Hot legs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mapultz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
NC
The legs of my coils keep burning the rubber tube thingy in the bottom of the protank coils. Awful smell!!

I tried wrapping the silica and a sewing needing together with the wire. Set the coil and needle into the body of the atty to keep the coil stable and high up enough. It was a beautiful one. Perfect 2.0 ohms. Glowing uniformly. And then the smell...

Help!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Keeferes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
Belton; Upstate SC
www.facebook.com
The legs of my coils keep burning the rubber tube thingy in the bottom of the protank coils. Awful smell!!

I tried wrapping the silica and a sewing needing together with the wire. Set the coil and needle into the body of the atty to keep the coil stable and high up enough. It was a beautiful one. Perfect 2.0 ohms. Glowing uniformly. And then the smell...

Help!

What exactly are you wrapping? Is is kanthal a-1 or something else? What is the gauge wire you are using? Are you trying to wrap micro coils or regular? What is the inner diameter of the coil you are trying to wrap?

Mapultz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
NC
Hmm I will try with a non torched grommet. I cleaned this one with vodka and rinsed it well...But maybe it's still yucky.

Was it my fault it got burned in the first place? I put it on a base and fired it dry to make sure it worked and was glowing. I figured if you can dry burn a coil, this would be the same thing...

Christopherja

ECF Veteran
Aug 1, 2013
Nottingham
The grommets can burn if the voltage is too high or the pulse is too long.

Oh, right - yes. If you're dry-burning, probably best to (a) go with short pulses and (b) set your device to a low voltage. Shouldn't be any problems if you keep it to that.

Oh, and re: the thread topic - I've always understood that "hot legs" result from either too much tension, or not enough tension. Very fickle, I know!

Last edited:
It's the grommet. I just went throughout he same thing. If the grommet is whiter and looks like it's made of rubber, you are way more likely to have the problem. If it's clearer and looks like it's made of silicone, you likely won't have any problems. I rebuilt the same head at least a dozen times yesterday before swapping out the grommet. Once I put in a silicone one, it was perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread