Help with ohmsss

Status
Not open for further replies.

toketreez

Feb 19, 2015
Okay so I have a SS v2 mod clone and little boy clone atty. Now my batters is just a 18650, 3.7 V 2500mah and 22g canter wite. And its just seems like my ecig isn't vaping at its fully potential and I thought it's because of its ohms im even to sure because i had a previous battery and I felt the battery got shot or something so i bought a new and even with the new it doesn't seem to fire up all that quick and I do not have a ohm reader. Is it my ohms or is it another problem?

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
You have a couple of problems (maybe even more)

1. You MUST purchase an ohm reader.
2. 22 gauge wire take a LONG time to heat up.
3. What brand of battery did you buy? It it an IMR battery?
4. Have you read up on battery safety, Ohm's Law, amp draw and understand how it all works when it comes to vaping?

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
depends on the box mod.... some box mods are mechanical ( unregulated)

and 22 ga is rather thick, requires a hi output battery ( VTC4-5 etc) and get an ohm meter, the 20$ for the meter will save you alot of money on trashed batteries..
spend some time becoming aquainted with Ohms Law... it will give you insight to your question too..

you may want to consider going to 26 or 28 ga...

toketreez

Feb 19, 2015
Lmfao I've been vaping for a little while but I guess I did a rookie mistake on battery safety I probably should be having no hand right now because my battery could've exploded and have two batteries(ones a new one and it literally just has a sticker on it that says 18650, 3.7 V . and 2500mah and my other is IMR18650 3.7V 2000 mah and has a V1 dont know if thats relevent) and I heard from RIPtrippers off of youtube said a VTC 3 or VTC 4 would be way better battery for that kind of wire. and also whats the best way to get a low resistence.

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Dutchess County, New York
Here's a pic to help you with ohms.

Note: it is NOT a replacement for an Ohms reader.

Personally, I use a digital multimeter. It can do so much more, check battery voltages, I use it for home AC wiring, fixing guitar cords and amps, and car repairs. Nice ones at Sears Craftsman for under $30.

Good luck, friend...

Coil%20pic.jpg

toketreez

Feb 19, 2015
Damn so I was right it was the battery damnit and the new battery I got is just going to end up like my first if I dont get some new wire soon. Thanks guy appreciate it you guys helped me with my question for sure. Its because my wires are thick that might battery cant do its job so I need either new wire or a new battery .......NIT thanks though guyys but yeaahhhh another question whats the best way to get low ohms ? you think if i read the ohms law I would get my answer?

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Okay. You MUST know the Amp rating of your battery and you MUST measure your build before you put it on you mechanical mod and fire it. If you don't do this you will not know if you are safe. Your battery could vent.

Maybe you can post pictures of your batteries and we can help you figure out their Amp rating

=========

I highly recommend you spend some time with Baditude (one of our resident battery experts) and visit his blogs. You are now 100% in control of your own safety (and others around you). Make sure you purchase an ohm reader and a voltmeter or DMM so you can measure your builds, check for shorts and measure the remaining charge on your batteries.

Baditudes Blogs. The blogs regarding mods and rebuildables are listed below:

BATTERIES

9. Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected ICR?
* Another essential read to understand which batteries are safe to use in mechanical and regulated mods. Includes a frequently updated list of recommended safe-chemistry, high-drain batteries with their specifications.

17. Purple Efest Batteries not as Advertised
* A cautionary blog that reveals that the purple Efest batteries may not have the specifications advertised. Also includes a commentary on "continuous discharge ratings" vs "pulse discharge ratings" of battery specs.

OHM'S LAW

14. Ohm's Law for Dummies (Vapers)
* My attempt at explaining Ohm's Law in layman terms and how it relates to vaping.

16. Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations
* As simple as it is to use, some people have a tough time grasping the concept. Warning: Includes graphic photos of mod explosions.

MECHANICAL MODS & REBUILDABLES

7. Information Resources for Your First RBA
* An essential read and reference guide for someone new to rebuilding coils. Includes a multitude of useful links on battery safety, mod safety, coil meters, coil building, and the differences in the three types of RBA's.

15. Inexpensive Mechanical Mod/RDA Setup
* A response to the frequently asked question on how to get into rebuildable atomizers with a mechanical mod inexpensively. Includes a list of commonly used tools and supplies for rebuilding and where to find them.

BATTERIES - WHERE TO BUY

Only buy batteries from a reputable supplier (not ebay or Amazon) as there are many counterfeit batteries being sold. Here are several reputable battery suppliers in the US.

* RTD Vapor
* Illumination Supply**
* Lighthound
* Orbtronics
* Battery Junction**

** Ships to Canada

Last edited:

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
Here's a pic to help you with ohms.

Note: it is NOT a replacement for an Ohms reader.

Personally, I use a digital multimeter. It can do so much more, check battery voltages, I use it for home AC wiring, fixing guitar cords and amps, and car repairs. Nice ones at Sears Craftsman for under $30.

Good luck, friend...

Coil%20pic.jpg

good visual reference... I like it :)

mudram99

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2014
South Jawja, United States
toke, please don't take this wrong. BUT if you are not fishing please STOP right now what your doing before you hurt yourself or someone else. You can learn everything you need to safely and pleasurably vape here on this site, starting with the basics of battery safety! I am offering this info in hopes it will help, even though I think I smell aroma de fish. :)

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013

deach

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2011
IL
You've been given good advice here, please follow it. Honestly if you have to continue to ask "how do I get low ohms" you have no business even trying to wrap coils yourself after the information presented here. I'm not being rude, however perhaps learning, listening, reading, and paying attention may save your hand, face, mouth, and or the people around you. PLEASE. Learn before you go on asking "how do I get low ohms?". good luck

toketreez

Feb 19, 2015
toke, please don't take this wrong. BUT if you are not fishing please STOP right now what your doing before you hurt yourself or someone else. You can learn everything you need to safely and pleasurably vape here on this site, starting with the basics of battery safety! I am offering this info in hopes it will help, even though I think I smell aroma de fish. :)

... is a fishing ... o-o i have no idea what your talking about so im not going to get offended

toketreez

Feb 19, 2015
You've been given good advice here, please follow it. Honestly if you have to continue to ask "how do I get low ohms" you have no business even trying to wrap coils yourself after the information presented here. I'm not being rude, however perhaps learning, listening, reading, and paying attention may save your hand, face, mouth, and or the people around you. PLEASE. Learn before you go on asking "how do I get low ohms?". good luck

.... No thats not what happen I dont get notifications for when someone replies so I reply ... not seeing if someone comments or not... so thankssssssss...

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
.... No thats not what happen I dont get notifications for when someone replies so I reply ... not seeing if someone comments or not... so thankssssssss...
You have to refresh the page, hit F5.

The little boy is not a beginner's atty, imho.

Are you just looking to chuck clouds? Or do you want a great vaping experience?

For the latter, you need to find your "sweet spot", that is, the right power to the right coil. I really would go with 28g Kanthal to start.

When you go lower ohms, the power goes up dramatically. You can easily overcome your battery if you don't know the resistance of your coil. And the only sure way we all check every coil is with an ohms reader or a DMM.

So, you have a lot here to read through the links.

Good luck on your journey, your learning, your SAFETY and your vaping.

:)

toketreez

Feb 19, 2015
You have to refresh the page, hit F5.

The little boy is not a beginner's atty, imho.

Are you just looking to chuck clouds? Or do you want a great vaping experience?

For the latter, you need to find your "sweet spot", that is, the right power to the right coil. I really would go with 28g Kanthal to start.

When you go lower ohms, the power goes up dramatically. You can easily overcome your battery if you don't know the resistance of your coil. And the only sure way we all check every coil is with an ohms reader or a DMM.

So, you have a lot here to read through the links.

Good luck on your journey, your learning, your SAFETY and your vaping.

:)

AHaaaaa I get it nowww I just got done reading so basically with ohms law you want to know the amp of you battery so you can figure out what resistence thats perfect for your ecig. and resistence matters on how thick your wire is and how many wrapss. And I figured out my battery is a 10amp so i would need a 0.4 resistence which from looking at you pic that you showed my my 22g with 7 wraps is a perfect resistence for my batterys its just that my battery isnt strong enough to heat my coils as fast a better battery could. so for my battery I need a thinner wire with with less wraps to get the same vape as my thicker wire but it just be a littler easier on my battery. ahahahahahah am I right ??? oh and yeah i really just love to chuck clouds Id love the perfec vaping experience its just i know a little boy is could for those cloudssss which i thinnk i make clouds but i guess im not as i think i am

Last edited:

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
AHaaaaa I get it nowww I just got done reading so basically with ohms law you want to know the amp of you battery so you can figure out what resistence thats perfect for your ecig. and resistence matters on how thick your wire is and how many wrapss. And I figured out my battery is a 10amp so i would need a 0.4 resistence which from looking at you pic that you showed my my 22g with 7 wraps is a perfect resistence for my batterys its just that my battery isnt strong enough to heat my coils as fast a better battery could. so for my battery I need a thinner wire with with less wraps to get the same vape as my thicker wire but it just be a littler easier on my battery. ahahahahahah am I right ??? oh and yeah i really just love to chuck clouds Id love the perfec vaping experience its just i know a little boy is could for those cloudssss which i thinnk i make clouds but i guess im not as i think i am
From one of Baditude's blogs...
For RBA users: When using the Ohm's Law Calculator to calculate the battery amp draw of a coil in a RBA, always use 4.2 volts as the voltage (a fully charged battery's voltage). You should never pull more amps than the continuous discharge rate in amps for that battery, and you should allow for some safe headroom on top of that.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/baditude/6293-14-ohms-law-dummies-vapers.html

And I can't stress that enough.

And if you had a freshly charged battery, at 0.4 ohms and 4.2 volts, you are OVER your batteries safe discharge!!!

And resistance is dependent on the total length of the wire, the legs and size of the coil, as well as the gauge of the wire. So, what diameter you wrap your coil arround is important.

And when you are delving into the very low sub-ohms, a little change means a whole lot of current change.

I'm not a cloud chaser, I enjoy good flavor first.

You are right, thinner wire (higher gauge) and the right amount of less wraps will give a similar resistance to your 22g at 7 wraps. But big vapor isn't about pushing the low ohms. Getting the proper wick and juice plays a big part of it, as does drawing technique. For example, I can get a nice cloud at 1.5 ohms at 10 watts with a good dripper.

Again, don't get close to 10 amps with your battery. You have to leave room for errors. You must. Cause if you don't, you risk big consequences.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread