i knew the coil had no hot spots, and knew the resistance was correct, so I just kept with it. Eventually, it settled in. It took about a tank and a half for everything to break in properly. After that, it was smooth as silk.

hey melbourne, i think that maybe the wick wasnt quite oxidized enough, and after vaping a tank or two the wick from the coils had gotten more oxidized thus the better flavor. so i guess thats whats meant when people talk about the break-in period.

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
Sorry, don't actually have a Cobra so I can't make a comment on it's draw but I do use a BliSS that has extremely small airholes and is a relatively tight draw compared to my AC9 and Z-Atty Pro, but, i still get big ole huge vapor clouds on it as well. Point is, you should be able to get plenty of vapor and flavor no matter what the air hole size is....that's why I would suggest looking at the wick....

I do know that the "deck"(part between the vapor chamber and tank)on the Cobra is really thick like the AC9 and can be prone to a sorta "vapor-lock" if air return to the tank is not taken care of and this can hurt wicking. If yer wick is rolled so thick that it completely fills the wick hole then air return can lessen.....I suggest making the wick so there is plenty of space between the wick and wick hole. Wicking will be better and you should always have juice to the coil.

Keep at it.

Yes good point. If you have all the filler screws in and a wick that fills the wick hole, you will get an airlock and this makes wicking poor. You know you've got an airlock if when you try to fill it the juice wants to come back out the filler hole, or just comes out of the middle of the wick.

I've had best results on the Cobra with a really tightly rolled wick (about 70mm x 40mm), rolled to a diameter of about 2mm, so it leaves some space around the wick. Also the body of the Cobra is part of the circuit, and the screw holes in the 'deck' sometimes have rough edges on them which can short the wick. I found I got improved results, and fewer hot spots by insulating the wick with cling film (or saran wrap as I think you call it there!) just where it goes through the body. It's a bodge and a ceramic or high temperature plastic insulator or something would be better, but it has helped in my case anyway.

Yes the draw is tight as Genisis style atty's go. Make sure the air hole is clear of any debris but beyond that to loosen the draw you will have to drill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread