How bad is vaping in Quebec

Status
Not open for further replies.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
I've heard some people being curious as to how bad it is here compared to the rest of canada.
I myself live in Quebec and next to montreal,i've come across this following video and decided to show everyone how extremely oppressing our dear ministers are (i'd use harsher words but not taking chances) I call upon everyone to please watch this video and if possible sign the petition E-1237 (link will follow)

Signer cette pétition - Pétitions électronique

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
Watched it, and while sympathetic I have to look into it more.
Seems this was made 2 years ago. On the surface seems a bit Draconian and leaves me wondering how such a thing was passed. I'm not familiar with how the Canadian government works compared to the US.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Watched it, and while sympathetic I have to look into it more.
Seems this was made 2 years ago. On the surface seems a bit Draconian and leaves me wondering how such a thing was passed. I'm not familiar with how the Canadian government works compared to the US.
The date is right under the video and it's dated from this year, also yes that's how vaping is treated indeed. Is it ridiculous ? Absolutely thing is no one cares enough over here to do much, most people quit smoking with vaping and then put it down for good,most of these are older folks (50+ years old) there is alot of people my age too but still they don't talk about it publicly and vote stuff in the dark and then say this is the law. Wether you feel sympathetic or not this is not why i posted it, i mostly encourage people to sign the petition just like someone from the murica would,as i stand united with any and all vaping folks.

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
Think I chose my words poorly, or they came across wrong. Apologies.

Certainly would sign any petition against it. Guess I'm a bit naive and find it startling how something like that could come to be.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Think I chose my words poorly, or they came across wrong. Apologies.

Certainly would sign any petition against it. Guess I'm a bit naive and find it startling how something like that could come to be.
No worries kind sir :) but i think the fda over in the u.s has something very similar coming (or that's what i've heard at least) probably not as harsh but yeah.... it's really dumb they even went as far as to falsified research just to get those laws in place which is why vape shops are struggling here. God i wish governments weren't as corrupted :(
or at least that vapers over here would wake the heck up -.-

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
Doesn't Quebec and Ontario(but not as much) grow all the tobacco and manufacture the cigs that supply Canada. I assumed years ago thats why Quebec has been such a thorn in the side of the rest of Canada, they used tobacco as their bargaining chip to get what they wanted from Ottawa but now with vaping sweeping the country that chip is dwindling away quickly so they have to now try to set the precedence so they can keep their tobacco farms and cig plants operating. Quebec has the most to loose if vaping isn't banned in the rest of Canada...almost like the FDA trying to ban vaping in the US but with a whole lot less clout.

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
Such a shame. Some of our cities in the US are doing the same. Here the public tide is turning in our favor, but too slowly. Here money talks.

It talks up here, too. The politics and economics are a little different, but money is driving it, and moralizing, ignorant politicians honk and nod.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I will sign that petition, Qc. I am sympathetic to all vapers everywhere, and while we tend to be an enterprising lot, having to break the law or be limited by it really isn't a fun thing to do, even when/where it's achievable, and some places, it just isn't. I know more taxation is coming our way, probably, but for now in the US I am feeling pretty lucky...

I'd like to think advocacy played a role, and yes, I emailed the FDA my vaping story compared to smoking and got a "response" of sorts, LOL (at least they spelled my name right, compared to some other places I have written, so there was that.) I'd like to think advocacy played a role, and this is where all vapers need to stick together. God, hopefully the FDA isn't going, "Oh look, someone who would have to buy 60 cigs a day!" but I don't think they are, particularly.

I've always admired the NRA, for many reasons (I am not a believer in gun control) but their advocacy efforts are pretty admirable, they get on message and stay on message, no matter WHAT.

The more vapers hammer the harm reduction message, I think the better things will go.... Vaping experiences and use can be soooo different, but the more harm reduction is actually studied with DECENT research, the harder it will be to enact draconian measures, but governments often do whatever they want (I cannot even IMAGINE attempting advocacy in Thailand without getting locked up, for example) so advocacy is a small piece, sometimes, but those of us who have the Free Speech to do it should, IMO, and we should worry about All the Countries, not just the one we are in... vaping has a ripple effect.

Seems to me, especially with USA and the UK, these politicians at times look at the research and the policies that are being put in place, and sometimes influence each other. I'm thinking of the FDA making Ultram a controlled substance, and then the UK following suit, unlike any other European country, etc. They are paying attention to each other, they are working in a globalistic way these days... Maybe less so with the newest administration, but the days of totally ignoring other countries and their doings are over...

Anna

Reactions: QcVaper

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
First of all thank you anna and to everyone else who signed the petition if i can help our association beat this crappy s5 bill that's all that matters to me really, i can't stand the nerve on these freaking stupid people trying to control every aspect of vaping when they can't even make a single argument as to why it's bad. They tried telling big people in Quebec that it was bad by hiring a marketing guy...... Stupid right ?

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
The challenge with big mouths on soapboxes is they get heard. Some ..... posits their motive as information, and suddenly the burden of proof is on the defenders if they hope to change anyone's minds.

Absolutely signed the petition and verified myself. Things seem more severe in QC but it's an uphill battle out here on the Left Coast too.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
The challenge with big mouths on soapboxes is they get heard. Some ..... posits their motive as information, and suddenly the burden of proof is on the defenders if they hope to change anyone's minds.

Absolutely signed the petition and verified myself. Things seem more severe in QC but it's an uphill battle out here on the Left Coast too.
No doubt about it, it started over here in Quebec but now the federal government wants to adopt the same overbearing laws all over Canada which is why i passed the video and petition links here,so that both canadians and u.s citizen can sign it. After all, if they would be to pass such things here i'm pretty sure the FDA would do the same over in the u.s.a.

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
No doubt about it, it started over here in Quebec but now the federal government wants to adopt the same overbearing laws all over Canada which is why i passed the video and petition links here,so that both canadians and u.s citizen can sign it. After all, if they would be to pass such things here i'm pretty sure the FDA would do the same over in the u.s.a.

I have some confidence in our current PM in that regard. Given his mission to legalize the unmentionable here (and amen to that), I can't see this going through... in its current state. Trudeau's got a very socially-minded party behind him at the moment, so there's hope that cooler heads will prevail.

That said, he's proven he's willing to go to bat for petroleum/pipeline interests despite being in direct conflict with his stated ethical position...

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
I have some confidence in our current PM in that regard. Given his mission to legalize the unmentionable here (and amen to that), I can't see this going through... in its current state. Trudeau's got a very socially-minded party behind him at the moment, so there's hope that cooler heads will prevail.

That said, he's proven he's willing to go to bat for petroleum/pipeline interests despite being in direct conflict with his stated ethical position...
Tbh i have no trust in our Pm (in fact i don't trust anything political related) they talk about making the unmentionable legal because they wanna tax the hell out of it (basically logical when you think about it,the market here is gigantic and making it legal to capitalise on that market is the most logical thing to do at this point), i highly doubt about him standing with vapers and will probably stand united with big tobacco as all politicians do. Then again, could be wrong but that only time will tell.

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
Tbh i have no trust in our Pm (in fact i don't trust anything political related) they talk about making the unmentionable legal because they wanna tax the hell out of it (basically logical when you think about it,the market here is gigantic and making it legal to capitalise on that market is the most logical thing to do at this point), i highly doubt about him standing with vapers and will probably stand united with big tobacco as all politicians do. Then again, could be wrong but that only time will tell.

First - and then we should probably nix the topic on this part - absolutely they'll regulate and tax it. Can't wait!! It will be great for our economy!

Second - no doubt about it the usual pressure from BT/BP will be on him, and the added complexity of our public healthcare system really makes things messy. I'm not a fan of JT (though I did vote for him out of desperation), but if he's proven one thing so far, it's that the interests of all Canadian people are always at the front of his mind. Doesn't mean things will all work out, but I do have faith that we will not be dealing with a vapocalypse scenario or anything even close to it.

That does NOT mean we should sit idly. Millions of lives are at stake.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I've heard some people being curious as to how bad it is here compared to the rest of canada.
I myself live in Quebec and next to montreal,i've come across this following video and decided to show everyone how extremely oppressing our dear ministers are (i'd use harsher words but not taking chances) I call upon everyone to please watch this video and if possible sign the petition E-1237 (link will follow)

Petition signed :)

A couple of points to add. AFAIK, federal bill S5 has gone through its 3'rd senate reading now and has been amended with regards to vaping to make it relatively friendly to vaping. Don't know if it has passed yet, but I believe it should have. I don't remember the details, other than at the time I read about it I was relieved because of the direction it had taken.

Vape laws in Ontario and in Toronto have also avoided the bad turn that could have happened. I live in the GTA and went to a couple of city meetings on proposed bills and gave them my input. No idea if my $0.02 helped any, but it turned out OK in the end, at least so far. Vaping in Ontario is going to be OK for the near future.

I believe it's bill 44 in Quebec that is quite draconian and I believe out east there are a couple more provinces that have gone that way too. I don't know how bad the effects of these laws are now and can only hope they are not too restrictive. I should have watched more of the video, but after a few minutes I got the feeling it was not up to date so I didn't watch it to the end.

The best of luck with it all my friend and if there's anything else we can do to help just ask :thumb:

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
The best of luck with it all my friend and if there's anything else we can do to help just ask :thumb:

Get me a ticket out of here ?:lol::lol: (kidding :p)
But yeah the video was made this year and is completely up to date from this summer in fact (i watched it myself there's nothing out of date i garantee it unfortunately :cry:)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
QC, you can come stay in my basement anytime.... :) Oh. Wait. I don't have a basement, those things don't seem to exist in Tucson, LOL.

Also, I'm not sure you'd want to come to Tucson. We are a tiny little border town with influxes of "immigrants" and "snowbirds" (retirees) in the winter-ish months. It's still the wild, wild west, lots of drugs, guns and money, interspersed with a lot of road rage due to inept drivers, LOL. Also, if you get hit by someone, there's a fair to middling chance that someone might not have insurance, or even a DL, which is always unfortunate. :( Seriously, I got hit by this Native woman who TRIED to flee the scene onto the reservation (I was on my way there myself to finish up a presentation), thank goodness the onlookers stopped her, as I was incapacitated in my car with an annoying back injury. (I was still ......, watching, though, LOL). To add insult to injury, I then had to limp in there the next day (Sunday) to finish the darned presentation, it couldn't be ignored....

Plus, in the summer, you get to feel what it might be like to stand on the surface of the sun, only it's all the time when you're outside, not just a millisecond until you get vaporized or burned to a crisp, whatever. It's really got some downsides, but I've tried hard to adjust. I actually do like it here nowadays, but then again, I always think that once September hits, heh.

Compared to Quebec? Well yes, here, technically you can "vapeveywhere" but I still think it might be quite an adjustment. With that said I visited Niagra Falls in the wintertime and I could only smoke outside, and my cigs kept freezing over before I could finish them and it took me about three months to warm back up after that vacation....

Anna

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Sorry for that story anna 0.0 that's pretty sick.......
I was only kidding btw i wasen't actually thinking of moving to another country :p (well maybe another province but i digress xD)

I kinda like Quebec too much,i can't stand the heat much anyway tbh :p i'm much more used to the cold temperature ahah (actually once went out in shorts in the middle of winter lmao!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread