hookah mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazrah

ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2011
Juneau,AK
I was thinking have the hookah base as the power supply, with an individual bat pack for each hose. One some hookahs have little nobs on the mouth pieces for airflow. I was thinking make that the switch and have your cart wired all the way out the the end of the hose. Have a voltage display with a nob for vv on each individual hose at the base of the bat pack. So it would really only be a hookah in the aesthetic sense (no fighting others for a draw). This would allow for multiple flavors to be tried as well.

Haven't figured out what would look good as a base though.

xLowEndx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2009
Mesa, Arizona
JollyRiffic mods makes what appears to be some quality hookahs. I'd youtube those. I took a brand new hookah that sucked right from the start and modded it! It was only a 2 hose but one of the best looking hookahs I've seen so I had to buy it, rotating stand and everything. The worst part was that the stem came in pieces and was made of brass which is no where close to a one piece stainless steal stem you get on a Khalil Mamoon.

So what did I do to it? I ran 45 ft of wire! It's powered by 1 26500 (Same size as a C Batt) with on board charging via a mini usb port. I implemented 2 on/off switches, one is the main power and the other turns on an orange LED that glows in the Wind Guard (a metal cover that is used when smoking hookah outdoors in windy conditions to prevent the coals from staying red hot) to simulate the coals burning. This is also where I store the battery. On either hose there are individual switches and 510 atty connectors. From there more wires are run down to where the stem meets the vase and I wired in a blue and green LED which lights up the vase when each hose is firing. (Blue for one and green for another, completely independent from one another)

I really like the look of the hookah so the only thing I wanted to work with was the stem which was totally useless so I had to take my dremel to both sides of the base of the stem so I could manipulate the PCB, LEDs, etc. So now . . . I can take off the stem and put it on any hookah vase I want and I can buy a new stem for the existing hookah and it will work flawlessly.

Yes, I know, the LEDs and the whole concept for that matter is silly but it is all for aesthetics. After building this one I know now what I would change but it took building the prototype to make me realize it.

xLowEndx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2009
Mesa, Arizona
48df39b1-5862-0bf6.jpg

48df39b1-58d8-41c5.jpg

This is about the best I can do with out a video. (that's not gonna happen, sorry) Obviously the second picture was a work in progress.

Blood_of_Adonis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2012
Space
I have some plans on building an e-hookah from scratch. Wholly from scratch (excepting connectors and sourced materials)- from the atomizer to the body itself. I initially contemplated using a small size 2 arm hookah, but while considering costs, it occurred to me that I don't need a functional hookah, just something to shove batteries and arms into. I'm still in the research and concept stage, and I have other plans to finish before starting on this project, but I plan to do a write up on it when I'm done (hopefully by mid summer or so). Here's my preliminary concept:

Atomizers: DIY Lines/Genesis tanks, though I'm not sure which version I'm going to adapt for this project, ultimately. I want to have smaller tanks, but tanks all the same. This method is appealing to me most, right now, given my budget and the limited tools I have on hand.

I want to be able to switch out flavors easily. I also want to retain the familiar button/LED orientation. I hope to solve both of these with an RCA rigged up with a button and LED. it's a tight fit, but I think I can do it.

Wiring the arms should be easy enough if i'm not using a real hookah. The only two things left are the Body and the power source. Do I go with removable batteries, or a battery pack and a charging circuit? Do I mod a cheap Buddha/Shiva/Etc statue, or a metal vase for a steampunk hookah, or maybe the shell of an old game console??? It could be anything if it's not a real hookah. In fact, I may have to make more than one if it's not too demanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread