Help with Nicotine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bundy1971

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2015
Cleveland, OH
I purchased my first batch of nicotine: 2 x 100ml/100mg, 100% PG bottles. I bought them from a vendor that seemed to have a pretty good reputation on this and other forums (not sure if I can/should mention their name).

Anyway, when I first uncapped it, I immediately noticed a pretty strong odor. Not really sure how to describe it...maybe a rancid cigarette tobacco smell? It's not overpowering, but very noticeable and when mixed (@ 6mg/ml), it is definitely the prominent flavor and very harsh. It basically ruins the juice, which is a fruit mix that ends up tasting like a tobacco juice, which I don't like.

Did I get a bad batch? Is there anything I can do to get rid of the taste/odor?

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I purchased my first batch of nicotine: 2 x 100ml/100mg, 100% PG bottles. I bought them from a vendor that seemed to have a pretty good reputation on this and other forums (not sure if I can/should mention their name).

Anyway, when I first uncapped it, I immediately noticed a pretty strong odor. Not really sure how to describe it...maybe a rancid cigarette tobacco smell? It's not overpowering, but very noticeable and when mixed (@ 6mg/ml), it is definitely the prominent flavor and very harsh. It basically ruins the juice, which is a fruit mix that ends up tasting like a tobacco juice, which I don't like.

Did I get a bad batch? Is there anything I can do to get rid of the taste/odor?
Sounds like you got some nic that has started to degrade. Contact the vendor and ask for replacement or refund.
Some vendors are known to have what is called a 'peppery' taste that some of our members prefer. Most tho, want it clear and tasteless.
I think it is ok to name your vendor.. We do all the time and don't see any rules against it.

:)

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Sounds like you got some nic that has started to degrade. Contact the vendor and ask for replacement or refund.
Some vendors are known to have what is called a 'peppery' taste that some of our members prefer. Most tho, want it clear and tasteless.
I think it is ok to name your vendor.. We do all the time and don't see any rules against it.

Also, @ 6mg, the sheer volume of pg/vg that you have to add to get it to 6mg should have gotten rid of any taste of tobacco. Most ejuice mixes take some time to age before flavoring comes through. Have you been mixing long?

Bundy1971

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2015
Cleveland, OH
Thanks all.

@Sugar_and_Spice - This is actually my first ever mix. I agree and hoped that the tiny volume of nic to the other ingredients would mask the flavor, but it jumps out. I don't see it going away with steeping, though the other flavors coming through may send it to the back. I don't know that the harshness will subdue though.

btw...the vendor is HiLiq, which got some really good reviews.

I guess my question is, since this is my first batch of nic, when they say "odorless" and "tasteless" is it really that or is there always a taste/odor with nic? I mean, should it smell like straight PG/VG?

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Thanks all.

@Sugar_and_Spice - This is actually my first ever mix. I agree and hoped that the tiny volume of nic to the other ingredients would mask the flavor, but it jumps out. I don't see it going away with steeping, though the other flavors coming through may send it to the back. I don't know that the harshness will subdue though.

btw...the vendor is HiLiq, which got some really good reviews.

I guess my question is, since this is my first batch of nic, when they say "odorless" and "tasteless" is it really that or is there always a taste/odor with nic? I mean, should it smell like straight PG/VG?
It should be clear-see through and tasteless. I have heard that HiLiq is good but I have never used them myself. I really would send them an email and ask for a replacement. As nic ages and is exposed to light and heat it will start to degrade. However, in litre bottles, especially dark amber colored ones that process is slowed down. Once it arrives in your home place it in a freezer and keep out only what you intend to mix with.

This is simply old nic, imo. It must be the last of whatever container they were pulling from......email.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
This does sound like older nicotine. It should be clear if it's freebase.

Just to clarify in case you do decide to try nic salts (although I would probably ask the vendor for some replacement nic first) it should arrive very pale yellow. I can "smell" my nic but it doesn't really smell like tobacco at all, there is the faintest hint of what I might term "sour-salty" but when I mix, it is almost tasteless to me. I use lots of fruit and dessert flavors, if my nic were harsh or older, I'm fairly certain I would taste it (I use 18 mg/ml for mixing).

Can you post a pic of the nicotine? That might give you a more definitive answer although IMO 6 mg/ml of freebase shouldn't taste harsh, though I imagine there are some differences with every vendor.

Good luck getting it resolved. :)

Anna

• Agree
Reactions: dc99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread