Hey, battery wrapping companies...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Instead of some of you hating me and calling me unfair, merciless, and a host of names I can’t print here, how about joining our community and working with us instead of just trying to make money off of us?

Ditch the preposterous ratings, stop swapping cells without changing the wrap, forget about using cells with inconsistent performance, learn about how to accurately rate the cells you wrap, and get your datasheets and safety test paperwork in order.

Our community just isn’t going to accept questionable business practices anymore.

So stop complaining and become part of our community! Work with us to provide decent cells that are accurately rated and sold at a fair price and we will gladly give you our money!

I am always available to discuss any aspect of this with you if you want to contact me privately.

UpNorth

Sep 3, 2018
    Tundra, Minnesota
    You know what Mooch, perhaps we should just bypass all the questionable companies and start our own Company for the community, community owned, community financed, I smell one heck of an opportunity to be had here.
    This needs some research and a gofundme page. Just saying......
    By the way thanks for answering my question about the Sony batts yesterday on facebook so quickly!!!! Really appreciate it.

ScottP

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Instead of some of you hating me and calling me unfair, merciless, and a host of names I can’t print here, how about joining our community and working with us instead of just trying to make money off of us?

Ditch the preposterous ratings, stop swapping cells without changing the wrap, forget about using cells with inconsistent performance, learn about how to accurately rate the cells you wrap, and get your datasheets and safety test paperwork in order.

Our community just isn’t going to accept questionable business practices anymore.

So stop complaining and become part of our community! Work with us to provide decent cells that are accurately rated and sold at a fair price and we will gladly give you our money!

I am always available to discuss any aspect of this with you if you want to contact me privately.

Sadly most of those "companies" are probably less companies and more some Chinese guy with some child labor buying reject batteries in bulk and having the kids do the rewrap. What you are asking would require them to actually give a :censored: and would cost them both more time and money than they care too. As long as they are making money I don't expect they will want to change. The best we can do is make sure as many people as possible are educated on where to buy batteries so we can deprive these :censored: of any money. Then and only then will they change. Don't get me wrong, I agree with what you said 100%, I just don't think they will listen.

PS. If you happen to be one of the guys selling crappy rewraps to unsuspecting
    victims...err, I mean customers, if what I said makes you mad then prove me wrong. Do something about it. Otherwise you can go die in a fire, just like your customers probably will.

Old Greybeard

ECF Veteran
    Aug 31, 2018
    Cumbria
    www.e-cigarette-forum.com
    You know what Mooch, perhaps we should just bypass all the questionable companies and start our own Company for the community, community owned, community financed, I smell one heck of an opportunity to be had here.

I agree with you, @UpNorth, but there is one flaw in your otherwise excellent suggestion.

Counterfeiters.

These bags of :censored: have caused more grief and reputational damage than you can possibly imagine. As a tech who has worked in many sectors it keeps popping up in the most surprising places, and is almost impossible to stamp out. One sector I know buys much more in the way of spares than it needs and independently tests them, to try and root this practice out due to safety concerns.

I can guarantee you that within a short time of bringing a product to market, if it is any good, or any money to be made, someone will clone it. You've then got a problem, how do you police this infringement? IP and Trademark rights are only effective if you can actually act against the fruadsters, and that can be extremely expensive and difficult to achieve.

Even the corporate giant Microsoft has pretty much given up on that score.

So yes, I'd be the first one to support an initiative like that, but long term, how could we maintain the quality?

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    @Old Greybeard - Being involved in the tech industry myself, I could never understand why the vaping community has such a high acceptance to purchasing clones. Would they purchase a cloned iPhone or Mercedes? I doubt it. But yet they are comfortable buying a clone battery and mec that together has the exploding power to blow a hole in your head. Aside from the dangers it is also very damaging to the industry.

ScottP

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    @Old Greybeard - Being involved in the tech industry myself, I could never understand why the vaping community has such a high acceptance to purchasing clones. Would they purchase a cloned iPhone or Mercedes? I doubt it. But yet they are comfortable buying a clone battery and mec that together has the exploding power to blow a hole in your head. Aside from the dangers it is also very damaging to the industry.

I can tell you why. An iPhone has a crap ton of high end tech in it and that costs money. So a clone that even came close in specs would be close in price as well. Some of the "name brand" mechs charged $200-$400 for a 510 connector, a hollow tube, a magnet, a spring, and a button. Really? Same thing with tanks and drippers. There are drippers out there that for no reason other than blatant price gouging are insanely priced for what they are. So in the vape world the only reason to buy some of those items is if you have more money than brains and a big enough ego to feel like you need a "status symbol" for a vape. As for batteries, there is no excuse for buying cheap raw batteries when the name brand versions aren't even expensive to start with.

Although to be fair, I kind of feel the same about buying an iPhone. Galaxy for life!

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    I can tell you why. An iPhone has a crap ton of high end tech in it and that costs money. So a clone that even came close in specs would be close in price as well. Some of the "name brand" mechs charged $200-$400 for a 510 connector, a hollow tube, a magnet, a spring, and a button. Really? Same thing with tanks and drippers. There are drippers out there that for no reason other than blatant price gouging are insanely priced for what they are. So in the vape world the only reason to buy some of those items is if you have more money than brains and a big enough ego to feel like you need a "status symbol" for a vape. As for batteries, there is no excuse for buying cheap raw batteries when the name brand versions aren't even expensive to start with.

Although to be fair, I kind of feel the same about buying an iPhone. Galaxy for life!

The cost to make an iPhone is ~$200 give or take a few bucks. Same can be said about a Samsung. A clone, which there are many, can produce a visually identical product for ¼ the price. The Android OS is open source which means it is free with the exception of some licencing fees for the market place which does not have to be used. Free OS, add your own launcher (or even download a free one) to make it look like iOS and you have a iPhone clone. We don’t see many of them here but I can tell you the smartphone market is riddled with them. Ever been to Canal Street in NY? Should be renamed to Clone street – you can purchase anything and everything as a clone.

Having being involved with manufacturing I understand the cost behind certain products. The amount of material to make a tube mec is quite significant and very costly. Add local hand labor and you have a pricey copper/brass/SS tube.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Can you tell which one is a clone?
    fake-iphone-back-comparison-780x585.jpg

ScottP

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    @Old Greybeard Would they purchase a cloned iPhone? I doubt it.

Same can be said about a Samsung. A clone, which there are many, can produce a visually identical product for ¼ the price.

If you consider Samsung phones as iPhone clones then you destroyed your own theory from your first post since Samsung sells significantly MORE phones than Apple does. By the way the iOS is free to Apple as well since they made it in house. Although considering Samsung makes the screens for the latest iPhones, maybe the iPhone is actually a Samsung clone.

The amount of material to make a tube mec is quite significant and very costly.

LOL

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Reality, Samsung copied the iPhone…but we can save that for another discussion (FYI – I am not a iPhone user). And my comment above was to point out that Samsung is also cloned

You criticized child labor in your first post. Clone manufactures are not under the watchful eye of the many human rights agencies. They do not follow guidelines or adhere to regulations. They work in a toxic environment and use toxic materials because they are cheap. They do not care if the product works or not, or is damaging to the end user as long as they are able to con the consumer. And they use children for labor!

Robin Becker

ECF Veteran
    Feb 3, 2018
    Berlin
    2 days ago, Enercig posted on their website the following thread:
    Vaping with EnerCig: now even safer – EnerCig
    They even started to add some additional specifications on their website. I think it shows how much trust they have in Mooch and it will be very interesting to see, if their decision to reduce their CDR will harm their business?!

mimöschen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 15, 2016
    You criticized child labor in your first post. Clone manufactures are not under the watchful eye of the many human rights agencies. They do not follow guidelines or adhere to regulations. They work in a toxic environment and use toxic materials because they are cheap. They do not care if the product works or not, or is damaging to the end user as long as they are able to con the consumer. And they use children for labor!

Even when "agencies" have a "watchful eye" on companies, there's absolutely no warranty, that there's no child labor involved. On the contrary.

Imported food/coffee/tea/cocoa/flowers? Child labour. Gifting flowers to your valentine is more an assassination attempt than a sign of love btw, because chances are that those flowers are highly contaminated.
    Clothing? Child labour and contaminated with cancerous additives. No matter which brand you buy.
    Leather of any sort? The same. 90% of the world's leather is produced in Bangladesh.
    Gravel, bricks and cobblestone? Child labour in India.
    Recycling valuable resources from our waste? Huge dumpsites in Africa worked by children that don't even reach maturity because of the toxic fumes.
    Gems? Next time you put that diamond encrusted ring on the finger of your partner, you can be sure sure, that a 6 year old lost his life, because he worked himself to death for it.
    The list goes on and on.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Even when "agencies" have a "watchful eye" on companies, there's absolutely no warranty, that there's no child labor involved. On the contrary.

Imported food/coffee/tea/cocoa/flowers? Child labour. Gifting flowers to your valentine is more an assassination attempt than a sign of love btw, because chances are that those flowers are highly contaminated.
    Clothing? Child labour and contaminated with cancerous additives. No matter which brand you buy.
    Leather of any sort? The same. 90% of the world's leather is produced in Bangladesh.
    Gravel, bricks and cobblestone? Child labour in India.
    Recycling valuable resources from our waste? Huge dumpsites in Africa worked by children that don't even reach maturity because of the toxic fumes.
    Gems? Next time you put that diamond encrusted ring on the finger of your partner, you can be sure sure, that a 6 year old lost his life, because he worked himself to death for it.
    The list goes on and on.

I am well aware of that and do my best to be conscience with what I purchase. Buying into child labor is difficult to avoid with todays mass consumption society. But with a little effort we can do our part to reduce the amount of financial support that goes into child labor. Supporting a clone market, be it vape products, handbags or mobile phones is not what I consider as putting forth our best efforts. Not only are we supporting child labor, but we are also destroying the very markets in which we are passionate about. A clone market relies heavily on an authentic market in order to produce clones….it’s the nature of the game. Without supporting that authentic market we will have neither. And if we are willing to spend a little more for something that is authentic, local markets will take notice and start to emerge.

I support Mooch’s word 110% but fear it is falling onto deaf ears. These companies are not going to listen or change their ways if they are still generating a profit. So how do we put a stop to this? We can start by being more conscience about the products we buy.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hundertwasser
    wzRK88Z.jpg

Battery wrappers, here are some words for you...

You body-snatching Baboons
    You bilious barbecued bald-headed budgerigars
    You four-fingered odd-toed ungulate pockmarks
    You tin-hatted profiteering Pithecanthropic mountebanks
    You miserable dunderheaded lily-livered idiotic bootlegging brigands

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA

Much of the battery buying public buys what's convenient, cheap, and available.

BTW, I like your forum name. It reminds me of one of my favorite comedians.

41QBDD4B1HL.jpg

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Much of the battery buying public buys what's convenient, cheap, and available.

BTW, I like your forum name. It reminds me of one of my favorite comedians.

41QBDD4B1HL.jpg

:lol:…I know of Ron White but have never seen that. TBH, that was the handle I wanted to use, but being drunk at the time it came out as Punk In Drublic! :D

Reactions: DaveP
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread