Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
I'm assuming you mean the 510 connector at the bottom of the tank.
The whole tank may get hot during use as it inducts heat from the hot coils inside. If the 510 is significantly hotter than the rest of the tank then you may have a problem. If the tank 510 is not mating snugly with the 510 of the mod due to wear or poor machining of the threads, then there may be some arcing going on.

Ionori

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2017
    Arcing is the creation of small electrical arcs that sometimes happens when firing a mod, it leaves black marks on the surface that lead to more arcing, see if the contacts have the marks and clean them off if they do, then figure out what's causing it (try using other tanks with the mod and other mods with the tank).

Battery arcing

Fiestylillady

ECF Veteran
    Dec 14, 2017
    USA
    Arcing is the creation of small electrical arcs that sometimes happens when firing a mod, it leaves black marks on the surface that lead to more arcing, see if the contacts have the marks and clean them off if they do, then figure out what's causing it (try using other tanks with the mod and other mods with the tank).

Battery arcing
    Thank you for the info. Very informative. Where do I get that stuff? I'm a little bit of a newbie and have not moved past regulated. Although I just ordered my first unregulated squonker. This makes me question if I'm actually ready for it.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    If there's black residue, yes, that may be a sign that the connection is not being made properly although to be fair gunk can come from any place. I'd try it with another mod, if you have one, well, you could try flipping your tanks on your mod, that may help you isolate if the connectivity problem is with the tank or the mod.

Best of luck

Anna

Reactions: Fiestylillady

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    A possibility to consider: a damaged insulator ring in the 510 connector.

03_Cross_Section.jpg

Above is a cross-sectional photo showing both the top and the side views of the 510 connector. You can see the center pin (makes the electrical connection to the battery) and how the insulator ring protects the center pin from making contact with the rest of the connector. You can also see the threads of the outer connector which is the side the tank screws into the the battery device's 510 connector.

Over tightening of your tank can distort and warp the insulator ring of the tank or battery device. If this occurs the center pin may make contact with the outside of the connector creating arcing or a short circuit which could damage your tank, battery device, or batteries and cause your device not to function or worse.

Last edited:

Fiestylillady

ECF Veteran
    Dec 14, 2017
    USA

03_Cross_Section.jpg

Above is a cross-sectional photo showing both the top and the side views of the 510 connector. You can see the center pin (makes the electrical connection to the battery) and how the insulator ring protects the center pin from making contact with the rest of the connector. You can also see the threads of the outer connector which is the side the tank screws into the the battery device's 510 connector.

Over tightening of your tank can distort and warp the insulator ring of the tank or battery device. If this occurs the center pin may make contact with the outside of the connector creating arcing or a short circuit which could damage your tank, battery device, or batteries and cause your device not to function or worse.
    If there's black residue, yes, that may be a sign that the connection is not being made properly although to be fair gunk can come from any place. I'd try it with another mod, if you have one, well, you could try flipping your tanks on your mod, that may help you isolate if the connectivity problem is with the tank or the mod.

Best of luck

Anna
    Tried on the only two mods I habe now. 510 hot on both. Only noticed because I wad going to check my wicks and the 510 was really hot to the point it was difficult to touch.

• Optimistic
    Reactions: stols001

Fiestylillady

ECF Veteran
    Dec 14, 2017
    USA

03_Cross_Section.jpg

I could be guilty of over tightening. It does it on both mods. I checked the pin but I can't visible see Amy insulator. I checked pics online and I don't see them there too. Help me. ☹

Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I could be guilty of over tightening. It does it on both mods. I checked the pin but I can't visible see Amy insulator. I checked pics online and I don't see them there too. Help me. ☹
    The insulator may be hidden and difficult to see unless your juice attachment can be taken apart for inspection. It would be located between the center pin and the outer threaded 510. The insulator is usually black or white in color. They are made of plastic, rubber, delrin, or silicone.

TUGBV3-10_1024x1024.jpg

Even if you found a defective insulator, I'm not sure how easy it would be to find a replacement. For safety's sake, best option might be to retire that atomizer attachment.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread