Help with coil wrapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi all and thanks in advance for all help.

I have

26ga + 32ga SSL
28ga + 32ga SSL

And for the life of me I can't workout how to get a coile wrapped at a decent ohms for a single coil to go in my aromamizer v2 single deck.

Can anyone help and suggest what's the best ohms to be using for single coil.

Thanks
hi and welcome,
What do you consider "decent ohms"?
Is the wire you have single core or multiples? (ie. 2X28AWG, 3X28AWG)
Which battery device are you using?
Have you checked to see if a mesh deck is available for the Aromamizer V2?

Cheers
I

Derekwatt01

Oct 13, 2020
Hi thanks

I'm on the v2 mesh deck just now but wanting to use my single coil deck.
My wire i have is Clapton.
I'm using a agies X just now with my aromamizer v2.

I mean by decent ohms between .20 and .18 but to be totally honest I have no idea I'm looking at what the mesh ohms are.

As I said I don't really know whats the best setup with the wire so looking for advice on what to try.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Are you using a regulated device? If so there is no point in aiming for such a low resistance.

Understanding the relationship between power and coil resistance | E-Cigarette Forum

My recommendation, wrap a single 26G 7 wrap simple coil. Perfect your wicking and tune in the wattage that makes you happy. Then get fancy.

Understanding the relationship between wire thickness, surface area and mass

If you have two lengths of wire with one twice the thickness of the other, the thicker wire will have twice the surface area but four times the mass.
Once you understand this it's easy to see that coils made from lots of wraps of thin wire will be exponentially more efficient.
This equates to either less power used for the same vapor production, or the same power for more vapor production.

Last edited:

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
@Derekwatt01, flat wire is 0.2mm thick or more. That's the thickness you want if you wish to try any.

And I'd second the 26 AWG.

As if you want to decrease resistance, increase mass, increase heat and vapour production you want to go for heavier lower gauge number wire.

Hopefully this may be of some use to you.

But one thing that we don't know yet is what ID are you using or thinking of using for the coil? As that will make a difference.

Reactions: Izan

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Tried to work it out there at say .18ohms and was something silly like 2 wraps

That's correct for a clapton with a 26 gauge core and 32 gauge wrap with a 3mm ID.

My recommendation, wrap a single 26G 7 wrap simple coil. Perfect your wicking and tune in the wattage that makes you happy. Then get fancy.

IMO, this ^^ is a really good idea :). I modeled it in Steam Engine using a 3mm ID and this is the result. It ends up being 0.54 ohms. I had to plug in a heat flux of 380 to get the watts up to 45. 380 is on the hot side but I have vaped higher than that and liked it. Lowering the HF number to 300, giving you a cooler coil, requires a mod setting of 35 watts. The heat capacity number of 48 is good, you will not experience much coil heat up time in this watt range or a bit lower.

I don't use clapton coils, so I don't know the Steam Engine's 'Wire wizard' well at all. From a quick look at it, if you model a clapton build there you should be able to get the appropriate information from it to help you a lot with these coil designs too. I did that to confirm your clapton resistance and number of wraps, but I don't have the time right now to look at exactly how to take it further.

I vaped mech mods exclusively for a few years before switching to regulated. With a mech mod your build resistance defines the watts you get so resistance is really important. With regulated mods like yours it makes for all intents and purposes no difference. So my advice to you is ... don't sweat the resistance ;)

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
The easiest way is just to calculate the resistance of a capton is calculate the core coil wire/s. This will be the component carrying the current as it will invariably be the thickest wire and there the lowest resistance path. There is an exotic coil calculator on steam-engine but I don't like using it. Working off the core wire resistance isn't completely accurate but as a ball park figure it's good enough.

The truth is that even with extensive experience there is always a testing phase with any atomizer where you work out what coil suits it.
Some work best with simple round wire, some work better with claptons.I've found generally with 22mm RTAs below 50 watts round wire works best. 24 mm and above usually favour exotics and more that 60 watts. This is a gross generalisation and just from my experience and taste, testing and experimentaion is almost always required. There is no magic bullet coil imho.

• Useful

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
@Derekwatt01 I don't have that rta, but my suggestion is, since you have those wires on hand, start with the thinner one, 28ga + 32ga SSL and wrap a 2.5mm I'd 6 wraps. Should come out to about 0.6ohm and vape well in the 25-45w range. If you want more out of it, try the thicker core, same configuration, just more wattage...

That's where I'd start any way....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread