Hi! New member here wanting to learn about E cigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tulog Knapo

Nov 16, 2014
Hey all, I just found out about this vaping thing from the ads at my local 7-11 store and I want to try it out. I am a big newport menthol guy. Basically, I am looking for a substitute for my nicotine cravings when I am in school(smoking is only allowed in the parking lot and it is a journey to get there), working (break time, lunch time), or driving (I dont like the smell sticking). I need the throat hit, menthol flavor and satisfaction. :) Again, I am not planning on quitting analogs and only using this as a substitute. So far, I have tried the v2cigs menthol and I like it but its kind of a hassle to take a drag maybe because of the size and battery power? I am eyeing this product sold at 7-11 called air one™ (i dont know if i could post their website) are they any good? Anyways, let me know what you guys think. I just need 1.) menthol 2.) throat hit 3.) doesnt smell or give me bad breath 4.) refillable

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Hello and welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here!:)

If you are interested in learning more about e-cigarettes (and all the parts and pieces) below are some blog posts by ECF member Baditude that I highly recommend for someone new to vaping and/or looking to upgrade.

1. A Good Starter's Setup for a Beginning Vapor
2. Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder with Egos and Mods
3. Proper terminology - Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Attachments.
4. Something Safe for Cinnamon and Citrus Flavors

Oberon75

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2014
Roseville, Mi, USA
Honestly? Unless you plan on buying an extremely cheap setup which will probably be less dependable then it's cost, I would jump into an iTaste MVP 2.0. Variable Voltage, Variable Wattage and can even charge your mobile phone. There is a slight learning curve but it won't take long to figure out your preferred wattage. You can find one on the web for right around $40.

And while you might only be thinking about using it some of the time, there's a good chance that within a few days, you won't even want a real cigarette. I've been a 2 pack a day smoker for over 20 years and a menthol smoker for ten on those years. After about a week, cigarettes did absolutely nothing for me. The flavor started to suck, the throat hit felt weak and it wasn't nearly as satisfying. Keep in mind I also use 24mg nicotine.

And believe it or not, I don't even like menthol anymore unless it's a flavored menthol like Apple, Strawberry or Lemon. I actually have about 80ml of menthol juices just wasting away because as a menthol cigarette smoker, I also thought I would be a menthol vaper. Most of my liquids are actually tobacco blends from a brand called Halo. They have great menthol too though.

You will definately learn a lot on this board and this place has definately helped me out a lot as well

Tulog Knapo

Nov 16, 2014
Thank you guys for the feedback.
To: Susa-S, thank you for the guide. I will be up all night reading this. lol

To: Oberon75 You have a good point. 2 days into smoking this v2cig menthol and newport seems weak to me in terms of throat hit. I will have get back to you on that in maybe about 3-6 months of doing E-cig. lol

To: Tomthern thats the same as Itaste MVP right?

Anyways, I tried looking it up and I am not sold on the looks of it. It is too big and box like structure for me. lol. Now I know ciggalike wont cut it but will a Pen like do? I really like the penstyle vape that NJoy has and the Air One vaporizer. It's small and does not attract attention. So far, I am thinking whether to buy the NJoy pen style atomizer or the Air One premium starter kit(they look like that Ego twist from the guide that Susan-S gave me) My local store only has those two products but they do sell juices there so I only have a problem whether those two are refillable and worth it. I only might use them for about 3 hours spread throughout the day since I will still smoke analogs whenever im not at work or school. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
Hi Tulog, Welcome to ECF!

I really like the MVP (And yes, any time someone says anything with "MVP" in it, they are referring to the Innokin MVP V2.0, although I do hear there is an MVP 3 in the works).

But if you don't like that, look at either an Innokin VV V3, or something like an Ego Twist or Vision Spinner. These are all cylindrical batteries (but most of them, if not all, are much fatter than a cigalike) They come in many different sizes, from small+short, small+long, short+fat, etc. But the ones that are smaller in volume will also not last as long between charges. (You might prefer to have several small ones rather than one big one, though).

Also, the juices that your 7-11 carries are most likely not the best quality. The important thing is to find a vape that you like and that satisfies you, without spending a boatload of money on crap that doesn't work well (and there is a fair amount of that around).

roosterado

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2014
willmar MN
eGo 1100mAh 3-Stage VV Variable Voltage USB Passthrough Battery Battery 1 0r 2 Battery can be charged from any USB Port or wall USb wall adapterhttp://www.evcigarettes.com/ego-riva-fast-usb-charger/
refillable tank and coils http://www.evape.us/nautilus-bvc-replacement-coil/ Electronic Cigarette - Best Electronic Cigarette - Vapor Cigarette Buy the Best Aspire Nautilus Mini (BVC) - Genuine from www.evape.us

Juice Tobaccos Menthold 24mg nic strength[higher nic better throat hit]
http://www.thevapemall.com/product/menthol-tobacco/

RY4X | The Vape Mall

Signature Tobacco | The Vape Mall 3 menthol tobaccos 17mil bottles $5.99 each 75%pg 25% Vg

roosterado

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2014
willmar MN
eGo 1100mAh 3-Stage VV Variable Voltage USB Passthrough Battery Battery 1 0r 2 Battery can be charged from any USB Port or wall USb wall adapter http://www.evcigarettes.com/ego-riva-fast-usb-charger/
refillable tank and coils http://www.evape.us/nautilus-bvc-replacement-coil/ Electronic Cigarette - Best Electronic Cigarette - Vapor Cigarette Buy the Best Aspire Nautilus Mini (BVC) - Genuine from www.evape.us

Juice Tobaccos Menthold 24mg nic strength[higher nic better throat hit] 3 menthol tobaccos 17mil bottles $5.99 each 75%pg 25% Vg
Menthol Tobacco | The Vape Mall

RY4X | The Vape Mall

Signature Tobacco | The Vape Mall

I know this means 3 orders but these prices are good IMO and its hard to find every thing from 1 Vender The Vape Mall has another good Battery http://www.thevapemall.com/product/vision-spinner-2-1600mah/ and charger http://www.thevapemall.com/product/usb-charger/ also wall charger adapter http://www.thevapemall.com/product/wall-charger/ The Spinner 2 takes 4-6 hrs to charge. With the battery at the top you could get 2 for $38 always have 1 to use why other was charging [please do not leave charging batteries unattended. like overnite while you sleep!

Last edited:

Cool-breeze

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2013
Upstate sc
I remember when I first looked into vaping thinking how huge and awkward these things looked so I get what you are saying about the shape and size. That being said I'd strongly agree with the mvp. Its the most common recommendation people learning receive on here and for good reason. I don't think I've seen where anyone regret the purchase. When I was using one it fit reasonable well into my back pocket so carrying it around wasn't an issue. Those pen styles look appealing, and most people start with those and quickly have issues and move on to more capable devices. I understand the temptation to spend less up front but it will likely cost you more in the long run. I wasted more money on ego style batteries and cheap tanks in my first few months than I have on high quality gear after. If your local shop has some samples (most do) you should give them a try, most of us find we like variety more than tobacco flavors, but best of all its too each their own!

Treborsmug

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2014
Dallas Texas
Hummm...the E-Cig has turned into a never ending learning hobby. My best advise.....make room in the closet.....next to your wife's shoe collection. 120104~3.GIF

I'm still fairly new at this as well, but I do remember walking into the vape shop near DC (we call it Vape Fed, but that's not the actual name) and feeling extremely awkward about holding a big old box (MVP 2.0). But, it worked like a champ with a simple Kanger Pro II and I just didn't pick up my cigarettes again. Didn't mean to quit, wanted something for the car and when I was on a writing jag. But quit I did. (I'm less happy with my kanger Pro II now since I feel like I'm drawing hard on it for no apparent reason but I didn't feel like that at first and the rec holds)

That said, the MVP 2.0 doesn't exactly fit into an evening bag well. So, I went back looking for something more controllable yet pen-like and got the iTaste VV, which is basically a square pen with a lot more control on what happens inside it (little screen and buttons for power). I use a Kanger Mini Pro with it and like it just fine.

So, if you're looking for that convenience replacement for the car and such, but don't want anything large, then the VV is good and will last you. The MVP is larger, but last forever on a charge and sits nicely in the cup holder or the door slot in the car.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Unless you stop vaping after a few weeks just assume your first device is only the first of several. The larger devices don't look appealing until you've vaped for a while but eventually you'll come around. That doesn't mean you should start with a big rig. My little starter stick lasted me a week but it's still important as a backup. My second setup was a Nautilus mini on a vision spinner 2. The third device was an Egrip (hold off on egrip until they sort out the USB connector issue, mine is being replaced under warranty).

I'm just six weeks into vaping (which has reduced my daily cigs 90% to a few a day). I'm buying liquid in 120ml size bottles to reduce the cost and haven't bought a 4th device because I don't know what I want next. I don't see my self becoming a dripper while I'm on the move so much but I also know a box mod is coming eventually. After you vape for a while the choices start to make more sense.

Tulog Knapo

Nov 16, 2014
Hi all! Thank you guys for the reply.
With so much E-cig recommendation, I was going for the iTaste(out of stock) but ended up picking the Ego C twist with menthol tobacco 18mg. The first hit was nice, strong menthol flavor with right throat hit at 3.3V. Now I am having a little problem after my 3rd hit. I started tasting this burnt plastic like taste and it also smell like it so I was wondering what the hell is going on? I am pretty satisfied with the product as I bought the starter kit and 2 E liquid (30ml) for $40. I just want to get this burnt taste out and start vaping :) any ideas? Thanks.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Now I am having a little problem after my 3rd hit. I started tasting this burnt plastic like taste and it also smell like it so I was wondering what the hell is going on? I am pretty satisfied with the product as I bought the starter kit and 2 E liquid (30ml) for $40. I just want to get this burnt taste out and start vaping :) any ideas? Thanks.

If you are getting a burnt taste (we call those "dry hits"), if usually means your wick cannot pull the eliquid fast enough to keep up with your battery. There are a couple of things you can do:

1. Dial down your voltage. This will vaporize the eliquid at a slower rate (if your battery allows you to do this)
2. Decrease the airflow, if your tank has adjustable airflow. The decrease in airflow will increase vacuum inside the tank's atomizer, which should increase the flow of juice to the wick..
3. Take a sharp draw (or two) on your drip tip (without engaging your battery). This will pull more eliquid into the coil so that it will be available when you press the battery button and take a draw.

You will get the feel of this over time and develop a sense of how often you will need to do this to avoid "dry hits". The PG/VG ratio of your eliquid also comes into play, as VG is thicker than PG . If you use high VG try adding a few drops of distilled water to your tank to thin out the eliquid. You could also install a higher ohm coil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread