Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
It's also very useful to recheck the coil once you've assembled the rta. You want to make sure that the coil legs aren't touching the sides of the chamber. It's perfectly normal to have a little bit of resistance change, but if you get a super low reading, you know you have a 'short'. I don't think you need to worry about hurting your mod; they're designed to operate within pretty wide ranges.
So in short once I place the coil, check it for hot spots, strum it if necessary, and make sure there's not any Gunk on it by low wattage pulse firing then I can check the ohms reader to make sure that there's not any anomalies. I don't need to worry if the resistance is just a slight fluctuation but if it's something noticeable or anomalous then there's a problem. If everything checks out then I can wick it, reassemble it and then test it again to ensure that nothing's touching things that it's not supposed to and then after priming it's good to go if everything else checks out? Is that about right as far as the checking it goes anyhow I do intend on following a video on my individual piece of equipment but I just want to double check things as I know from experience with other avenues of life sometimes tutorials graze over things or they're made for people that already know what they're doing and just need to know individual features of a product.

Pigs

Vaping
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2019
Sydney Australia
So in short once I place the coil, check it for hot spots, strum it if necessary, and make sure there's not any Gunk on it by low wattage pulse firing then I can check the ohms reader to make sure that there's not any anomalies. I don't need to worry if the resistance is just a slight fluctuation but if it's something noticeable or anomalous then there's a problem. If everything checks out then I can wick it, reassemble it and then test it again to ensure that nothing's touching things that it's not supposed to and then after priming it's good to go if everything else checks out? Is that about right as far as the checking it goes anyhow I do intend on following a video on my individual piece of equipment but I just want to double check things as I know from experience with other avenues of life sometimes tutorials graze over things or they're made for people that already know what they're doing and just need to know individual features of a product.
Watch a couple of build tutorials from different reviewers of the same product. I found they all explained building much better 2 to 3 years ago than they do now so look for rta reviews by DJlsb, Mike Vapes and Matt from SMM from 2016/17 and you'll be fine. It's very simple after a build or 2 and not much can go wrong on a regulated mod if you're careful. Good luck

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
Watch a couple of build tutorials from different reviewers of the same product. I found they all explained building much better 2 to 3 years ago than they do now so look for rta reviews by DJlsb, Mike Vapes and Matt from SMM from 2016/17 and you'll be fine. It's very simple after a build or 2 and not much can go wrong on a regulated mod if you're careful. Good luck
So the horror stories about people destroying their mods or shocking themselves may come from a Mech/ unregulated mod being purchased or come before regulated mods were a thing.. I was kind of wondering because there's all kind of safety features on my polar and my sigelei sobra and my Aspire Sky something or other lol. I'm probably overthinking things. I did watch that build by Mike Vapes I think it was and he seemed to go over it really well and then there's another guy maybe it's the same guy who's really technical really scientific about stuff and you're right it seems like all of those that really seem to give you a lot of information are from videos that are from like 2016-2017

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    So the horror stories about people destroying their mods or shocking themselves may come from a Mech/ unregulated mod being purchased or come before regulated mods were a thing.. I was kind of wondering because there's all kind of safety features on my polar and my sigelei sobra and my Aspire Sky something or other lol. I'm probably overthinking things. I did watch that build by Mike Vapes I think it was and he seemed to go over it really well and then there's another guy maybe it's the same guy who's really technical really scientific about stuff and you're right it seems like all of those that really seem to give you a lot of information are from videos that are from like 2016-2017

Yep horror stories are just that - you are using a regulated mod so if it has any problems with your coil, it won't fire. Usually it will also give you an 'Atomiser short' message, so you can go back to the coil and fix it.

I've had an RTA on a regulated mod with a metal coiling rod through the coil - been playing around trying to make the wraps even, and accidentally hit the fire button. I normally have the mod turned off - but forgot :facepalm:

All that happened was a slight noise, I nearly had a heart attack, and the mod, and coil for that matter, was fine ;)

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    I'm basically learning too (have only done RDA so far) You have the basics down. Wicking is hard to explain with words.. videos are better. After you finish the build and wick, soak the coil/wick. As mentioned, very important after re-assembling everything is to re-check resistance for shorts. What coils are you using (what type metal, inside diameter ID, how many winds, how many ohms)?

hisionics

Aug 18, 2019
    @AvaOrchid

yes..all horror stories you heard were originated by people that
    • used (wrongly) an un-regulated/Mech Box (i.e. ignoring Ohm's Law)
    • have put some random material (like an home-made Cannabis Oil) into an e-cigarette
    • used constantly wrong (usually higher than normal) wattages
    All these things can cause serious health issues. Not more than using badly a microwave or your car. The same story.

Regarding 2nd point : you alwyas should buy liquids from certified vendors/shops. Getting e-liquids from uncertified sources is rly dangerous (good sense alwyas help..would you drink water/milk gave by some random guy you met during jogging?).

If you want to customize your liquids, you can do it following some guidelines that (almost) everyvapers can suggest. Buy (always from known/certified sources) VG (Vegetable Glycerin), PG (Propylene Glycol) and Flavour concentrates (usually contain PG + flavouring)..and the magic is done ;)

About rta steps/guide you already got a lot of infos. I only add one thing. If u use some simple (round) wire you can build a SPACED Coil, wich dosnt need to be glowed/dryburned.
    It's even easier for a beginner to do and also healthier.

like this

Ooh. One last thing. You should learn to use Steam Engine (Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators) ..it helps you using the right wattage .. it can seem scary at the beginning, but it's not so hard as it seems.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain

Yes the mods that have issues are mechanical mods without safety features, but your ohm reader, should you insert the 18650 battery in it, will fire the coil and allow you to make sure your coil is heating properly from the inside out before putting the coil on your mod..

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    @AvaOrchid

• have put some random material (like an home-made Cannabis Oil) into an e-cigarette
    All these things can cause serious health issues. Not more than using badly a microwave or your car. The same story.

Regarding 2nd point : you alwyas should buy liquids from certified vendors/shops. Getting e-liquids from uncertified sources is rly dangerous (good sense alwyas help..would you drink water/milk gave by some random guy you met during jogging?).

If you want to customize your liquids, you can do it following some guidelines that (almost) everyvapers can suggest. Buy (always from known/certified sources) VG (Vegetable Glycerin), PG (Propylene Glycol) and Flavour concentrates (usually contain PG + flavouring)..and the magic is done ;)

About rta steps/guide you already got a lot of infos. I only add one thing. If u use some simple (round) wire you can build a SPACED Coil, wich dosnt need to be glowed/dryburned.

like this

Ooh. One last thing. You should learn to use Steam Engine (Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators) ..it helps you using the right wattage .. it can seem scary at the beginning, but it's not so hard as it seems.

I'm quite secure in the Ejuice I'm using when I quit smoking I originally was using vapewild but I noticed it was kind of burning my coils and then they changed some things regarding their free shipping and certain other aspects and I stumbled Upon a wholesaler that is only miles from my house called eLiquid Depot and I've been using their stuff ever since I have purchased some do-it-yourself stuff from retailers that have been mentioned throughout the forums such as liquid nicotine wholesalers and liquidbarn but that's more for my stockpile than anything. I've been vaping for 3 years but I've always just use a little all in one device with a refillable tank but where everything is included and they don't have a external battery but realized that those are simply not going to cut it considering my charging port goes bad on those after about four months.. well before the battery dies and that with all of the changes and legislation I need to do some more planning :) I have somebody that's been helping me out with one-on-one information and they have been absolutely amazing and I also peruse the Forum to get multiple different opinions before I Source any product :) I really feel for the people who in the future want to quit smoking and find the medications and patches and such to not be very effective and who end up going to people who are no better than a drug dealer to purchase supplies and unfortunately that's the very thing that's making people sick and die and it's going to become even more common since the government is hell-bent on forcing people to do just that.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    Yes the mods that have issues are mechanical mods without safety features, but your ohm reader, should you insert the 18650 battery in it, will fire the coil and allow you to make sure your coil is heating properly from the inside out before putting the coil on your mod..
    On the topic of the battery for the ohm reader I know that you're supposed to keep your batteries paired and all of my mods are dual battery. Should I buy a dedicated single battery to use just for the ohm reader or would it be okay if I used one of my paired batteries at least until I can get another single battery in?

• Agree
    Reactions: hisionics

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    @AvaOrchid

like this

Also thank you so much for the recommendation to steam engine I had never heard of that and honestly thought people were talking about the game site up until recently LOL

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    On the topic of the battery for the ohm reader I know that you're supposed to keep your batteries paired and all of my mods are dual battery. Should I buy a dedicated single battery to use just for the ohm reader or would it be okay if I used one of my paired batteries at least until I can get another single battery in?

You should buy a dedicated battery, but it shouldn't be a problem to snag a battery from one of your mods to use in the ohm reader once or twice until you can buy a battery.. it's not optimum, but shouldn't be an issue.

hisionics

Aug 18, 2019
    @AvaOrchid you're welcome ;) if you have some doubts about SteamEngine feel free to ask.

There are items like this () that can be used to read ohms and initialize coils (Glow/DryBurn), but u dont rly need it.

I use a normal box to do it. Avoid glowing too much the coil (some plastic/peek part may be over-heated/burned): it's not rly needed to simply find hotspots or checking if it works correctly.

Considering the cost of it is kinda similar to a cheap box (but also some good one in sales), i wd go for a 2nd box, wich you can use for both rebuilding and vaping.
    And well at that point you need a 2nd battery too :p
    Maybe pick another of the ones you are already using (if u like the performances you get) if u plan to use em in some dualbattery box.

Some1 rly likes/prefers to build using a "fixed" base...so It's up to you ;)

Reactions: AvaOrchid

P3ch3

ECF Veteran
    Jan 31, 2019
    There are items like this () that can be used to read ohms and initialize coils (Glow/DryBurn), but u dont rly need it.
    aye, you dont need at all, but is nice to have a tab like that, mine have served me 3 years, started showing some miss reads, but i use it for building, i try'em my mods, all coils,

• Agree

hisionics

Aug 18, 2019
    aye, you dont need at all, but is nice to have a tab like that, mine have served me 3 years, started showing some miss reads, but i use it for building, i try'em my mods, all coils,

well that phrase was about glowing/dryburning (wich i avoid the more than i can), but it applies to tab too. I'm sure the tab is helpful..i have considered to buy one multiple times but (funnilly) everytime i was about to press "buy" it was already sold (on the particular site/shop i was about to buy other vape products). :lol:

P3ch3

ECF Veteran
    Jan 31, 2019
    so far, is useful to place the deck, build and try, also for wicking, but is 100% unnecessary!

the geekvape one almost turn into a single battery mod, lol, i like that one!
    well that phrase was about glowing/dryburning (wich i avoid the more than i can), but it applies to tab too. I'm sure the tab is helpful..i have considered to buy one multiple times but (funnilly) everytime i was about to press "buy" it was already sold (on the particular site/shop i was about to buy other vape products). :lol:

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    @AvaOrchid you're welcome ;) if you have some doubts about SteamEngine feel free to ask.

That's funny I think that's the exact one that I have it is a tab device that has a ability to fire the coil :) I got it for a steal it was like $11 us from eightvape with shipping included in the price it was on a major sale and my RTA Fairy Godmother recommended it LOL

I use a normal box to do it. Avoid glowing too much the coil (some plastic/peek part may be over-heated/burned): it's not rly needed to simply find hotspots or checking if it works correctly.

Considering the cost of it is kinda similar to a cheap box (but also some good one in sales), i wd go for a 2nd box, wich you can use for both rebuilding and vaping.
    And well at that point you need a 2nd battery too :p
    Maybe pick another of the ones you are already using (if u like the performances you get) if u plan to use em in some dualbattery box.

Some1 rly likes/prefers to build using a "fixed" base...so It's up to you ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread