Hospitals pushing to stop vaping but really have No Clue..

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Phoenix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2011
New Orleans
I recently spent a while in the hospital undergoing tests. People following my reversing heart disease in the Lounge will hear more about this later.

I told them I had stopped smoking and had switched from cigarettes to an e-cig. Before being discharged they made it a point to send a girl from the Pulmonary division to talk me out of using the e-cig.

The conversation went like this:

Girl: So how long have you been smoking?
Me: I don't smoke, I vape.
Girl: Yes, I read that from my notes but it's still smoking. Smoking is the same as vaping. Your still inhaling something and exhaling something that is not air.
Me: The difference is it's vapor, not smoke. It's the smoke that kills. My 3 mg of nicotine, the lowest sold isn't going to hurt me. You drink things all the time that are not water, coffee and alcohol included, that's no different.
Girl: So, you don't want to stop inhaling the nicotine from the e-cig?
Me: Of course not, that would be stupid. The e-cigs keep me from Smoking Cigarettes!

The girl left in disgust.. so much for her education. LOL

This is the same crazy stuff that happens at hospitals such as: While I was there they had me on a Cardiac Diet - a diet that was supposed to be good for your heart..They offered me cholesterol laden chicken salad sandwiches complete with mayonnaise, egg, meat and chocolate pudding filled with dairy products. All of which have been clinically proven to be Bad for the heart.

At the blood center where they accept donations of blood, they offer to trade a paint of your blood for a pint of cholesterol laden ice cream. American Hospitals.. they should just get it over with and kill you instead of deceiving you.

This is why the girl didn't know her e-cig facts, hospitals are not in the health business.

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA
American Hospitals.. they should just get it over with and kill you instead of deceiving you.

I once read a book on the bodyguard profession. It was called Dead Clients don't Pay. Don't you find the title a bit suggestive?

dreamvaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 20, 2018
    UK
    but it's still smoking. Smoking is the same as vaping. Your still inhaling something and exhaling something that is not air

At that point I'd ask someone different to continue that topic, maybe someone more educated with a bit higher iq as well. :unsure:

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    I agree about modern medical practices (at least here in the US) First off they treat symptoms... not the cause. Most times they just write a presciption for toxic "meds". Go in for a cold/flu (virus) they give you antibiotics. Complain about anything (I don't mean about the doctors/hospital... just anything in general) and they makes notes about you needing psychological help. They feed you crap, but seem to have no clue how important nutrition is. And god help you if you suggest natural/herbal remedies. So called "anti-depressants"... I love those TV commercial where they tell you all the side effects :eek: Doctor gave me blood pressure med (my friend takes these and I read they are one of most dangerous) and the first day I took one I almost died... and he accidentally wrote the dosage as TWO a day... no way I was going to take a second one. Anyway... Thanks for putting up with my rant. And yes, mention vaping and it's like you are evil. It's all enough to drive someone to smoking!

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Maybe she should stop driving. I think all the carbon monoxide from sitting in traffic went to her brain. Best wishes on your recovery.
    It's crazy watching people get gas at the Costco... the lines are so long, takes forever, everyone with their engines running breathing each others toxic fumes... all to save 4% on gas (they waste that much waiting in line) Boy, I fell better... getting this all off my chest. Gotta go vape and calm down.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I am not here to bash modern medicine. Quite frankly it saved me from a life that would be HORRENDOUS.

Do I love all my side effects, difficulties and whatnot? No, I do not. I also consider the fact that without modern medications, I would not have a) been able to get an education b) get a profession I love c) be married for 15 yeas (to the same person) d) function as well as I DO.

With that said, I have worked in a few hospitals and also BEEN in a few hospitals, and the good ones can do a pretty good job. The awful one are awful.

I have made my husband promise to drive me to Phoenix if I am having a heart attack, because (unless I die before I get there) I at least have a hope in HELL.

Most community hospital staff are filled with poorly educated staff and they are the most FATAL places in earth.

I quit working at one hospital after watching the nurses take "standard precautions" with MRSA for a while. I was like, "I am going to get MRSA."

So, you need good doctors and a good hospital, and then there would be less complaints. I think. It is still a fact that the only places more fatal than hospitals would be Native Reservations. I would not bother arguing vaping with ANY hospital staff, honestly.

I will also note.... I still believe in modern medicine just GOOD modern medicine.

Anna

Toronnah

ECF Veteran
    Jan 10, 2012
    Canada
    It's crazy watching people get gas at the Costco... the lines are so long, takes forever, everyone with their engines running breathing each others toxic fumes... all to save 4% on gas (they waste that much waiting in line) Boy, I fell better... getting this all off my chest. Gotta go vape and calm down.

That's about as uninformed as the anti-vapers we are talking about.

Congratulations. You're one of them.

• Optimistic
    Reactions: stols001

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    That's about as uninformed as the anti-vapers we are talking about.

Congratulations. You're one of them.
    Not sure what you mean. I'm an auto mechanic and even with all the modern computer controlled techno cars still put out a lot of bad stuff (and if everything is not working properly even more) I know I was ranting. I was also making the point that they are just wasting gas, time, ect. Anyway, I'm way off topic... I apologize to OP.

MiriM

Jul 9, 2019
    It really depends on the hospital. I live in a rural area and our community hospital is...ok. They are used to dealing with injuries from mountain biking accidents, falls and spills on hiking trails, and the occasional heart attack case from the local old folks home. Severe and high trauma car accidents and mountain climber falls are air lifted to the nearby major city.

I myself would go to the city for anything serious for my kids or me because the local community hospital just doesn’t have the experience or constant up to date info.

That all said, I’m pretty certain that inhaling anything is not inherently good for me. However I view my vaping as a form of harm reduction and I am reducing my harm by not inhaling tar and thousands upon thousands of carcinogenic chemicals. I wonder how healthy of a lifestyle who spoke to you leads.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Look. There is no point singling out one person as the "bad vape person" when it's driven society wide.

A young girl with a poor education repeating what she has been taught in the hospital orientation is not really your problem.

Your problem is that you have a bad attitude about most health related stuff, and yet you are actually a PRIME CANDIDATE for modern medicine extending your life, if you do it smart.

If it were me, I'd spend less time ranting about some whatever technician and more time figuring out how you can get healthy.

You need to. You may need surgery, for all I know, but what you are doing health wise is totally COUNTER productive. It's great you started vaping MANY of my family members have heart problems, and you are behaving... Like a TWIT.

Not to be mean but a) wake up, go to the mayo clinic if you HAVE to.

B) Some young tech bashing vaping is the least of your problems.

Anna

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    Funny, Like and Agree.

Look. There is no point singling out one person as the "bad vape person" when it's driven society wide.

A young girl with a poor education repeating what she has been taught in the hospital orientation is not really your problem.

Your problem is that you have a bad attitude about most health related stuff, and yet you are actually a PRIME CANDIDATE for modern medicine extending your life, if you do it smart.

If it were me, I'd spend less time ranting about some whatever technician and more time figuring out how you can get healthy.

You need to. You may need surgery, for all I know, but what you are doing health wise is totally COUNTER productive. It's great you started vaping MANY of my family members have heart problems, and you are behaving... Like a TWIT.

Not to be mean but a) wake up, go to the mayo clinic if you HAVE to.

B) Some young tech bashing vaping is the least of your problems.

Anna

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 25, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    Disclaimer: I'm not a nutritionist and I haven't gone out of my way to become educated on the topic.

Last I heard the dangers of cholesterol we've been threatened with since 70s turned out to be hogwash. Dietary cholesterol is not the same as the cholesterol that lines your hardened arteries, because the body digests the dietary stuff and produces artery-hardening cholesterol in a separate and unrelated process. The most fattening stuff is glucose sugar because it gets absorbed very quickly into the bloodstream without needing to be digested at all, and then your body has no choice but to convert the excess straight into fat. So I'll bet hospital sandwiches and pudding are better than you think.

ETA: But there sure were a lot of snooty nurses giving people a hard time about eating bacon and eggs.

Last edited:

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    Disclaimer: I'm not a nutritionist and I haven't gone out of my way to become educated on the topic.

Last I heard the dangers of cholesterol we've been threatened with since 70s turned out to be hogwash. Dietary cholesterol is not the same as the cholesterol that lines your hardened arteries, because the body digests the dietary stuff and produces artery-hardening cholesterol in a separate and unrelated process. The most fattening stuff is glucose sugar because it gets absorbed very quickly into the bloodstream without needing to be digested at all, and then your body has no choice but to convert the excess straight into fat. So I'll bet hospital sandwiches and pudding are better than you think.

I have studiously avoided the statins for years, I always mysteriously developed those side effects that I read about and memorized for my PCP.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread