highbrow vapor, great on the flavor, lackluster on everything else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekove

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2012
Miami
Hello,

Im new here and so far I've tried AVE, Ms T bakery and highbrow vapor among other generic e-juices from various equipment sellers.

So far, Highbrow has been the clear winner for me. Their creme brule and hazelnut cream are awesome, their cinnamon is very natural and smooth tasting. And cheesecake torte is hands down my favorite flavor.

However, all their juices lack vapor production and throat hit compared to the other e-liquid makers I've tried. Their cinnamon has zero throat hit and all the other flavors are weak on it and produce very little vapor save for the creme brulee. And the draw is always tight with them in genera. Drawing slow and steady to get a lot of vapor is becoming tiresome.

I have ordered all of them in 80/20 PG/VG mix...so I should be getting the throat hit at least? Im starting to think VG gives me more throat hit. I tried all of them in T2 clearo....

Anybody has a better experience than me in a different cartomizer? or different PG/VG mix? Im thinking of asking for more VG in my next order.

MustangSallie

Mistress Blabber Mouth
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
USA
My experience with Highbrow was very similar to yours. I tried about 5 of their flavors, which were all pretty fantastic but they were all too smooth, very little TH. I purchased 60/40 on some and I don't recall having issues with the vapor production probably due to the higher VG percentage. When I contacted them, they told me I would get more TH if I ordered a higher PG ratio (duh). Based on your experience, I'm glad I didn't bother. It's too bad, they really did taste pretty good. Just not my cup on tea for overall satisfaction.

MustangSallie

Mistress Blabber Mouth
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
USA
Oh that is disappointing, I loved their cheese cake torte, but I cant stand the lack of TH....going more VG would make it even worse I guess. I assume my search for a daily e-juice is not over just yet.

I rarely recommend eJuice vendors these days as there are just too many and everyone's tastes are different, but for a good cheesecake with good TH and excellent vapor production, you might give Copper Creek a try.

Ekove

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2012
Miami
I might give CC cheesecake a try, it sounds tempting, but I've tried a few other cheesecake flavors and nothing competes to how real and full highbrows tasted, but then again I never tried CC.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm still looking for the house with flavors as good, natural, strong as highbrow, but with a better overall vaping experience.

MustangSallie

Mistress Blabber Mouth
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
USA
I've had both. CC is good. It's different from highbrow, which I thought had more like a custard taste. The CC tastes more like cheesecake with a bit of the graham cracker crust. All the CC flavors are good, natural, strong and clean. Good TH, great vapor. No odd after taste. The other vendor I use is Ahlusion. Different flavor profile from CC but with all the same qualities.

Ekove

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2012
Miami
currently Im between CC, Ahlusion, HHV, Rawr, kick bass and Plume. I have to leave to the middle east in 2 weeks and I want to stay off analogues, though my budget only allows me to probably order from only 2 of those. Decisions decisions...

CC sounds very tempting from your feedback. So far I tried AVE and their juice is inconsisted, one day good and one day bad, highbrow is as I explained...and I also tried Ms T which probably had the best quality vape, but I did not like any of her flavors, everything tasted too candy like even the non-sweet flavors. Basically I want something with Ms T's quality and Highbrows flavor.

Pappy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2012
Dallas, Tx
I've tried Highbrow's Orange de Sangra, Dark Roast Coffee and Cappuccino Diablo and they all have a great throat hit (24mg / don't remember the pg/vg mix). You might need more nicotine in the mix.

The only one I've got tanked up right now is the Orange de Sangra, and it doesn't produce clouds of vapor, but it's not inadequate. I'm more about the throat hit than the quantity of vapor.

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
I hadn't noticed any lack of throat hit with the five 24mg Highbrow juices I've tried (RY4, Cheesecake Torte, Limoncello, Eve's Delight, and Orange de Sangre), but now that you mention it...

As I near the end of my second year of vaping, I find that my need for throat hit is diminishing. Through my first year, throat hit was essential and critical---I had to have it. I'd speculate that going cold turkey after 40 years of smoking cigs probably had something to do with that. Now, though, the need for throat hit (and my sensitivity to its presence or absence) is fading somewhat. I'm pretty sure I still wouldn't like a juice with zero throat hit, but I don't require nearly as much as I once did for satisfaction.

Highbrow RY4 sort of paled for me after my initial fascination with its unusual flavor profile (unusual for an RY4, that is). And I've steered clear of their other tobacco flavors, having read too many reviews that were negative in one way or another. I do love their non-tobaccos, however. I think that has to do with the fact that Highbrow uses natural flavors and real fruit extracts. Eve's Delight is the least of the ones I've tried---sort of musty, like apples that sat in a big oak barrel a bit too long. But Limoncello and Orange de Sangre are delightfully pure and clean. Cheesecake Torte is unique among retail cheesecake juices---way more milky/creamy than cheesy. I sometimes miss a bit more cheese in it, but I appreciate the complete absence of that awful "spoiled sour curd" off-taste that mars so many other cheesecake juices and flavorings concentrates that try to replicate New York style cheesecake (but fail). In this case, less is more.

I give Highbrow good marks for integrity, creativity, and class, but I'm not unreservedly in love with all their juices. Heck, I can't think of a single vendor where I like every juice they offer. Nor would I expect to.

Ekove

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2012
Miami
I hadn't noticed any lack of throat hit with the five 24mg Highbrow juices I've tried (RY4, Cheesecake Torte, Limoncello, Eve's Delight, and Orange de Sangre), but now that you mention it...

As I near the end of my second year of vaping, I find that my need for throat hit is diminishing. Through my first year, throat hit was essential and critical---I had to have it. I'd speculate that going cold turkey after 40 years of smoking cigs probably had something to do with that. Now, though, the need for throat hit (and my sensitivity to its presence or absence) is fading somewhat. I'm pretty sure I still wouldn't like a juice with zero throat hit, but I don't require nearly as much as I once did for satisfaction.

Highbrow RY4 sort of paled for me after my initial fascination with its unusual flavor profile (unusual for an RY4, that is). And I've steered clear of their other tobacco flavors, having read too many reviews that were negative in one way or another. I do love their non-tobaccos, however. I think that has to do with the fact that Highbrow uses natural flavors and real fruit extracts. Eve's Delight is the least of the ones I've tried---sort of musty, like apples that sat in a big oak barrel a bit too long. But Limoncello and Orange de Sangre are delightfully pure and clean. Cheesecake Torte is unique among retail cheesecake juices---way more milky/creamy than cheesy. I sometimes miss a bit more cheese in it, but I appreciate the complete absence of that awful "spoiled sour curd" off-taste that mars so many other cheesecake juices and flavorings concentrates that try to replicate New York style cheesecake (but fail). In this case, less is more.

I give Highbrow good marks for integrity, creativity, and class, but I'm not unreservedly in love with all their juices. Heck, I can't think of a single vendor where I like every juice they offer. Nor would I expect to.

Does increasing nicotine affect throat hit?

I finally tried orange de sangre and their RY4, like both a lot. RY4, just like their cinnamon sadly, has no throat hit for me. The only two juices with zero throat hit I've tried are highbrows with 80% PG.

Either way, I have just quit smoking, and while I find their cheesecake torte addictive and I vape it all day, unlike other vapes it does not satisfy me or fill my cravings for cigarettes because it lacks the kick. I am still going to have a lot of in stocked up always, and you are right, all cheesecakes I've tried lack that strong creaminess and always have this medicinal off-taste at the base. However, I am excited about Copper Creeks cheesecake since it seems to be having a lot of great feedback.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Hello, the OP mentioned he was lacking in vapor? Your ratio is the reason you are not getting enough vapor. PG=TH and VG=vapor. Nic also affects the TH. You said you used 80% PG try more VG, I order my Highbrows at 50/50 and I get tons of flavor and tons of vapor.
The only thing you might run into depending on your gear, is that the juice will be thicker and if you use cartos in a tank you might need another hole.

Dj xy, you mentioned the perfumey taste? Their tobaccos are very complex and definitely need at least a week to steep. I got a few and I noticed the same and I left it alone in dark place with top off and it was so much better, perfume dissipated.
This is common on Tobacco ejuice that uses real tobacco .

Raveen, what ratio of PG/Vg are you using, the thicker and darker the juices are and of course the tobaccos are known carto killers, they just work the cartos harder and shorten their life. Also if you use a Variable Voltage device running them hotter shortens their life. I have a lot of Tobaccos and citrus and I dont ever get more than 4 days of good vaping out of my cartos. For my real thick dark heavy PG , durty tobacco juices I just use them on my VIVI nova.
d
Try letting your Tobaccos steep for at least a week , especially if they use naturally extracted tobacco , You might be surprised after letting them steep for a week or two.

Ekove

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2012
Miami
Hello, the OP mentioned he was lacking in vapor? Your ratio is the reason you are not getting enough vapor. PG=TH and VG=vapor. Nic also affects the TH. You said you used 80% PG try more VG, I order my Highbrows at 50/50 and I get tons of flavor and tons of vapor.
The only thing you might run into depending on your gear, is that the juice will be thicker and if you use cartos in a tank you might need another hole.

What about throat hit? They lack in both TH and vapor, that is the problem, so I do not know what to increase. I am not even sure if PG causes what I think throat hit is...

Is throat hit the pressure you feel in your throat when you draw the vapor in your lungs? or is it just the harshness you feel? I dont care for their harshness, but I like the pressure in my throat and feeling the vapor is it goes down...it seems to me more logical that VG causes the pressure and that kind of "positive feedback" of something happening down there.

Varrius

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2012
Houston, TX
I don't have the same problem, the problem I have with highbrow is their tobacco flavors have a perfumey taste to them.

Strange, I ordered 3 tobacco flavors from them and while I didn't notice anything perfumey, I did get a very citriousy-lemonlike flavor out of all of them. They've steeped for more than a week now and it hasn't subsided.

Ekove

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2012
Miami
I believe the TH=throat hit is the harshness, which I dont care for either. I would try a 50/50 ratio or at least a 60pg/ 40 vg. I think you will enjoy it, I myself love lots and lots of vapor and taste.

Oh, I thought throat hit is, for some reason, the pressure you feel in your throat when you inhale....I mean it'd make more sense if more VG= more vapor= more pressure in throat. I guess now I know to order more VG, since harshness makes a little difference to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread