The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

High wattage vaping?

Discussion in 'Cloud Chasers' started by Spidey2011, Dec 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Spidey2011

Spidey2011 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 19, 2014
    Baker, MT
    So I built a .4 ohm coil (only a single coil at this point), 28g kanthal, 5/4 wrap, and put it in my plume veil on top of a sigelei 100w plus. Currently vaping at 62w/4.9v. Any higher than that and it gets HOT. The drip tip gets so hot I have to let go after about 2 seconds, and I wind up coughing my lungs up for a few minutes after.

My question is how can I keep that vapor cooler? I like the cloud production at 62w, but I know it can do even better, if I can stand the vapor. Lol.

2. KurrptSenate

KurrptSenate Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 9, 2013
    PA
    more air flow basically

3. Spidey2011

Oct 19, 2014
    Baker, MT
    Got the vents all the way open. Longer drip tip maybe?

4. Spidey2011

Oct 19, 2014
    Baker, MT
    Put this drip tip on, thinking the ball at the base would act as a heatsink. Seems to have helped some. Might drill out the top air holes tomorrow and see what that does.

[​IMG]

5. edyle

edyle ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

28 gauge kanthal normally vapes at 10 to 20 watts per ohm.

a 0.4 ohm 28 gauge, I'd expect it to run more like 5 to 10 watts.

sounds to me like you're just trying to pump the most power to the coil instead of finding the power sweetspot.

If you look for the power sweetspot for the coil, then you'll know that adding a second coil will need double the power.

If you like your 0.4 ohm coil at 60 watts, then that's no good for a dual coil; if you add a second 0.4 ohm the power required for both will be 120 watts

6. 1mouse3

1mouse3 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Nov 9, 2014
    dark side of the moon
    go to dual triple twisted/parallel coils, I had my dual triple parallel coils at 90w on my friends cloupor t8 with out a hot vape at .2Ω. my kraken did get hot to the touch and why it is good to have a ptfe drip tip. dual twisted/parallel coils would also be nice as well and ideal for them would be .3Ω and 58w. here the type tip I got

http://www.vapemeet.ca/products/stainless-steel-teflon-drip-tips

7. Spidey2011

Oct 19, 2014
    Baker, MT
    At 10 watts it barely produces any vapor at all......

Plan on doing a dual coil but figured I would start with a single coil to perfect my coil building first. That and I bought this plume veil used and one post is screwed up. Lol. Rebuild kit is on the list for the next vape gear purchase. :D

8. edyle

is it single coil 28 gauge? or are you doing single parallel coil; or twisted coil?

And what have you found the sweetspot to be? 50 watts? 30 watts? You said 62 was too hot, so what was the sweetspot?

9. Spidey2011

Oct 19, 2014
    Baker, MT
    Single coil. And anything above 62 gets too hot for me. I've been running it at 62 for most of the night and that seems to be where I get the best flavor and clouds. Although a tad warmer than I typically like it, it's definitely tolerable.

10. 1mouse3

1mouse3 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Nov 9, 2014
    dark side of the moon
    ideal for a straight up singe coil 28g would be .8-1Ω any lower you would be getting really hot with that few raps

11. Spidey2011

Oct 19, 2014
    Baker, MT
    Gotchya. Still figuring all this out. Lol. Prolly build a twisted or parallel tomorrow then.

12. edyle

errr, so sounds like your sweetspot is basically 61 watts?

btw, I was wondering what batteries you're using; never mind;

too many things to ask, and i give up

13. Spidey2011

Oct 19, 2014
    Baker, MT
    Purple efests.

14. edyle

wow; 12 hours.

.4 ohm coil
    28g kanthal, (?)
    5/4 wrap
    plume veil on top of a sigelei 100w
    Purple efests.

Question:
    What is the internal diameter of your coil?

15. cha6040

cha6040 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Is the bottom air holes lined up and no cotton in the way of them? Also the delrin at the top of the top cap where the drip tip goes in is adjustable for air flow as well

16. eyerhere

eyerhere Super Member ECF Veteran

Oct 7, 2013
    Warren Mi
    thicker gauge or twisted wire takes more energy to heat up so you can use higher watts and actual y get a cooler vape than 28 ga. just tinker a bit and find what works for you.
    also I have found with the plume a center build with the coil as close to the slot as I can get it works best for me.

17. Spidey2011

Oct 19, 2014
    Baker, MT
    That's what I found also. Built a few different coils. Parallel, twisted, and finally settled on a 9/8 wrap single coil positioned as close to the center as I could get it. Vaping it at 40 watts all day today and I'm more than satisfied with it. Now if I could get my damn fogger to work right. Lol.

18. Symmetry

Symmetry Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    When you are using high wattage, you have to use more wire. Simply put, more wire produces bigger clouds, and regulated high wattage speeds up the warmup time (which would be crippling on a mech). Here's an example of my current build at 116w (quad 24 gauge 8 wrap vertical coils, 3mm inner diameter):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. cha6040

cha6040 Senior Member ECF Veteran

What atty are you using? I want to do this

20. Spidey2011

Oct 19, 2014
    Baker, MT
    X2. Really interested to know what atty that is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.