Congress to grant FDA approval to regulate tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
If you crave tobacco and find that a little extra vaped nicotine helps calm you I wouldn't be too worried. It's worse to go back to smoking than it is to take some more 'clean' nicotine. As long as you know what you're doing and don't constantly take high doses you won't develop tolerance and dependence.

The average amount of eliquid to use is 2ml per day.

I vape almost constantly and don't worry about how much because I use zero or low unless I get a craving, then I drip a couple of drops of medium or high and that works well. I probably don't use more than 0.5ml of medium or high a day.

MisterPuck

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2009
Oklahoma City, Ok. U.S.A
If you crave tobacco and find that a little extra vaped nicotine helps calm you I wouldn't be too worried. It's worse to go back to smoking than it is to take some more 'clean' nicotine. As long as you know what you're doing and don't constantly take high doses you won't develop tolerance and dependence.

The average amount of eliquid to use is 2ml per day.

I vape almost constantly and don't worry about how much because I use zero or low unless I get a craving, then I drip a couple of drops of medium or high and that works well. I probably don't use more than 0.5ml of medium or high a day.

I vape non stop on the 18mg, I should likely cut down some, but I find I am still getting less than I was on analogs, so I'm not so stressed about it.

Kitabz

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2009
UK

Yes, I'd agree with this too - better to have more nicotine than you'd prefer than go back to analogs because you're craving too much.

In the beginning I was puffing almost constantly (to the point of headache sometimes - oops). Now-a-days it's more like cigarette smoking - a few puffs every 15-30 minutes (or I use zero-nic if I'm in the mood to just blast away for the hell of it).

As Kate has said, having some higher strength stuff to hand is useful for those moments when you REALLY REALLY want an old fashioned cigarette. Thankfully - for me at least - those moments are rare; I can think of only two or three times in the past month when I suffered this.)

bizzyb0t

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
Denver CO, USA
twitter.com
Hopefully this isn't off topic, and I don't know if I can yet post links, but I found this article particularly interesting as a possible reason why Big Tobacco (i.e. Philip Morris) would welcome regulation of its industry. I only bring this article to your attention, because it raises soem interesting questions as to how Big tobacco, the FDA, and the drug companies could partner to control nicotine. I don't know the credibility of the author or organization, but nonetheless, the topics are intriguing.

http://forces.org/writers/kjono/pdf/tobacco_control_and_fda_regulation.pdf

(I edited the quote to make a live link)

Thank you for that PDF link. It only served to further confirm my suspicions.

:(

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I cannot overstate how important it is to read the link Dude provided. Here it is (because I CAN post links: http://www.forces.org/writers/kjono/pdf/tobacco_control_and_fda_regulation.pdf

It has always been Follow the Money. And this shows were the money will be going in future years. It makes clear that our old enemies are exactly the ones we feared since e-smoking began: Big Pharma, Big Tobacco and Big Government. Put an asterisk beside Big Tobacco, because the only winner here will be Philip Morris. And note its inhaler was patented years before Ruyan's Chinese model. A Ruyan lawsuit would be a joke.

This article will help explain what it happening now, and where this is heading. The FDA will soon have power over tobacco products. Nicotine levels will be decreased, forcing even more smokers to attempt quitting. Big Pharma rakes in billions on NRT products.

But along came e-smoking. What a nuisance development! It will be banned, swatted into non-existance precisely because it did not follow the plan. Philip Morris is following the plan. Big Pharma is following the plan. PM's Aria inhaler will be legal. Anything we now use will be illegal.

This article, while not a "press" piece, has good research and logical projections. You can see the pieces of the puzzle now being put into place. Can you see the final picture that puzzle reveals? What you won't see in it are Ruyan and nJoy and Janty and SmokingEverywhere e-cigs. The image looks like a nicotine inhaler called Aria, surrounded by NRT products you can use forever.

And beneath the surface image will dance billions of dollar bills.

outofstep

Mar 15, 2009
Don't mean to hijack the thread but I'm a new member and I can't post in the forum yet. I'm just curious if there is any organized effort from e-smokers, suppliers, manufactures, and distributors to make our voice heard?

I'm afraid the news will only get worse because big companies have a very big economic incentive to do what they can to ban e-cigarettes.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
We'll have no say in this decision, no matter what we do. Trog accurately pointed out that if a regulatory agency wants to ban these, it will find reasons to do so. If it wants to approve them, it will find reasons to do so. And that's truth. You can go to rightovape.com and groan/protest with others.

Meanwhile, every e-smoker does need to read this link, so we have shared knowledge. http://www.forces.org/writers/kjono/pdf/tobacco_control_and_fda_regulation.pdf

outofstep

Mar 15, 2009
Trying to influence the FDA will be a lost cause. Many of their officials are in bed with big pharma and I'm sure big tobacco would join if they haven't done so all ready.

Our best chance I think would to have some sort of legislation to protect our rights as e-smokers which is probably a stretch.

Through this route our best ally in Congress would be Congressman Ron Paul. He has a strong following of pro-liberty supporters that could help us with our cause.

outofstep

Mar 15, 2009
Kate, are you a moderator? I noticed that traffic on RVP is nothing compared to this site. Is it affiliated in any way with this site, and would it be possible to have an announcement on the front page of the forum site linking to RVP?

I don't think enough e-smokers are aware of how serious the legality issue could/will be in the future, and making it a big deal now will give us a bigger opportunity for a successful coordinated effort on our part.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
I'm not a mod, Step, I'm just an ordinary member of both forums. There isn't much traffic there, it's pretty new and hasn't had a chance to become established yet. There are a few of us who post here with a link in our post signature lines and we try to get people with ideas to help over there.

The legal issues are serious and could hold vaping back for years in some places, all constructive input on things we can do is welcome.

outofstep

Mar 15, 2009
I see two ways to bring e-smoking activism to the forefront. Either create a subforum on this site specifically dedicated to activism or as mentioned before place an announcement on the front of the forum site with a link to RVP.

I think the first option would be a much more efficient and integrated approach, though I don't want to discredit the work that's being done at RVP.

Kate, I think if you were to contact the administrator(s) directly you would have a lot more leverage in this because you have proven to be a very dedicated member.

That being said, I'm always open to alternative ideas.

BREWINZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2009
Massachusetts, USA
This is news to me, you mean the FDA doesn't regulate cigarettes and tobacco? Are you kidding me? 50 years of knowing how bad these things are and they aren't regulated. Unbelievable. Then again, nothing common sense is possible with lobbyists still existing. Good, regulate them to death.

Doesn't the ATF regulate tobacco? Not being a smartass. I just thought they have more jurisdiction on tobacco.

BREWINZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2009
Massachusetts, USA
The FDA does not now nor ever has regulated tobacco products. It is the ATF.

A bill currently in Congress would transfer that power to FDA, to our great, great regret.

That's what I thought. However, I was not aware of the latter part of your statement. Really good to know. Thanks TB. My hat's off to you. ;)

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
We have a thread somewhere on that Congressional bill. It has already passed the House, by a huge margin, sponsored by Rep. Henry Waxman of California. His former aide is the newly appointed deputy FDA administrator and does not need Congressional approval to be seated, as does the FDA commissioner.

In the Senate, the same bill is sponsored by ailing Sen. Ted Kennedy. It is expected to eventually pass by a large margin, after the Tobacco State senators protest for the record, so they can tell the folks back home that they "tried". Obama has already said he will sign it.

The widespread belief is the FDA will order removal of carcinogens from tobacco products (how is NOT their problem) and a serious lowering of the nicotine content in all tobacco products, down to the level of present NRT products. Look for bans on flavors, look for tougher advertising restrictions.

Any nicotine addict or anyone who appreciates the long, storied history of tobacco will not be happy with the FDA hammering smokers and users.

BREWINZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2009
Massachusetts, USA
We have a thread somewhere on that Congressional bill. It has already passed the House, by a huge margin, sponsored by Rep. Henry Waxman of California. His former aide is the newly appointed deputy FDA administrator and does not need Congressional approval to be seated, as does the FDA commissioner.

In the Senate, the same bill is sponsored by ailing Sen. Ted Kennedy. It is expected to eventually pass by a large margin, after the Tobacco State senators protest for the record, so they can tell the folks back home that they "tried". Obama has already said he will sign it.

The widespread belief is the FDA will order removal of carcinogens from tobacco products (how is NOT their problem) and a serious lowering of the nicotine content in all tobacco products, down to the level of present NRT products. Look for bans on flavors, look for tougher advertising restrictions.

Any nicotine addict or anyone who appreciates the long, storied history of tobacco will not be happy with the FDA hammering smokers and users.

Fascists...:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread