Help with my first mosfet build

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMayberry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2014
Virginia
I have never used a mosfet before and would like some advice on how to do it simply, but properly. Which ones to get, resisitors needed or not, etc etc. I have been reading and reading, but everyone seems to have different ideas in mind. All I want to accomplish is the smallest 18650 box mod possible, with a visually appealing button. I could go simple with a mechanical style switch, but again, small and appealling is desired. Btw, single 18650, not dual.

Thanks in advance for any help, advice, links, and even pictures! :D

Mike_S

Sep 16, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Vgs is 10V?

They're just giving you an example of the Rds value at a Vgs of 10V. It will still turn on with a much lower gate voltage and at a lower drain to source current, but the value of Rds on will be higher. Check Fig. 6 in the datasheet.

OP- resistors aren't necessary, but it wouldn't hurt to use a high value pull down resistor on the gate to make sure the mosfet is fully off when the switch is open.

GMayberry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2014
Virginia
They're just giving you an example of the Rds value at a Vgs of 10V. It will still turn on with a much lower gate voltage and at a lower drain to source current, but the value of Rds on will be higher. Check Fig. 6 in the datasheet.

OP- resistors aren't necessary, but it wouldn't hurt to use a high value pull down resistor on the gate to make sure the mosfet is fully off when the switch is open.

But if I put a hard switch for on and off it would be ok right?

Could someone post a drawing of how the circuit would look to make sure I am thinking right? I have no way to post one until later tonight. I am thinking the positive goes from battery to hard switch, hard switch to MOSFET, MOSFET to fire button, fire button to 510. And obviously the grounds. Is this correct?

Last edited:

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
But if I put a hard switch for on and off it would be ok right?

Could someone post a drawing of how the circuit would look to make sure I am thinking right? I have no way to post one until later tonight. I am thinking the positive goes from battery to hard switch, hard switch to MOSFET, MOSFET to fire button, fire button to 510. And obviously the grounds. Is this correct?

Really good mosfet discussion, you get advice on the best mosfet in the market for our use and pictures..

Tact switch and mosfet transistor questions

Kahuna

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
San Francisco
this might help, dont forget to put a master kill switch on the negative side. mosfet.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread