Homemade Coil Wrapping Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

gchirki

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2013
Marietta, Ga, USA
I have a friend with access to 'Tech shop'.. they have everything from CNC machines to laser cutters and lathes. We are going to make a few of these for friends around here.

If they come out nicely let me know. I'll gladly buy one or 2. Also on a side note, if you have any laser attachments for a shark i would be willing to buy in bulk. Just sayin.....:sneaky:

mattborkin

Nov 20, 2013
Detroit, MI, USA
Hey All,

I happened to fashion something similar today as well. Mine is made from a block of plexiglass.

It was going to be a simple coil wrapping jig, then I realized I could make it more multi-purpose, so I added a mod well and an inverted tip well.

Plus, to save a step, I don't screw the screw in at all; a simple 1.5 turns around the screw automatically locks it into place and I can pull it as tight as I need.

Here's a pic.

2u5evu2e.jpg

That's all,

Matt!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

fogging_katrider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 31, 2013
Tennessee USA
Hey All,

I happened to fashion something similar today as well. Mine is made from a block of plexiglass.

It was going to be a simple coil wrapping jig, then I realized I could make it more multi-purpose, so I added a mod well and an inverted tip well.

Plus, to save a step, I don't screw the screw in at all; a simple 1.5 turns around the screw automatically locks it into place and I can pull it as tight as I need.

Here's a pic.

2u5evu2e.jpg

That's all,

Matt!

Haaaa thats just great Matt, an apv show off stand coil winding jig combo. :) so does the cat hold the apv while you're wrapping wire :) jk

fogging_katrider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 31, 2013
Tennessee USA
Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
...Very simple to make and makes wrapping coils sooooo much easier. It isn't pretty but it works wonders...

I can dig it. It's all about the torsion baby. Keeps the build rock solid. [in my best Mike Myers]

I have a homemade solution that's really simple too…

IMG_0567a.jpg

A lot more practical for a small gauge like 32 AWG (no shop tools required, for the chronically clumsy).

:D

Happy Holidays! Good luck.

gchirki

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2013
Marietta, Ga, USA
Hey All,

Here's a pic.

2u5evu2e.jpg

That's all,

Matt!

Very nice. I love the idea of an atty holder. I bet it makes installing coils easier.

gchirki

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2013
Marietta, Ga, USA
I've been building so many different coils lately and could sometimes use a 3rd hand. A piece of scrap aluminum caught my eye so I picked it up and drilled some holes to slip the nail stubs I've been using into. Added a screw to pin down the wire tail, giving me a third hand.
tycreek-albums-vapestuff-picture289830-coil-jig-1-16-3-32-1-8.jpg

Love this :toast:

bluegrasslover

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2011
Willow Spring, NC
This is my old one I made a couple years ago. I changed the wood part to a smaller dowel so it also assists in putting the coil on.

20120723_160128.jpg

The other end had a 510 battery connector to help getting the sleeves off of some of the old style carto tanks to rewick. Didn't want to ruin the threads on my mod.

20120723_155754.jpg

TyCreek

Another Vaper
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2013
Treasure Valley
Yes, most use a wick of some sort. Typically the helper tools pictured so far are for wrapping coils before wicking. My requirement for a tool included being able to leave the coil on the pin/nail/bit etc... until mounted in whatever atomizer I'm using. Once mounted I slide the nail out of the coil and go about whatever steps follow for the coil type such as oxidize pulsing with SS or micro coil squeeze.

Once the coil is ready for a wick it's time to thread your choice of material.
- Cotton gets one end rolled into a tight little point and pulled through. Sized so that it has just a light drag on the coils.
- XC (ceramic wick), Ekowool, Silica, yarn... I use a small piece of rolling paper tightly rolled on and past the end to keep the frayed ends from catching on the coil as it is inserted (a little moisture helps).
- SS mesh gets rolled just tight enough to lightly drag on the coil as I twist it through (slightly tighter roll right at the insert end).

I also use the 1/8 hole in my tool to insert flexible wicks and a needle/paperclip etc... to wrap around. The needle helps keep things stable for getting the right tension and a clean wrap.

Here's a picture of a pre-wrap coil with SS mesh inserted as the wick...
tycreek-albums-vapestuff-picture289927-rm2-500-ss-mesh-8x-1-1-1ohms.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread