Status
Not open for further replies.

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
So what's the lowest ohms I could build at while still getting decent battery life?
Decent battery life and 18350 are not allowed in the same sentence.

The highest amperage 18350 is the Tensai 700mah 18350 which is rated at a staggering 20C(14A)
http://www.intaste.de/en/tensai-18350-hp-700-mah-20-c-blue.html
For what it's worth I own two of them and have built as low as .25 with them(not a typo) and while it does work and fire at that amperage you get ~15 satisfying pulls and your battery is now at 3.6v and must be charged which is pointless to me.

Edit: 18350 has its place, but if you plan to sub ohm below even 0.80 ohms with them you cannot expect anything remotely close to 'good' battery life, they do not have the available capacity to support it.

Last edited:

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
So what's the lowest ohms I could build at while still getting decent battery life?

I'll quote tj99959 regarding headroom (her example is regarding a 20A battery.
Everyone is free to set their own parameters, and I can only say what mine are.

I try to never exceed 50% of the CDL of a battery. So with your 20a batteries, that would be 10a.
This Ohm's Law Calculator tells me that a .4 ohm build is as low as I would want to use.

The reason that I place a 50% limit is because as a battery ages the mAh of the battery degrades, as the mAh degrades ... so does the batteries c rating. (amp limit) So down the road, your 20a battery may only be a 10a battery.

And then there are these blogs by Baditude (one of our resident battery/safety experts). Something every rebuilder should know. You also need an ohm reader to measure your builds.

OHM'S LAW

Ohm's Law for Dummies (Vapers)
* My attempt at explaining Ohm's Law in layman terms and how it relates to vaping.

Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations
* As simple as it is to use, some people have a tough time grasping the concept. Warning: Includes graphic photos of mod explosions.

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
On an 18350 I'd shoot for an Atty with a tiny chamber and a relatively tight draw, then build to 1.4 - 1.8 ish and still expect one or 2 battery swaps a day at least, it's a less volume of vapor for sure but it can be satisfying if you get really nice flavor from it. If your a Vape gulper then sipping on something like this might not do it for you though. For me it might be cool as a stealthy Vape on the odd occasion I wanted to be inconspicuous but not enough to be an all day Vape given the choice. If you really want a big Vape then a single 18350 isn't too practical imo

Vwls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
AZ
Resurrecting this thread because I think the info is important, especially given new releases of small mods coupled with sub ohm tanks.

Safety is important and it's vital that you use the right batteries, but if you love a small form factor and a decent cloud, the situation isn't as bad as these earlier comments imply.

I have a 0.5 ohm build on an 18350 tube mod and I get a half day of vaping on it. So two batteries a day. Vapor is slightly diminished after a few hours on the same battery, but not enough to bother me. This is on a tank that takes the 0.5 ohm Joye eGo ONE CLR heads.

Now granted, I'm not a chain vaper. I typically vape while driving in to work and then don't vape again till lunch time, and then a bit on the way home. After dinner, I throw a new battery in and I'm good to go for the rest of the night.

At 0.5 ohms resistance and 3.7 volts, you're pulling 7.4 amps. This is the average and most important calculation you'll need to be aware of with the 0.5 ohm CLRs on your small mod.

There are three safe 18350 batteries for this configuration:

Efest 18350 700MAH 10.5A purple wrapper
The NEW AW 18350 800MAH 12A red wrapper with AW holographic sticker
Tensai TN18350 HP 700MAH 20C/14A blue wrapper

Tensai's are clearly the best but the problem for US buyers is they don't seem to be available through any American suppliers (yet). I've seen them on websites sourced from Italy, Germany and Greece - the shipping costs to get them here negate the value, short of a group buy. (Actually someone can make a nice profit by distributing these stateside.)

This is why I am passionate about small mods with big vapor:

Nau20with20Genoa_zpsh0louw9c.jpg

Reactions: Vesh

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
I can second that. My "car mod" is a Chi-You with the 350 tube, and it wears a dual-coil Fogger V4 built to .8 ohms. It's not exactly a steamthrower, but the vape is fairly satisfing-- considering it's not my Fogger V6 or my Lemo2 with a .4 Claptons on it-- but it gets me through the day. I can vape a half-tank on it before the vape gets weak(er than it already is) and I need a fresh battery. I run thru a tank to a tank and half per day in the car (I'm a professional driver), so two spares in the kit (and a U-Can) gets me by; most days I only use one. That .8 build is still under 5 amps on a fresh charge, safe enough (80%) with good, 6A batteries. While I agree the Tensai 14A batts are primo, they're not common and I don't know of a supplier I trust to get authentic ones. The best ones I can find from a supplier I trust to have real ones are the AW 800 mAh 18350s from RTD Vapor. They're a stocking dealer, and you can also get real Sony VTC4s and VTC5s, as well as Panasonics and LGs. Good prices and great service from them; I just bought 4 x Sony 18650 VTC4s from them last week and they threw in 2 free plastic battery storage boxes. The AWs are 12 amp batteries; allowing a 20% safety factor, they can be built to .44 for 9.4 amps and 40 watts on a fresh charge. Still, they're 350s and battery life is going to suffer accordingly.

The size of the rig is important to me in the car. I want a small one, and I haven't got a lot of faith in LiPo battery packs. I keep meaning to build a dual 18350 custom mechanical mod. If parallel, the batteries would get me through a whole day most days and if series... well, you could build 1.4 Ohms and 6 amps for a 50 watt vape. That would be something :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Darth Omerta

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
I have the 18350 purple Efest. Longevity on it is less than fulfilling but it looks sweet on my hammer with a long drip tip View attachment 469029

Its .55 dual coil build on the Dark Horse.
The Hammer used to be my go-to car mod. But mine's a cheap clone and it has a resistance problem I can't find. The form factor is small enough I didn't mind 18650s in it, and it's tiny with 350s. But even with a fresh batt it won't make even a .8 coil set glow visibly red; they do get hot enough to make some vapor, just not a lot.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
I dont mind the 18650s in the hammer, but it only works asthetically with a large tank such as the atlantis and i need to use my wide bore long drip tip for it, it all stainless, making the whole rig look like a steam punk puffer!
Yeah. I like it. I just found a real one online for 60 bucks on a close out. Time to scoop it, or would be if I hadn't just ordered a Snow Wolf :)

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Lol! Come on...whats one more mod? Its really shiny and looks pretty! Besides...its only $60. :evil:
Good point :) Still, I was waiting on the Snow Wolf in case I decide to change my religion and move to regulated mods. I went to mechs in the first place for more power than you could get out of eGo fart sticks or the 15W regulated mods that were all then available. It may be time to re-think this. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread