House Panel Approves FDA Tobacco Oversight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome post. Thank you NumerousOne.

Thanks Jamie for both the compliment and for exposing me to GovTrack.us: Tracking the U.S. Congress and Project Vote Smart - American Government, Elections, Candidates and Voting

I am currently composing my response and will post it on here for constructive feedback when I'm done. I also have a little trick up my sleeve, that I will announce with the letter, that will give this all a little more exposure and hopefully put it in perspective. All my technology experience and recent marketing research are gelling nicely.

I'm sure many people on here will like it and hopefully participate.

God Bless....

Last edited:

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
I don't like the part about new products stated here. Even though they are not tobacco products will we fall under this?:(

The lanquage in the legislation is troubling at best as it puts our devices right in the FDA's mission, for the bill, as promulgated clearly states:

`(2) consider approving the extended use of nicotine replacement products (such as nicotine patches, nicotine gum, and nicotine lozenges) for the treatment of tobacco dependence; and

`(3) review and consider the evidence for additional indications for nicotine replacement products, such as for craving relief or relapse prevention

That is the language that I am zeroing in on without "speculation"---as they say, hope for the best--but prepare. I would like to think that congress members would listen to reason, but advocating for rights of smokers trying to quit and use an alternative is not the "politcally correct" vote they are going to cast with a device that looks and and acts just like a cigarette. They do not want another generation growing up addicted to nicotine. Are they correct? Yes. Does that do anything to help us with the false advertising back in the 60's and 70's with the "light cigarettes" that were suppose to be "better" for you--No. So it is not a question of negativity--rather a hard look at reality. Everyone should pony up and write the their Senators, but they usually vote with an eye to being re-elected.---Sun

DuneBuggy

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2009
Near the Outer Banks of NC
I have some carts with 2015 exp dates.
So I guess the stuff lasts a while!

This is the first time in 40 years that I have been able to successfully quit smoking. Now I am freaking out. I've been off 6 days and have had NO desire for an analog. Simply amazing. If they threaten to pull our juice, I swear I will buy hundreds of bottles of nic juice. Wonder what the shelf life is of nic juice. :rolleyes:

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
Quote from article: Representative Steve Buyer of Indiana instead proposed a new “Tobacco Harm Reduction Center” within the U.S. Health and Human Services Department to encourage ways to reduce harm from smoking, including a shift toward smokeless products.

Well good! Looks like I am going to have to give my old boss a call and see what he thinks of the e-cig! :)

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Unless the rush to FDA control can be stopped in the Senate, the "harm reduction" amendment will get nowhere. It was indeed shot down by the House panel, which voted through the bill Waxman wants. The Senate is expected to take this up later this month -- but there's no real urgency, given the other pressing problems this country has.

Yep, I think this belongs in the Department of Health and Human Services, with a harm reduction middle ground between smoking and quitting altogether. I'm with you on that, Lacey. But we're not prevailing.

JJames68

Jan 25, 2009
I so wish they'd listen to the Indiana representative calling for harm reduction. Control of tobacco should either be in a special agency -- Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms -- or with the Department of Health and Human Services. After all, they claim smoking is America's biggest health problem.

But what this legislation is saying in its implication is that nicotine is a drug needing regulation by the Food and Drug Administration. If that's so, what of e-smoking's future and our drug delivery devices for nicotine?

guess no nic carts and nicorette gum maybe - lol

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Obama was a co-sponsor of this FDA-control bill last year, before being elected President. Please get over the idea that Obama will be e-smoking's friend. Not a chance. He will side with "health" and "protecting the children". He will cheerfully sign a final bill to hand tobacco over to the Food and Drug Administration.

As for us ... this is not NRT. And that's all that the government will support. NRT has been tested, proven safe, and approved by the FDA. E-smoking has none of those positives. Indeed, e-smoking is the Great Unknown from China! The President will not accept or endorse a Great Unknown from China in favor of Big Pharma products for smoking cessation. That is unthinkable.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Obama was a co-sponsor of this FDA-control bill last year, before being elected President. Please get over the idea that Obama will be e-smoking's friend. Not a chance. He will side with "health" and "protecting the children". He will cheerfully sign a final bill to hand tobacco over to the Food and Drug Administration.

As for us ... this is not NRT. And that's all that the government will support. NRT has been tested, proven safe, and approved by the FDA. E-smoking has none of those positives. Indeed, e-smoking is the Great Unknown from China! The President will not accept or endorse a Great Unknown from China in favor of Big Pharma products for smoking cessation. That is unthinkable.

Correct TB--To think the FDA is going to endose these devices is just not plausable--Any device that looks and acts like a Cigarette with flavoring to boot is not going to be getting any nod of approval that I can see--Sun

TribbleTrouble

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
Rio Rancho, NM
Correct TB--To think the FDA is going to endose these devices is just not plausable--Any device that looks and acts like a Cigarette with flavoring to boot is not going to be getting any nod of approval that I can see--Sun

I am getting seriously burnt out on all of the pessimism in this threat. Doesn't anyone out there have any hope?:yawn:

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Hope isn't evidence. Unless e-smoking has evidence that it is both safe and effective, then it will not pass muster with any regulatory agency, not just the one in the U.S.

We all want these to succeed, but the makers and sellers have done little to further the acceptance of our practice. Indeed, their outlandish and false claims for the products have hurt any future effort.

In Australia, "evidence" against e-smoking consisted partly of "screen grabs" of Web pages with those ridiculous claims. The ban followed. How many absurd claims could you grab off the Internet for e-smoking today?

TribbleTrouble

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
Rio Rancho, NM
Hope isn't evidence. Unless e-smoking has evidence that it is both safe and effective, then it will not pass muster with any regulatory agency, not just the one in the U.S.

We all want these to succeed, but the makers and sellers have done little to further the acceptance of our practice. Indeed, their outlandish and false claims for the products have hurt any future effort.

In Australia, "evidence" against e-smoking consisted partly of "screen grabs" of Web pages with those ridiculous claims. The ban followed. How many absurd claims could you grab off the Internet for e-smoking today?

You are right Bob, we are screwed. I'm going to go down the street and buy me a pack of nails now (for my coffin).

Last edited:

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
Tribble... there is hope. There is always hope. This is America and as you said earlier, the Republicans in the Senate can still drag this down the road to its death. Just because Phillip Morris decided to flip flop doesn't mean that there aren't other businesses that would be devastated by this.

The tobacco industry is one of the oldest industries in the US. What we need to do is start a campaign where we suggest all of the tobacco fields should be turned into hemp fields. THAT would throw people off of their rockers!

Either way, TaleyWhacker said it awhile ago: E-cigs are here to stay. The road may be bumpy but they are here to stay. Here is some hope: The suppliers are not going to sit back and let this just go away. We are working on things and we are going to do what we can to keep our e-cigs and our juice. :) Have faith my friend, have faith.

dohsma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2009
WI, USA
Tribble... there is hope. There is always hope. This is America and as you said earlier, the Republicans in the Senate can still drag this down the road to its death. Just because Phillip Morris decided to flip flop doesn't mean that there aren't other businesses that would be devastated by this.

The tobacco industry is one of the oldest industries in the US. What we need to do is start a campaign where we suggest all of the tobacco fields should be turned into hemp fields. THAT would throw people off of their rockers!

Either way, TaleyWhacker said it awhile ago: E-cigs are here to stay. The road may be bumpy but they are here to stay. Here is some hope: The suppliers are not going to sit back and let this just go away. We are working on things and we are going to do what we can to keep our e-cigs and our juice. :) Have faith my friend, have faith.

Lacey,

Being that you're a supplier you may have more insight into this than most. Do you believe that there will be a continuous supply of e-liquid, or do you foresee a period of it being banned for testing purposes. If it does get banned I think that would strike a serious blow to the e-cig market. I'm trying not to be a pessimist, but it seems like the powers against us are so powerful that trouble is inevitable.

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
I don't know if the powers that be are against us... many might be very slow on the take. Is a ban possible? Sure it's possible. However, do you honestly think that Johnson Creek is going to just lay back and not be allowed to function anymore? I am one of many suppliers and it will be a cold day in hell before I will let propaganda stop me from helping those who wish to help themselves.

We all know that e-cigs get us off of tobacco. We all know it. You don't need studies to prove that... you need petitions and actual users. Plus, there is enough scientific data out there that offers enough info to allow these to be presented to the powers that be and be allowed to stick around... we do need guidelines. No one argues against that. We want safety for our users and for ourselves.

The e-cig is better for those around the smoker and it will get people off of tobacco. THIS is the right step in the right direction and the powers that be WILL notice.

This article gives me huge hope and I am surprised that no one picked up on my comment regarding the rep mentioned in the article who is against the FDA controlling tobacco... ;) We may have just gotten VERY VERY lucky!

There is hope, there is hope.

dohsma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2009
WI, USA
I don't know if the powers that be are against us... many might be very slow on the take. Is a ban possible? Sure it's possible. However, do you honestly think that Johnson Creek is going to just lay back and not be allowed to function anymore? I am one of many suppliers and it will be a cold day in hell before I will let propaganda stop me from helping those who wish to help themselves.

We all know that e-cigs get us off of tobacco. We all know it. You don't need studies to prove that... you need petitions and actual users. Plus, there is enough scientific data out there that offers enough info to allow these to be presented to the powers that be and be allowed to stick around... we do need guidelines. No one argues against that. We want safety for our users and for ourselves.

The e-cig is better for those around the smoker and it will get people off of tobacco. THIS is the right step in the right direction and the powers that be WILL notice.

This article gives me huge hope and I am surprised that no one picked up on my comment regarding the rep mentioned in the article who is against the FDA controlling tobacco... ;) We may have just gotten VERY VERY lucky!

There is hope, there is hope.

I did pick up on that actually. I think this whole situation is going to create some strange bedfellows. People who we may think are our enemies may become our friends, or at least allies.

Edit: It is also great that you and hopefully other suppliers are so passionate about this issue, it does make me believe that at least we won't go down without a fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread