Hi from a future REO owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cahdek

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2013
Sacramento, CA
I've been doing research on the REO mods and im convinced. Haven't bought one yet because I cant decide between Grand or VV Grand. I plan to order a RM2 at the same time.

I 've watched videos and read blogs on rebuilding and it seems super simple. Ive rebuilt protank and evod heads but haven't tried a REAL rba.

So, I guess what im saying is... hi!

VV or Grand?

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Just had to come take a peek at the potential new REOnaut. Howdy! I used to rebuild mini Vivis, and yes, the RM2 is way easier (and more flexible for build variations).

I'm big on the Grand, but I've been strictly Mech. for some time now. One thing, I would say (just my own personal opinion) is that you can get a vape from a mech. that you can't get from a VV.

RedhatPat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2012
Lancaster, Pa
Howdy Cah, all depends on your background. If you haven't had much time with mechs then I vote on the variable voltage grand. If you wanna have it mimic a grand you can set the wheel to 4.2 v then after a few vapes lower it to 4.1 then 4.0, etc :lol:

But if you do settle on a grand, make sure you have a saftey fuse or a kick on hand. If any Reo is your first bottom juice feeding mod then you'll enjoy it whichever you choose. Deep down, we all know eventually you will own both models. Let's put our cards on the table here, folks.

Welcome to an organic, some would say orgasmic, level of vaping you're about to embark on. Aka. Squonking.

Stay strong, and vape on brother!

RHP

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Cahdek, you really can't go wrong either way. Love my grands but also love my VV grand. I shoulda saved the $6 bucks on shipping incurred by ordering them separately (and a whole lot of anxiety) and just ordered them both together. Both are special devices, one trades mechanical reliability / simplicity and being able to submerge it (grand) with one of the best chipsets in the biz, a whole bunch of adjustability and the convenience offered by a VV device. Their both "must haves" but if I only had to live with one, I'd go with a grand cause it just is what it is, the most simple to use, most durable mod you can buy, it ain't afraid of water and it straight up delivers on an ... kicking vape.

RHP is right about having some protection, a few spare springs are highly recommended in the event you do get a bad atty or build a bad RBA. On the grand the spring just collapses if a short occurs, dropping the battery out of contact and ending your vape. Just cure the short in your heater, slap in a new spring and its back on. I have never needed one yet, but glad that I got some. Nothing like a 5 dollar part screwing up a million dollar vape :)

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
Howdy Cah, all depends on your background. If you haven't had much time with mechs then I vote on the variable voltage grand. If you wanna have it mimic a grand you can set the wheel to 4.2 v then after a few vapes lower it to 4.1 then 4.0, etc :lol:

But if you do settle on a grand, make sure you have a saftey fuse or a kick on hand. If any Reo is your first bottom juice feeding mod then you'll enjoy it whichever you choose. Deep down, we all know eventually you will own both models. Let's put our cards on the table here, folks.

Welcome to an organic, some would say orgasmic, level of vaping you're about to embark on. Aka. Squonking.

Stay strong, and vape on brother!

RHP

The other way to mimic the Grand . . . . . . (I'm giggling already) . . . . . is to set your VV device to 25-30 watts . . . . . .

. . . . . . oh . .. . .. . . no? ;) (oh, well)

RedhatPat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2012
Lancaster, Pa
Amen to that. Grands are like guns (in a good way) to me, and I'm not smart enough to responsibly own firearms yet. :laugh:

You're gonna need a grand if you wanna vape a .5 ohm coil off a fresh battery at 4.2 volts we're talking like damn near fiddy watts!! Enough plumes to make it rain but it's only rewarding to those that have done their homework first.

So my recommendation would be for you to look for a used (I call blems, character) Reo Grand in the classys, and buy yourself a brand spankin new VVG from reosmods.com, and add a couple of robert's smock tech mini cartos to your order so you can vape your vvg right out of the mailbox.

Thats what I did not so long ago and haven't looked back since.

RHP

RedhatPat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2012
Lancaster, Pa
The kick by evolv clips onto your battery and turns your grand into a variable voltage grand basically. (or VW if you wanna get technical) Otherwise you'll only be able to vape at the charge of your battery. The kick has safety built in so you can have either the kick or the fuse around if all you want is safety. The fuse just adds safety, no more no less. Kick is almost fiddy bucks and fuse is almost a fifth of that price. Fyi, the VVG doesn't need any of that 'cause it's all built in. Just sayin' :)

kick - The Kick – Instructions « Evolv

fuse - Batteries : Vape Safe Mod Fuse 2

RHP

Last edited:

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
If you use IMR batteries (as Rob strongly suggests, AW brand IMR), you don't need protected batteries. They don't explode, they get very hot. I won't say you don't need a safety fuse (but you don't need a safety fuse). As super_X_drifter pointed out, the spring in the Grand serves the same purpose (collapsing and breaking the connection if the battery gets too hot). The kick is a way to mimic VV in a mech. It goes up to 10 watts. It's good (I guess) for maintaining a certain "voltage level" as your batteries fade, but it eats the voltage that would otherwise be used to make steam. If you buy good batteries for your mech. you won't have any issue with batteries fading. Rob recommends the AW 1600 mAh 18650 (which kick ayss on the charts/tests). I use the MNKE ~1500 mAh 18650, which don't look as good in charts but perform spectacularly. (My next batteries will be AW 1600 mAh to compare) The AW 2000 mAh batteries don't perform as well for mech. vaping as do the 1600 mAh.

_more_

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2012
If you use IMR batteries (as Rob strongly suggests, AW brand IMR), you don't need protected batteries. They don't explode, they get very hot. I won't say you don't need a safety fuse (but you don't need a safety fuse). As super_X_drifter pointed out, the spring in the Grand serves the same purpose (collapsing and breaking the connection if the battery gets too hot). The kick is a way to mimic VV in a mech. It goes up to 10 watts. It's good (I guess) for maintaining a certain "voltage level" as your batteries fade, but it eats the voltage that would otherwise be used to make steam. If you buy good batteries for your mech. you won't have any issue with batteries fading. Rob recommends the AW 1600 mAh 18650 (which kick ayss on the charts/tests). I use the MNKE ~1500 mAh 18650, which don't look as good in charts but perform spectacularly. (My next batteries will be AW 1600 mAh to compare) The AW 2000 mAh batteries don't perform as well for mech. vaping as do the 1600 mAh.

Now i read this after i order 2 of the AW 2000 mAh batteries! I just thought they would last longer...

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
The AW 2000 are great batteries! They probably do last longer. It depends a lot on what you want from batteries. I wanted something that wouldn't "sag" noticeably for a given length of time. The 1600s and the MNKEs go full blast and then disappear. The 2000 kinda drifts down to a soft landing the whole time your using it.

Statistic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
United States
Now i read this after i order 2 of the AW 2000 mAh batteries! I just thought they would last longer...

eh, like pdib said, they are definitely vapeable. They are what I use. I do want to try some others, just haven't been motivated enough to decide which yet.

Was the fuse created for mechs that don't have springs?

RHP

NO, RHP, fuses were created for pu... uh.. I mean *scaredy cats* (meh, it was a lot funnier before the self censoring :p)

Cahdek, the rabbit hole goes a hell of a lot deeper in other branches of this maze. REO delivers the whole kitten caboodle. If you are content with just one (lmao) you already have the best aspects of current vaping hardware in a very durable package, and they look really cool ;)

I am truly glad I only spent 5 months searching and trying all sorts of stuff before I decided to get a REO. When I was spending money fumbling my way down the rabbit hole I was buying stuff to replace stuff that I don't use anymore, looking for a better vape. I have no doubt future investments will be money and time well spent on stuff that will either get used or get cherished.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread