Hi! New to ECF...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mscaroline

Feb 23, 2018
Hhhmmm... What battery does it take? I note the website offers three different tubes; 18350, 18490 and 18650. I ask because a .7Ω coil at 4.2V (full charge battery) will draw 6 amps at 25 watts. That's a lot to ask from a 350 or even a 490 battery, although a good quality 20A 650 would handle it with ease. You may want to go up to the 1.2Ω coil, which would put you in the 15W range of a fresh battery at 3.5 amps and would be safe with all the tubes.

Either way, once you get the amp loading fixed, I'm sure you'll love the mod. I have a HoH DX650 that's one of my prized possessions. I would love one of their toppers too, but they only make MTL gear.
I have never owned a mech mod before, and am somewhat clueless about them. I dont think it will come with instructions.I was under the impression I pop a fully charged 18490 in and it does its thing... is there fine tuning involved with a mech mod?

mscaroline

Feb 23, 2018
Do you understand that a Hybrid is a certain type of mechanical mod? It'd be good to learn the difference and how to operate it safely. There are many threads on Hybrids from years past, if you wish to use the search feature here on the ecf.
I will do that. Im aware its a mech mod, but I've never owned or operated one... any information or advice about operation would be greatly appreciated...I will search threads....Thanks in advance!

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
I have never owned a mech mod before, and am somewhat clueless about them. I dont think it will come with instructions.I was under the impression I pop a fully charged 18490 in and it does its thing... is there fine tuning involved with a mech mod?
Well, that's the general idea, all right. But with a mech mod, remember the only safety device is between your ears; it has no circuitry to protect you. Because it has none, you must watch out for your own safety by knowing you are not overloading your batteries. There is a mathematical relationship between the coil resistance value and the amp draw on the batteries, but this is less involved for you since you will not be building coils but rather buying them at fixed resistances. The long and the short of it is, with a .7Ω coil at full battery charge, you will be loading your battery to 6A discharge current.

I strongly recommend you buy a couple AW 18490 batteries from rtdvapor.com ( AW IMR 18490 3.7v 1200mAh )-- the website at HoH says the Nabuki takes flat or button top batteries and recommends AW brand, which is a good one. RTD is a reputable vendor, and you'll get what you pay for. The battery I linked is rated at 15C by the manufacturer, which means a discharge rating of 16 amps or so; well above the 6 amps your rig will draw. I am sure that will be quite safe. I am a bit concerned if you use an off-brand battery you could get something not rated for vape usage with unpleasant results.

You know you need a stand alone battery charger as well, yes? There is no way to plug in a mech mod and charge within the mod itself. Xtar and Nitecore are good brands. I'd recommend at least a two-bay charger, and get a 4-bay if the budget will stretch, even if you only buy two batteries. You may have more (batteries and/or mods) in the future. I use both brands, but I personally like the Nitecore D4 best of all. Chargers can be safely bought on eBay from top rated sellers, but buy your batteries only from a good retailer. You can ask here whom they are, or Mooch has a chart naming some good ones.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I DIY nicsalts and use 18% in all my mixes. There is nothing "special" or "different" as far as gear needed, as far as I know. Anything else would be some kind of marketing scam. You just have to mix (or buy) the right concentration for your gear. You CAN go higher on nicotine without harshness if so desired (and needed) as nic salts have much less throat hit. But, at 3 or 6 m.g. one can put them in a sub0hnm setup. I guess the one thing to consider if using them would be making sure you are aware of sx of nicotine overload, as they can be absorbed slightly faster than freebase nicotine.

But they don't need special gear, you can sub0hm with them at the right percentage (although most folks don't.) I like the lack of throat hit my throat was pretty torn up when I got here... Etc.

Also, there is tons to learn with a mech mod, check out the mech mod forum tons of useful threads there on how to set up, but you need to be careful and there is a Lot to Learn, in order to safely build. Could also post your question there, you will get tons of helpful advice and useful feedback. I'm not up for attempting a full explanation yet, I'm just waking up. LOL.

Plus, there are tons of other mech users who can explain things more clearly than I can.

Best of luck,

Anna

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
Hi Erin !.
129090.jpg

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I have never owned a mech mod before
Welcome and glad you joined.
I have provided a little bit of information that may help you with your mechanical mod.
Might like to read:
Also anyone else experienced issues with IJoy Combo RDTA2? Suggestions?Even the guys at vape shop can't figure out why it jumps around on the ohms...
Sounds like a short. Might have someone who is mechanically minded take the posts off and check insulators.
This information kind of explains it in more detail:
Troubleshooting Tips: When Your Atomizer Doesn’t Work With Your Mod/APV

mscaroline

Feb 23, 2018
Well, that's the general idea, all right. But with a mech mod, remember the only safety device is between your ears; it has no circuitry to protect you. Because it has none, you must watch out for your own safety by knowing you are not overloading your batteries. There is a mathematical relationship between the coil resistance value and the amp draw on the batteries, but this is less involved for you since you will not be building coils but rather buying them at fixed resistances. The long and the short of it is, with a .7Ω coil at full battery charge, you will be loading your battery to 6A discharge current.

I strongly recommend you buy a couple AW 18490 batteries from rtdvapor.com ( AW IMR 18490 3.7v 1200mAh )-- the website at HoH says the Nabuki takes flat or button top batteries and recommends AW brand, which is a good one. RTD is a reputable vendor, and you'll get what you pay for. The battery I linked is rated at 15C by the manufacturer, which means a discharge rating of 16 amps or so; well above the 6 amps your rig will draw. I am sure that will be quite safe. I am a bit concerned if you use an off-brand battery you could get something not rated for vape usage with unpleasant results.

You know you need a stand alone battery charger as well, yes? There is no way to plug in a mech mod and charge within the mod itself. Xtar and Nitecore are good brands. I'd recommend at least a two-bay charger, and get a 4-bay if the budget will stretch, even if you only buy two batteries. You may have more (batteries and/or mods) in the future. I use both brands, but I personally like the Nitecore D4 best of all. Chargers can be safely bought on eBay from top rated sellers, but buy your batteries only from a good retailer. You can ask here whom they are, or Mooch has a chart naming some good ones.
Thank you so much for taking the time to give me that information. I have searched the web high and low for those 18490 AW Batteries, everyone even RTD is sold out. I read somewhere that the factory that produces them was flooded and its tbd when they will manufacture again. I recieved my Nabuki today with my Saltybird 45mg nic Salt Juice and an EFEST 18500 battery (all purchased from ZFO). I picked up 2 EFEST 18490 batteries at my local vape shop. I have a 4 battery charger... I am loving the Nabuki...excellent flavor. I might chose to run lower nic juice like 24mg in it.Definately has a kick, I got my ijoy combo RDTA running .24 catepillar coils at 65w with 0mg Teardrip Blitz Juice. The Nabuki hits strong than my juul or suorin air, so I'm using the Combo as a hobby? Getting my nic fix from my salts. I'm really happy I joined ECF. I look forward to learning so much more. :) How do I add a picture to a post?

Reactions: stols001

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Thank you so much for taking the time to give me that information. I have searched the web high and low for those 18490 AW Batteries, everyone even RTD is sold out. I read somewhere that the factory that produces them was flooded and its tbd when they will manufacture again. I recieved my Nabuki today with my Saltybird 45mg nic Salt Juice and an EFEST 18500 battery (all purchased from ZFO). I picked up 2 EFEST 18490 batteries at my local vape shop. I have a 4 battery charger... I am loving the Nabuki...excellent flavor. I might chose to run lower nic juice like 24mg in it.Definately has a kick, I got my ijoy combo RDTA running .24 catepillar coils at 65w with 0mg Teardrip Blitz Juice. The Nabuki hits strong than my juul or suorin air, so I'm using the Combo as a hobby? Getting my nic fix from my salts. I'm really happy I joined ECF. I look forward to learning so much more. :) How do I add a picture to a post?
Well, ok! That's all good news.

When you make a post, or reply to one, you'll see a "upload a file" button next to the one you use to post your reply. Hit that and it brings up a box to search for the photo you want to upload. You can also copy a pic to the clipboard and right-click paste it in your text entry box.

mscaroline

Feb 23, 2018
Well, ok! That's all good news.

When you make a post, or reply to one, you'll see a "upload a file" button next to the one you use to post your reply. Hit that and it brings up a box to search for the photo you want to upload. You can also copy a pic to the clipboard and right-click paste it in your text entry box.
My small collection. ;)

Attachments

• Collection2 (1).JPG
    Collection2 (1).JPG
    692.2 KB · Views: 16

mscaroline

Feb 23, 2018
I DIY nicsalts and use 18% in all my mixes. There is nothing "special" or "different" as far as gear needed, as far as I know. Anything else would be some kind of marketing scam. You just have to mix (or buy) the right concentration for your gear. You CAN go higher on nicotine without harshness if so desired (and needed) as nic salts have much less throat hit. But, at 3 or 6 m.g. one can put them in a sub0hnm setup. I guess the one thing to consider if using them would be making sure you are aware of sx of nicotine overload, as they can be absorbed slightly faster than freebase nicotine.

But they don't need special gear, you can sub0hm with them at the right percentage (although most folks don't.) I like the lack of throat hit my throat was pretty torn up when I got here... Etc.

Also, there is tons to learn with a mech mod, check out the mech mod forum tons of useful threads there on how to set up, but you need to be careful and there is a Lot to Learn, in order to safely build. Could also post your question there, you will get tons of helpful advice and useful feedback. I'm not up for attempting a full explanation yet, I'm just waking up. LOL.

Plus, there are tons of other mech users who can explain things more clearly than I can.

Best of luck,

Anna
Thank you for the info Anna. I received my Nabuki today...loving it. The salt juice I've bought is all 45mg and up, and running them in this Nabuki instead of my shoring air is kicking my ..... The nicotine is too high. Can I dilute the juice with or or by for my nabuki? What would you recommend? I think I want to do some research and learn how to mix my own eliquid... I'm sure Id save $ . Paying roughly $20-25 for 30ml of juice. Any suppliers you recommend? I'm going to check out the DIY Eliquid Forum on here....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread