Status
Not open for further replies.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
also to help control the flooding/priming, the kanger airflow control valve is awesome, got one for my pt2 this weekend and its killer, i can now vape at a higher wattage, almost like an rda with the clouds.

Yes; march your old protank into the future:
1654500-4.jpg

though personally, I'm waiting for the ego threaded base from the miniaerotanks.

DeliciousClouds

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2014
Nijmegen, Netherlands
Yes; march your old protank into the future:
1654500-4.jpg

though personally, I'm waiting for the ego threaded base from the miniaerotanks.
Liquid seeped into the bottom of the airflow valve with stock coils every few hours and it was driving me crazy. But, I found an easy fix for this if you're not into rebuilding coils: Grab a thin strand of cotton, enough to fit around the coil. Wrap it around the coil and push the cotton into the well with tweezers or whatever thin poking device you prefer to use. This will completely close off the minor gaps around the coil and even boosts vapor production! I don't notice any loss of airflow either.

Edit: This only works if you have a Kanger coil with enclosed wicks. I couldn't get it to work with the old-style coils that have the wicks sticking out. Please keep this in mind. Rebuilding the coils with cotton or rayon is ultimately the best solution.

Last edited:

antony73

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2014
China
There is a world of Protank advice on this forum. My advice, spend good time looking it all up if you want to get the best out of your Protank.

I've hated my Protank with a passion, and I've loved. I've given up on it. And I've gotten it out and vaped on it again.

There are many things that can go wrong with Protanks, but when they do work, they work just great! I've studied so much over the past 3-4 weeks on Protanks, and I think I've got everything I need to know. I've been vaping on it the past two days with not issues at all. Stay with it, and follow all the advice here. It takes time, all good things with vaping take time, patience, practice, trial and error. But all well worth it.

Mcnuggits

Jun 30, 2014
USA
Tried putting cotton around the coil but must have put too much. Restricted the airflow really bad and flooded it like I've never seen before. Got a nice peppery sweet mouthful of juice. Made it a bit smaller and seems a bit better. Will fiddle with it more.

Going to stick with my Protank. I've read a lot of good and personally like the way it's built with the bottom coil and the pyrex glass. No joke i drop my battery at least once a day and cracked more than one plastic tank in the process. Definitely going to lurk the forums and read as much as i can. Going to try and keep it to questions i can't answer with search engines.

Willing to try most anything once so if anybody has more Protank wisdom i'm more than happy to see how it turns out.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Tried putting cotton around the coil but must have put too much. Restricted the airflow really bad and flooded it like I've never seen before. Got a nice peppery sweet mouthful of juice. Made it a bit smaller and seems a bit better. Will fiddle with it more.

Going to stick with my Protank. I've read a lot of good and personally like the way it's built with the bottom coil and the pyrex glass. No joke i drop my battery at least once a day and cracked more than one plastic tank in the process. Definitely going to lurk the forums and read as much as i can. Going to try and keep it to questions i can't answer with search engines.

Willing to try most anything once so if anybody has more Protank wisdom i'm more than happy to see how it turns out.

oh nonono when delicious talked about wrapping the cotton around the coil he mean I believe on the outside of the head; you wrap around the head to block the 2 holes then run it over the top over the coil and close the chimney spire over it;

by wrapping around the outside you cover the holes to prevent leaking instead of hoping that just the right amount of cotton sticks through the hole to prevent leaking

what it sounds like you did was put the cotton down inside the cup!! which is what you do with a vertical coil build btw.... :)

DeliciousClouds

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2014
Nijmegen, Netherlands

Sad to hear it didn't turn out well for you yet. I seem to have gotten it right on my first try, but I used a really thin strand of cotton. When I pushed it in the juice well, barely anything was sticking out above the well line. But then again, I'm using an Aerotank with the enclosed wicks and the Protank coils are different, I believe. If you don't have enclosed wicks then you may have pulled the stock wicks down when stuffing the cotton and created a gap for juice to leak through. I'm really not sure if this works with non-enclosed wicks.

Last edited:

DeliciousClouds

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2014
Nijmegen, Netherlands
oh nonono when delicious talked about wrapping the cotton around the coil he mean I believe on the outside of the head; you wrap around the head to block the 2 holes then run it over the top over the coil and close the chimney spire over it;

by wrapping around the outside you cover the holes to prevent leaking instead of hoping that just the right amount of cotton sticks through the hole to prevent leaking

what it sounds like you did was put the cotton down inside the cup!! which is what you do with a vertical coil build btw.... :)
Yeah, I wrapped it around the coil assembly when it was already attached to the airflow-control base, so basically in the juice well. Then stuffed it good until only a tiny bit was sticking out. You don't put the cotton in the airflow base itself, that will kill the airflow and solves nothing. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

It's just what people who rebuild their coils with cotton already do (making their wicks long and fluffy enough to cover the juice well, or most of it at least), except without having to actually rebuild them. Of course, rebuilding is ultimately the better solution for maximum taste and vapor, but for me it was a real pain to do with Kanger dual-coils. So I think this is an acceptable compromise.

Still no gurgling to report, and the vapor is pretty amazing.

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
I too have had mixed success with my protanks. Cotton wicks definitely help. Using 100%VG juice has been a disaster for me with these tanks... The juice doesn't seem to wick fast enough and then get burned. Adjustable airflow bases also help a lot.

Loose fluffy cotton.
Twist one end of cotton merely to thread it through the coil then tug the fluffy part gently through.
add a fluffy topwick.

Mcnuggits

Jun 30, 2014
USA
Wow i feel kinda dumb now lol. The loose and fluffy part seemed to escape me too. This is much better now!

By the way when you say in the "cup" you mean the cup that holds the coil in it right? Therefore i should wrap the cotton in the cup that surrounds that? (Second cup would be where the 2 bits of wick stick out)

Oh and im also using 100% VG. Johnson Creek Red Oak Tennesse Cured if that matters. (I'ts local so it's the hipster thing to do)

Last edited:

DeliciousClouds

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2014
Nijmegen, Netherlands
Wow i feel kinda dumb now lol. The loose and fluffy part seemed to escape me too. This is much better now!

By the way when you say in the "cup" you mean the cup that holds the coil in it right? Therefore i should wrap the cotton in the cup that surrounds that? (Second cup would be where the 2 bits of wick stick out)

Oh and im also using 100% VG. Johnson Creek Red Oak Tennesse Cured if that matters. (I'ts local so it's the hipster thing to do)
Not in the cup where the coil attaches to, but indeed you rap it at the height where the wicks stick out and then stuff. Though whether this method is successful for those coils I'm not sure. I have the ones where the wicks do not stick out. Just finished wrapping a new piece of cotton and it works good. I'd take pictures of it to clear up any misunderstanding, but my smartphone is dead and I have no alternative. :(

Mcnuggits

Jun 30, 2014
USA
I was going to do the same but i left my phone at work. 2 days now and getting really tired of it deciding to work fine then back to being a PoS. I appreciate all the help but honestly about to break down and go to my local vape shop and get a vivi. The vivi with a 1.8 may not be exactly to my liking but at least it's reliable as far as I've seen. Maybe once i make the attempt to rebuild the coil and switching to liquid that isn't 100% VG might do the trick. Been reading that a lot of people have issues with it in the protank.

"Not in the cup where the coil attaches to, but indeed you rap it at the height where the wicks stick out and then stuff. Though whether this method is successful for those coils I'm not sure. I have the ones where the wicks do not stick out. Just finished wrapping a new piece of cotton and it works good. I'd take pictures of it to clear up any misunderstanding, but my smartphone is dead and I have no alternative. "

I get what you mean, at least i think. I feel it's flooding more now so if you still wanna post a pic whenever you get the chance i won't mind.

Protank II : Nemesis.

Edit: As a last ditch attempt i'm going to try and upload a couple of pics (once i figure it out lol) since i just got my phone dropped off :)

Last edited:

Mcnuggits

Jun 30, 2014
USA
20140701_102821.jpg

this is what i did to replace the flavor wick. When i did the wrap around like DeliciousClouds said i did it in the same "cup" that the wicks stick out and got some pretty ridiculous flooding. Now i'm playing with the flavor wick again since i'm still gurgling. Playing with diff size cotton strips.
20140701_103025.jpg

this is the coil with the stock wick.

Edit: At least i got the pics in :)

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
View attachment 352064

this is what i did to replace the flavor wick. When i did the wrap around like DeliciousClouds said i did it in the same "cup" that the wicks stick out and got some pretty ridiculous flooding. Now i'm playing with the flavor wick again since i'm still gurgling. Playing with diff size cotton strips.
View attachment 352066

this is the coil with the stock wick.

Edit: At least i got the pics in :)

First pic: too much wick; the wick will get soaked and it will expand; when it expands it will block the airflow; when it blocks the airflow you will suck harder; when you suck harder you pull more liquid into the cup/coil, and that's how you floood the coil

Mcnuggits

Jun 30, 2014
USA
First pic: too much wick; the wick will get soaked and it will expand; when it expands it will block the airflow; when it blocks the airflow you will suck harder; when you suck harder you pull more liquid into the cup/coil, and that's how you floood the coil

Ah ok. I see. Gonna make it smaller.

Attachments

• 20140701_113748.jpg
    20140701_113748.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread