How bout this design for a cartridge...

Status
Not open for further replies.

just4747

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2008
This might have been discussed somewhere before, but how bout instead of having a cotton-like filler with liquid absorbed into it as the inside of a cartridge, have more of a mini bottle or vial-like glass bulb or holder inside holding e-liquid. That way, no messy, annoying cotton filler crap and the liquid will be readily available in a good position for the atomizer to take it and vaporize it right from inside. Or the atomizer wire bridge could be attached to the inside of this glass vial and always be soaked in liquid waiting to operate. Something like this seems better than filler because sometimes the atomizer uses the liquid from the part of the filler closest to it but doesn't always get the liquid in the filler that's closer to the mouthpiece. I dunno, but somebody could try to think of a way to do something with that...

phildo

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
Iowa, USA
I've often thought about something like this, but it would require a redesign of the standard design to accommodate the liquid vial. the way I've envisioned it is similar to a reverse hobby airbrush...that way you could just buy the regular vials of eliquid and screw them in from the bottom..airflow takes care of the rest.

something like this

The Testor Corporation

but smaller and more ecig like

edisme518123

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2008
Daytona Beach, Florida (USA)
That could definitely work... but would be quite an ugly e-cig... kind of like an upside-down kazoo...

You'd also have to reverse the direction in which you inhale, since the liquid would have to pass through the heater... so... you'd need to redesign the heater to allow liquid to pass through, and place the liquid somewhere between the battery and the atomizer so that the atomizer would be closest to the user's mouth. Also, this would increase the chances of the liquid leaking since there's nothing stopping the flow of liquid.

yo han

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2008
the Dutch mountains
I'm working on this (together with knutselpeter).
The only problem I see is that without the cotton, and the bridge of the atomizer sticking straight into a liquid container, you're losing the balance between the two. As it is now, the liquid is being held by the cotton and when the bridge on the atomizer gets dry it sucks liquid from the cotton. Without the cotton the bridge gets drowned with liquid so you'd need something to get the balance right again. Also, when you drop your cigarette chances are great that a lot of liquid spoils into the atomizer with the risk that it runs through and reaches the battery.

mcastles

Oct 23, 2008
Canada
I found this thread interesting. I don't like the felt thing either. I would rather for it to be something else.

I can say this though, I once thought, what if I used a metal wired thing
to hold the liquid? I wonder if the wires are thin enough (really thin) like the way a metal scouring pad is, that it would stick or hold liquid, I tried it with a metal scouring pad too! Took of a little chunk of metal shavings put it in the e-cig dropped a few drops of e-liquid it seemed to work and it did smoke but I think it would have to have to be really thin wire metal wire shavings would work better probably. (I think it works the same way that water holds on to a rim of cup if you put a drop of water into it and turn it upside down, you would see that the droplet of water would want to hold on the rim of the cup.) But I also wonder the kind of metal it would be because I would not want to smoke something that is even more toxic coming from the metal wires.

When I did this the smoke was very smooth I found.

yo han

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2008
the Dutch mountains
Yup, that's been done also.
You can buy very fine wire mesh (pretty expensive stuff though). Actually it's the same stuff as used in the atomizer. I remember someone made a cartridge where he replaced the cotton with this wire mesh (rolled into a tube). At the bottom of the cartridge was a piece of spring from a pen which pushed the mesh against the atomizer bridge. Worked pretty well as I recall. I'll see if I can dig up that post on a Dutch forum somewhere :|

Ha, found it sooner than I thought:
Post translated to English
Notice that the mesh and spring take up so much space in the cartridge that he could only fill it with half the amount of liquid compared to cotton.

Last edited:

yo han

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2008
the Dutch mountains
very clever yo han! but i dont understand what he was doing with the loong ampoules.
I'm not sure either. I think he used that because it's an atomizer + cartridge in one piece. The original M401 atomizer and cartridge probably didn't leave enough room to experiment with.

dablackanarch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2008
Seattle, USA
I've had the idea that instead of the current carts, we could have pressurized carts with a small nozzle on the end that releases the contents in a pre-vaporized fashion. Along with an atomizer that heats up very quickly, you could eliminate the burning taste, have a very smooth smoke and no fluid in the mouth due to the e-smoke juice being almost completely vaporized, even before it hits the heating element.

One way to do this would be to put the pressurized cart before the atomizer and give it a press toward the battery before you inhale. You would press the atomizer/cart assembly toward the battery to spray a dose of e-fluid into the atomizer. Then press the manual battery switch and inhale.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

Esmoke%20Idea.PNG

Here's the facts. If e-smoking is going to be effective (especially for heavy smokers) we need standards. Metered doses, High performance batteries and better atomizer life will just make things much better for e-smokers and e-smoking in general. I don't want a disposable e-smoke device. I want a high quality one that lasts. I've also got some ideas on atomizer design that I think will work well too. I'll post those under the proper topic.

Edit: For drippers, perhaps a cart design that uses the same functionality as the pressurized one but, instead of a self-contained pressurized cart, perhaps a refillable cart that uses manual pumping to create the needed pressure for the dose.

Last edited:
Well had thought about a similar idea here (and by similar I mean exactly the same idea). I sat down and spent some time making a crappy diagram to explain the idea and when I showed up here to post the idea I see someone beat me to the punch a long time ago.

Since I don't want the effort of my diagram to go to waste, here is my crappy diagram (this may require a little imagination but I just didn't have enough time to get too fancy)....

Attachments

• Cart.png
    Cart.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 107

Somoney

ECF Veteran
Oct 9, 2008
USA
There is a delicate dance of liquid that occurs between the cartridge and the atomizer itself. The poly sponge material is ment to keep the atomizing ring as wet as the sponge touching it. The atomizer heats, drys, and the exchange is repeated.

When we manually drip, there is no sponge to hold the excess so it drops to the breath holes. I see no way to efficiently change this method of liquid transfer without that sponge.

PuffnStuff, you diagram is great. it would be most effective if you had a way for the liquid to touch the atomizer directly though. this desgn can drip along the walls, or if upsode down, through the mouth piece. Is it is now, you still need a sponge to transfer your drip to the atomizer.

If I may,

Attachments

• Cart-wsponge.png
    Cart-wsponge.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 51

SuperSteph

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2008
California, USA
I think the best way to achieve this would be a piezo-electric pump, much in the same way that an inkjet works. A small piezo element would vibrate, pushing liquid past a small one way valve or diaphram that could spray a fine mist, much in the same way an inkjet deposits ink on paper, but instead of paper, it would be an atomizer. this would provide precise control. the other way would be to use a small button that pushes a diaphram which acts like a manual pump instead. not as much control, but loads simpler in design.

Well Somoney that sponge design does not get us past the sponge so errant fibers and similar sponge related problems would still be there. Yet it is at least a shorter sponge.

I've noticed in current designs you fill a sponge and it needs to be refilled after so many puffs but the end of the sponge closest to your mouth is still wet. So at least your diagram would make a more efficient sponge and a suspended bottle would probably hold more e-liq without as much mess.

I think it's definitely a step in the right direction, I just don't know enough about the science to figure a way around that sponge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread