Hi from Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
G'Day all,

I'm a long time smoker in Australia and the combination of the knowledge I should stop smoking and the government taxes on cigarettes have got me to the point that I will try e-cigs.

I tried several years back with a silver metal unit that had a little liquid bottle that you refilled. It was about cylindrical, about 20mm thick and 120mm long.

The issue I had was that the vapour was never strong/thick/potent (not sure of the best term to describe it) enough for me.

Kind of the difference between a 16mg cigarette and moving down to a 2mg one. The e-cig felt like a 4mg smoke and that wasn't enough.

I smoke Winfield Blues here in Oz and realise that I'm probably not looking to replicate the flavour, more the feeling of inhaling the smoke. Hopefully that makes sense. :)

So I'm looking for some advice please on getting set up with something that can provide what I want. Also note, I only smoke cigs between around 9pm and midnight so I don't have any cravings during the day.

Thank you so much!

Last edited:

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Hello and welcome to ECF, rest assured you have found the right place for advice :)

There is a veritable universe of different products on the market now catering to every different vape you could imagine. So with a bit of advice and probably trying a few different systems should get you to a happy place where you don't need filthy cigarettes anymore.

I will leave the advice on specifically what kits and juice strength to go for one of my esteemed colleagues who should be along shortly like honeybees to the flower.

rJ6nyfZ.jpg

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    G'day Mate:thumb:
    Welcome to ECF:)

Unfortunately I can't really give you any advice on the nicotine strength of your juice, I vape CBD myself. But someone else will be able to let you know.
    But I can most definitely give you some feedback on what device to use.

Do you prefer a smaller vape device like the one you used previously? That's called a Pod by the way you described it.
    Or would you rather something bigger that you screw a refillable tank on top of? that's a Mod.
    They both come in many different sizes:D

Thanks!

It's less about the nicotine strength and more about the sensation of inhaling the smoke.

Unless they're linked. Then it's all about the nicotine strength. :)

I heard there are some that have a power/wattage setting that can be adjusted which may be what I'm after.

Sorry I can't describe it any better.

Pigs

Vaping
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 7, 2019
    Sydney Australia
    Welcome to ecf @theVodkaCircle . Plenty of great info here for sure. It's a very easy place to ask questions - helpful friendly people.

I recommend you also look at as many youtube videos as you can about devices and techniques.
    It can be as simple or as complicated as you like.

Keep in mind that we can't buy e juice here in Australia with nicotine in it. The best way to buy juice is to buy online from NZ retailers like Vapo, Vapoureyes NZ, Mixology Vapes and many others.

You might get lucky and find a device that fills your needs first up but it's a common thing for vapers to try a few different types of setups before they find a style of device that suits them and a flavour of juice that they like.

If there's a bricks and mortar vape store in Canberra it might be worth a visit.

Good luck mate.

EDIT: This place gets decent reviews: SHOOZITECH | Canberra Australia Electronic Cigarette, E-Liquid, Vaping

Last edited:

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    Thanks!

It's less about the nicotine strength and more about the sensation of inhaling the smoke.

Unless they're linked. Then it's all about the nicotine strength. :)

I heard there are some that have a power/wattage setting that can be adjusted which may be what I'm after.

Sorry I can't describe it any better.

There are two big factors tied to the sensation of inhaling the smoke:
    • Throat hit - this is the sort of catch you get in your throat when smoking or vaping. It's mostly due to nicotine type and strength, although some other things have a smaller effect. There are two varieties of nicotine at the moment: freebase nicotine (more often referred to as just nicotine) and nicotine salts. Salts have less throat hit, regular nicotine has much more. Salts are a recent development, so you probably used regular/freebase nicotine before.
    • Cloudiness or thickness of the vapour - this mostly relates to the type of tank you're using and your wattage settings, and the ingredients of the ejuice also matter.
    I'm not sure what you were using before, but as it was several years ago and it didn't have a power/wattage setting I can almost guarantee you'll have a better experience with more up-to-date equipment (I've been vaping for nearly eight years, so I've experienced a lot of developments!).

The difficulty is in picking where you should start since there are so many options available now. Do you have a budget in mind?

Concerning the options, three basic types of vaping are common at the moment:

• Pod mods - small, low powered, usually used with very high nicotine juice - each puff vaporizes a tiny bit of juice with a lot of nicotine in it - probably not what you're looking for
    • MTL (Mouth-to-lung) - Middle of the road. Moderate airflow, moderate amount of juice per puff, moderate amount of nicotine per ml of juice. Sometimes said to provide the most cigarette-like experience. This might suit you.
    • DL (Direct lung) - High power, goes through a lot of juice per puff so the juice has less nicotine per ml. Thicker, cloudier vapour. High airflow, so doesn't have the tighter, sucking feeling of smoking. This also might be what you want.

Now, for equipment, you'll need a mod - the part with the battery and where you change the power - and one or more tanks. Tanks are designed for either MTL or DL. Some mods will only work well for MTL, but most will work with either MTL or DL tanks as long as you change the settings.

Ideally, I'd recommend getting:
    • A mod that goes up to at least 80 watts or so - can anyone recommend a good one? Perhaps internal battery to start with so we don't overload the OP with too much to learn at one time.
    • A good MTL tank (Innokin Zenith or Zlide would work well)
    • A good mid-range DL tank (I'm not as familiar with these, but I think the Freemax Mesh (?) is popular. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in here.)
    • Several small bottles of ejuice with various nicotine levels (3 - 6 mg/ml for the DL tank, 9 - 18 mg/ml for MTL)
    However, your budget might not be up to that amount of experimentation. If that's the case, let us know what characteristics are most important to you and we'll try to narrow things down a bit more.

And here's a random tip - SMOK is a very popular and well-publicized brand with next-to-no quality control and customer service. Pick something else, at least when you're looking at mods.

Good luck, and feel free to ask for clarification or more information on anything I've said.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread