Hooked on rtas

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
So today I actually built in Earnest my Berserker and I'm totally sold. It was way more forgiving than I thought it would be as I'm absolutely positive that I didn't do everything exactly like one should since it's my first time. It took me forever because I was wanting to be very careful as I didn't want to discourage Myself by not making it work but I still figured there's no way that this is going to work out the first time. Well I was wrong. Other than being a little bit fiddly it was a pretty smooth process the wicking definitely being the most difficult thing to know that you're doing right. However when I did check my ohms meter the ohms were close (coil 1.03 Im at .99)to what it was supposed to be and when I assembled the thing together it didn't leak it didn't spit or pop it just Vaped beautifully. The Taste was better than any commercial coil that I have ever tried the vapor was smooth and perfect and I didn't even know how tasty my juice that I always use really was. If anybody out there is on the fence or worried that they're going to screw up an rta or that they don't have enough experience by all means do your research, use a regulated mod that will make sure that you're not going to get in any trouble but please do not deprive yourself of this amazing piece of equipment.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
Metal alloy?
Contact or spaced coil?
Have you dry burned the coil before wicking it?
I bought the one that my vaping fairy godmother reccomended it's ss316 fused Clapton... not sure if that's the right lingo but it's what it says on the little thing. And yes I most definitely dry burned it and make sure there weren't any hotspots strummed it a little because of uneven heating ask people on The Forum what the heck a hotspot looked like got a good answer... cleared them up etc.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Hello @AvaOrchid, good to hear that you've broken the RTA barrier. Unfortunately now shinyitis sets in.

But heres some other interesting RTA's for you, MTL of course that might take your interest.

Exvape Expromizer V4 - True MTL RTA with top airflow and is relatively easy to build.

Ulton Tripod - Atmizoo Tripod clone, very good quality but o rings are not great. Can be setup for MTL or DTL, and is another easy to build RTA.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    We have a special club for women builders: the Coilerinas - Welcome aboard :D

And the excitement of your first RTA build actually working, not blowing up and vaping AMAZING is beyond words. I felt the exact same when I built my first RTA the SXK Doggystyle RTA.

Congrats :thumb:

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    E78782B2-B2AA-4232-B8B8-371C74D92480.jpeg

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2012
    Central Texas
    So today I actually built in Earnest my Berserker and I'm totally sold. It was way more forgiving than I thought it would be as I'm absolutely positive that I didn't do everything exactly like one should since it's my first time. It took me forever because I was wanting to be very careful as I didn't want to discourage Myself by not making it work but I still figured there's no way that this is going to work out the first time. Well I was wrong. Other than being a little bit fiddly it was a pretty smooth process the wicking definitely being the most difficult thing to know that you're doing right. However when I did check my ohms meter the ohms were close (coil 1.03 Im at .99)to what it was supposed to be and when I assembled the thing together it didn't leak it didn't spit or pop it just Vaped beautifully. The Taste was better than any commercial coil that I have ever tried the vapor was smooth and perfect and I didn't even know how tasty my juice that I always use really was. If anybody out there is on the fence or worried that they're going to screw up an RTA or that they don't have enough experience by all means do your research, use a regulated mod that will make sure that you're not going to get in any trouble but please do not deprive yourself of this amazing piece of equipment.

Congrats, you've discovered what is so MUCH better in rebuildable atomizer systems. I know you've jumped into RTA building with coils, but... have you tried a squonk RDA, on a squonk mod?

I only say this to try and accelerate your appreciation of vaping on excellent setups.

The force is with you young padawan. Welcome to the darkside. Down the rabbit hole you go, and where you end up who knows?

Life is about the journey, not the destination.

:p

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    Congrats, you've discovered what is so MUCH better in rebuildable atomizer systems. I know you've jumped into RTA building with coils, but... have you tried a squonk RDA, on a squonk mod?

I only say this to try and accelerate your appreciation of vaping on excellent setups.

The force is with you young padawan. Welcome to the darkside. Down the rabbit hole you go, and where you end up who knows?

Life is about the journey, not the destination.

:p
    Lol.. I was actually on a site earlier and I saw a pretty cheap squonk ..I'm considering it... especially since I'm looking around for you know inexpensive odds-and-ends I think I figured out that if you're brand-new to things youre maybe not as picky so you don't necessarily need the best and the brightest to appreciate them because heck I dont know any better. I'm out there trying to find some other RTA that I can toss on a Christmas list lol and I noticed that there's a whole lot of rda's and it kind of interests me because I also want to make my own juice and it seems like it would be more convenient to drip then it would 2 have a tank for small samples and then that naturally kind of leads you into but what do I want to do when I don't want to drip but I do want to use my setup well that would probably involve sqonking.. so I'll probably be doing some research. There are literally sites that have rdas out there for like 5 to $15 I even saw a box under $13... I wish I had started all this earlier

Mordacai

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    @AvaOrchid, around what wattage and ohms do you vape please?

We may be able to give you some ideas on Squonk mods, all we can say for certain is to stay away from Vicious Ant ones unless you win the lottery or are prepared to rob a bank.

Two that may interest you are Dovpo Topside 21700 or Geekvape Aegis Squonker. The Topside uses a larger 21700 cell and you can get a really long runtime from it, Aegis Squonker is one of the first Ruggedised Squonk mods so it'll bounce when dropped a bit but it uses a smaller 18650 cell and if you use high watts and low ohms it's not going to have a great runtime.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Blitzdonlife

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    Hello @AvaOrchid, good to hear that you've broken the RTA barrier. Unfortunately now shinyitis sets in.

But heres some other interesting RTA's for you, MTL of course that might take your interest.

Exvape Expromizer V4 - True MTL RTA with top airflow and is relatively easy to build.

Ulton Tripod - Atmizoo Tripod clone, very good quality but o rings are not great. Can be setup for MTL or DTL, and is another easy to build RTA.
    Im already looking for other things ...thought maybe while I still can I should purchase an RDA (after all I am planning on making my own juice) maybe with that a squonk set up because you know maybe I don't want to drip all the time but might love the set up... and some of these bits are pretty highly rated but are inexpensive because they're fairly old it's been around for a while. And all of this to the background of the American government in panic mode so having to build a stockpile any how... I said all that to say this I'm going to go happily on my way to go look up those two suggestions you gave me LOL

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    @AvaOrchid, around what wattage and ohms do you vape please?

We may be able to give you some ideas on Squonk mods, all we can say for certain is to stay away from Vicious Ant ones unless you win the lottery or are prepared to rob a bank.
    I haven't quite worked out the ohms that I actually prefer yet because I've only done the one model and that was suggested to me but Im usually somewhere in the field of between 20 and 33... 20 with my beserker and 30 with my commercial coils because they just plain don't want to work any lower

Mordacai

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    So possibly somewhere around the 0.5 - 0.6 ohm range then @AvaOrchid?

If so, I think that a Squonk mod that uses a 21700 cell may be of interest.

And I was wondering if that deal that @chellie found on the Vandy Vape Jackaroo was still available (as it was ridiculously lowly priced), it's another ruggedised mod similar to Geekvape Aegis mods, uses a 21700 cell, but you need an external charger that can charge 21700 cells. But they're seeming to be a good serviceable mod that's slowly gaining a following.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA

And I was wondering if that deal that @chellie found on the Vandy Vape Jackaroo was still available (as it was ridiculously lowly priced), it's another ruggedised mod similar to Geekvape Aegis mods, uses a 21700 cell, but you need an external charger that can charge 21700 cells. But they're seeming to be a good serviceable mod that's slowly gaining a following.
    I think my lithium ion battery charger fits up to that I guess I got the check on the specs the coil I'm using right now is a 1.03 but to be honest I really do need to learn more about how coils work as far as power drain watts etc. Every time I start I see a bunch of numbers my brain shuts off

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    I think my lithium ion battery charger fits up to that I guess I got the check on the specs the coil I'm using right now is a 1.03 but to be honest I really do need to learn more about how coils work as far as power drain watts etc. Every time I start I see a bunch of numbers my brain shuts off

Battery drain on a regulated device is based on your power setting, not your coil resistance. 30 watts with a 1 ohm coil is the same as 30 watts with a 0.5 ohm coil. With this example of different resistances, the regulated circuit is requesting 30 watts, plus a little extra due to efficiency from your battery. Current draw at the battery, which differs from current draw at the coil, will be based on your prescribed power and the batteries voltage. As the battery voltage depletes, current draw increases in order to meet your power demands. Current = Power/Battery Voltage

And contrary to some belief, there is no correlation between power and resistance with a regulated device. You adjust power to cater to your preferences which is determined by the users preferred temperature and the coil’s mass. Higher mass = more needed power to mitigate ramp up. As an example, one could make a 1 ohm coil out of 27 awg wire, or a 1 ohm coil out of 24 awg wire…same resistance but the later is roughly 4 times the mass, therefore requires 4 times the power to reach the same temperature within the same duration. Sans any influence from airflow of course. The coils mass also influences how long it retains heat – higher the mass, the longer it takes to cool back to room temperature. There are points of diminishing returns – our challenge, although not difficult, is finding what works best to suite our needs.

Last edited:

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    Congrats! Hopefully some other fence-sitters will see this and realize they can do it too. DIY wicking performance is noticeably superior and it feels great to break the dependence on pre-manufactured coil assemblies.
    That's legitimately what I'm hoping because it's probably the best decision I ever made at least as far as vaping goes. And I was not really open to it I bought it just in case because you know the crap in the USA right now... I wanted something that I didn't need to purchase coils for just in case that goes on some sort of ban list. But then everyone else is enthusiasm got to me and I was like well hell I'm going to give this a go

• Agree
    Reactions: GOMuniEsq

chellie

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 24, 2014
    USA

NO - that deal is not available. I just stumbled across it and shared it. That was a great deal. I paid way more for one and $15 for the second one. I require rugged mods because of my job. I am very satisfied with it. Way better than the Aegis solos and right on par with the Legend although the Jackaroo just goes to 100 watts. I am a chain vaper-type and the most I go through, so far, is 2 batteries per day from very early in the am to way way late at night.

Last edited:

Mordacai

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    Thanks for that @chellie, I was half expecting them to be out of stock. But it was worth a shot, as that deal was truly insane.

And @AvaOrchid, coil building tools on steam-engine.org will soon become your friend. Heat capacity is one of the big things that you should pay attention to when trying different builds, as each RTA or RDA has its own limit due to airflow. So don't forget to take notes, as you don't want to get it just right for you only to not know exactly how you did it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread