Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

holly6237

Apr 28, 2010
Las Vegas
This is going to be kind of long...sorry.

I have recently switched to 5 volts and I really like the warmer vapor produced. I use tanks with dual coil punched cartos at 2.5 ohms. The problem is I get a burnt taste almost immediately with all the juices I have and ordered to try.

At first I thought maybe the holes in the cartos weren't big enough, tried making them bigger, still got that nasty taste.

Then, I thought it was the base. All my juices were 50/50. I switched to an 80%pg/20%vg mix. Still getting a burnt taste almost immediately. Then I thought maybe it was the particular flavors I like (all fruit flavors) so I ordered a bunch of different samples. So far none of them have worked, they still taste burnt.

I asked a few of my favorite suppliers for some recommendations and they all say they've received no complaints about their juices using tanks. So I know I've got something wrong here.

Oddly, I have ONE flavor that has worked consistently and it is a 50/50 mix (tried other juices from that supplier and they don't work) So what the heck? Why does that only one work and none of the others? I considered the possibility the mod I have has a problem, but if the one juice works, then I don't think that would be it.

Should I switch to 3 ohms cartos? Would that help?

I'm about to give up on the cartos (but I really LOVE them) and go back to dripping. If that doesn't work, I'm giving up on 5 volts, but I really don't want to.

Please help! I'm completely bummed. :-(

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
If you're getting a burnt taste, I'd definitely go with a 3 ohm carto before ditching the mod. With the 2.5 ohm cartos, you're vaping at 10 watts; lots of people do, but for me personally (and the juices I vape), this is too hot. 3 ohm carto would drop the watts to just over 8. If you haven't, check out this ohm's law calculator to check vaping wattage - Ohm's Law Calculator.

holly6237

Apr 28, 2010
Las Vegas
I was hoping it was just the cartos. That's an easy fix. It looks like 3.0 ohm cartos at 5v will give me about the same results as I was getting at 3 volts before. Hopefully no more burnt juice! Nice thing, once I get this worked out, I have LOTS of juice to try. :)

I blame my husband for this, I was happy with 3.7 volts until he came home with a 5 volt mod and got me hooked. haha!

Thanks so much for the advice!

holly6237

Apr 28, 2010
Las Vegas
I thought of the cartos being burnt up and tried using new ones. Didn't make any difference. Oh well, my husband will use the rest of the cartos I have and I'll order some different ones. He says he hasn't had a single problem, but maybe he just doesn't care if the taste is a little burnt. :)

You know my husband did almost come home with a Provari but changed his mind at the last minute!

washvap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2011
wa
If it's burnt then toss them away. Your not inhaling vapor anymore but, instead you are inhaling smoke since the filler material is being burnt. Hence the taste your getting. Do you let the cartos sit for at least 15-30 minutes before your using them? Do you fill them prior to putting them in a tank? These are important points since this might solve the problems that you are having with your carto tank.

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
I thought of the cartos being burnt up and tried using new ones. Didn't make any difference. Oh well, my husband will use the rest of the cartos I have and I'll order some different ones. He says he hasn't had a single problem, but maybe he just doesn't care if the taste is a little burnt. :)

You know my husband did almost come home with a Provari but changed his mind at the last minute!

:shock:

:blink:

:rolleyes:

;)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

holly6237

Apr 28, 2010
Las Vegas
If it's burnt then toss them away. Your not inhaling vapor anymore but, instead you are inhaling smoke since the filler material is being burnt. Hence the taste your getting. Do you let the cartos sit for at least 15-30 minutes before your using them? Do you fill them prior to putting them in a tank? These are important points since this might solve the problems that you are having with your carto tank.

Yep, tried all of those things. They would work for a few minutes and then taste burnt, that's why I originally thought the juice wasn't getting in the cartos, that they were just drying out, but that's not the case because I do have one juice that works fine. I just don't want to vape only one flavor. :) That's no fun. I've gone through so many cartos the past couple of weeks! Glad they are pretty cheap, but still, it is getting costly.

Then when I thought it was the juice, I tried a bunch of different flavors, mixes, even juice made just for high voltage, and still only the one would work.

Hopefully I'm just using the wrong kind of cartomizer and some new ones will do the trick.

washvap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2011
wa
Yep, tried all of those things. They would work for a few minutes and then taste burnt, that's why I originally thought the juice wasn't getting in the cartos, that they were just drying out, but that's not the case because I do have one juice that works fine. I just don't want to vape only one flavor. :) That's no fun. I've gone through so many cartos the past couple of weeks! Glad they are pretty cheap, but still, it is getting costly.

Then when I thought it was the juice, I tried a bunch of different flavors, mixes, even juice made just for high voltage, and still only the one would work.

Hopefully I'm just using the wrong kind of cartomizer and some new ones will do the trick.

That might be the problem too. Which cartos are you using? The new ones might just do the trick for you if everything works right.

holly6237

Apr 28, 2010
Las Vegas
I'm using the 2.5 ohm dual coils from Madvapes. I ordered some of the 3.0 ohm cartos from them, I'm sure that will fix the problem. The one flavor I have works fine at 2.5, so I'm sure the others just will work at 3.0.

If those don't work, then I will think maybe it's my mod. Could be it's putting out a little more power than it should (I know I could test it if I really wanted to). I really doubt it though. And even if it is, I know they will fix it up for me!

I'm sure all of this is just me not knowing what I'm doing...as usual. LOL.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
I'm using the 2.5 ohm dual coils from Madvapes. I ordered some of the 3.0 ohm cartos from them, I'm sure that will fix the problem.

You're drying out your cartos one way or another... either by not filling first or they aren't feeding fast enough... or some similar problem. The 2.5 ohm dual coils have two 5 ohm coils. Those should be happy well beyond 6.0v and should be almost unburnable (unless dry) at 5.0v

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
You're drying out your cartos one way or another... either by not filling first or they aren't feeding fast enough... or some similar problem. The 2.5 ohm dual coils have two 5 ohm coils. Those should be happy well beyond 6.0v and should be almost unburnable (unless dry) at 5.0v
How many watts do you need to run a 2.5 ohm dual coil? Doesn't seem like an eGo would be big enough. Never used one so I'm asking.

holly6237

Apr 28, 2010
Las Vegas

Hmmm...now I'm wondering because I filled up a couple of different 2.5 ohm cartos I had (not punched, no tank) and I got the same results. It would be fine for a few puffs and then burn, and by a few puffs, I literally mean 2.

My hubby continues to vape away happily with no problems making me jealous, but at least my one flavor works, though I'm getting a little tired of it. :)

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
How many watts do you need to run a 2.5 ohm dual coil? Doesn't seem like an eGo would be big enough. Never used one so I'm asking.

The OP is at 5.0v. That will create 10 watts with a 2.5 ohm. An ego (genuine joye regulated around 3.2 to 3.4v) is going to generate around 4.5 watts with that carto. The amount of vapor it can produce at just over 4 watts is negligible.

Hmmm...now I'm wondering because I filled up a couple of different 2.5 ohm cartos I had (not punched, no tank) and I got the same results. It would be fine for a few puffs and then burn, and by a few puffs, I literally mean 2.

What I'm really wondering is if your husband (or you for that matter) has a multimeter in the garage somewhere. A 1.5 ohm dual coil can scorch some juices at 5.0v. I wonder if madvapes might not have sent you the wrong cartos. They've been very accurate with my orders, but I've worked shipping in a warehouse and mis-picks do happen no matter how good the inventory system is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread