How did I do in defending e-cigs against this article?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texace146

Jan 22, 2013
Houston, TX
A friend of mine shared this STUPID STUPID article from The Huffington Post riddled with ridiculous claims about the "9 Terribly Disturbing Things About Electronic Cigarettes" and that worn out 2009 FDA study on the health hazards of e-cigs. This article was published on 9/3/2013, so I thought there'd at least be some new misinformation, but it's the same tired old misinformation.

I need y'all's
:2c: on this; did I do a good enough job in arguing against this article and defending e-cigs to my friend or not?

Here's the article (don't laugh too hard!):
http: // www. huffingtonpost. com/ 2013/09/03/ electronic-cigarettes_n_3818941.html

And here's my LONG-WINDED response (it took up almost 6 whole pages in MS-Word):

Firstly, let's go over some e-cig lingo:
E-cig - Electronic cigarette
e-liquid - Electronic cigarette liquid
Vapor - The gas form of e-liquid after it has been atomized; nicotine and flavoring is inhaled in the e-liquid's vapor form
Vaper - One who vapes
Vape/Vapes/vaping - (verb) The act of taking in vapor into your system whereas smoking is the act of taking in smoke into your system
Analog cigarette - What vapers call regular cigarettes

Why is it called vaping and not called smoking? Because e-liquid doesn't burn; it boils, and you inhale the vapor from the atomizer-converted e-liquid.

Now then, as a vaper of almost 3 years this December, I'd be remiss if I didn't stand up against these ridiculous claims against e-cigs made here by The Huffington Post. While some points are true, most are false, especially the claims about them being potentially toxic chemicals. The truth is, the FDA doesn't WANT to study them further aside from that old 2009 study they made because they are a sure-fire Big Tobacco killer. Now, let's go over each one of these ridiculous claims one by one:

#1, "E-cigarettes contain toxic chemicals."
In 2009, the FDA did a study on the e-liquid from two of the top selling e-cig manufacturers in the world (NJOY and Smoke Everywhere). Their studies found carcinogenic chemicals in miniscule amounts; amounts were "less than the level of the Nicotrol® inhaler [manufacturer] specification" (source: http://truthaboutecigs.com/science/2.pdf )

The 2009 FDA study found "the samples contained carcinogens and other hazardous chemicals, including diethylene glycol, which is found in antifreeze." Now, I don't use NJOY or Smoke Everywhere products, but first of all, this article published by The Huffington Post on 9/3/2013 with an "update" as of 9/4/2013 is still referring to a FOUR YEAR OLD STUDY BY THE FDA FROM 2009! Those companies import their liquid from China. I use American made e-liquid from dfwvapor.com and it contains 4 ingredients: propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin (used in gelatin products like JELL-O), flavoring, and nicotine.

Propylene glycol and vegetable glycerine are the ingredients that aid in e-liquid vaporization as they have a much lower boiling point than water and are heated by the atomizer which is powered by a battery. Some e-liquid manufacturers use propylene glycol exclusively, some use vegetable glycerin exclusively, and some, like DFW Vapor, use them both in a 70/30 mixture. Propylene glycerol is the ingredient used to make fog in fog machines. The "flavoring" is made from different oils, herbal extracts, and/or artificial flavorings combined in a certain way to achieve a certain flavor. Some artificial flavoring used in e-liquid is the same artificial flavoring used in our artificially flavored candies, sodas and various other foods. Nicotine is a highly addictive drug, but in itself, it is as harmless as caffeine. It is a stimulant, boosts brain cell activity, and is a relaxant all rolled into one. The reason cigarettes are so harmful is because they are MADE to be harmful. If you grew tobacco in your back yard, harvested it, and smoked it, it would be 4,000 times less carcinogenic than ONE cigarette from a pack of Marlboro Ultra Lights. Cigarettes contain over 4,000 carcinogenic chemicals and are MANUFACTURED TO GIVE YOU CANCER AND KILL YOU so that big pharma can make money off of rehabilitation efforts! There's NO other need to add these harmful chemicals into cigarettes, but that is another article in itself.

Our government and the FDA is supposed to be on our side helping us weed out what's bad for us, but in order to stay alive, they need funding. They get their funding through the sales of expensive pharmaceuticals and other FDA approved drugs, but a major source of income for the FDA is the taxes from tobacco sales, yet they claim smoking is bad for you (and it is) which is why the FDA pushes FDA approved smoking cessation avenues such as nicotine gum, "the patch", a nicotine lozenge, prescription pills and so forth. However, the FDA would be ....ed if everyone quit smoking tobacco tomorrow and switched to electronic cigarettes because they haven't gotten their sticky fingers into the industry to tax and regulate it, and there is ongoing arguments today on whether or not the FDA should be in charge of electronic cigarettes or some other agency. They just don't know what to DO with electronic cigarettes! Oh mah LORD!

#2, "Kids and teens can buy them."
They can buy them if they go online. If you walk into a store that sells them, that store will require you be of the age of 18 or older, but per store policy. It isn't a regulated product and I haven't heard of any stores foolish enough to sell a nicotine product to a minor. However, some stores online are starting to implement an ID check at checkout, but this could be bypassed very easily; just grab your parents' wallets in the middle of the night and borrow their driver's license. So, this is one of those things that is true.

#3, "While cigarette companies say they don't market to kids, e-cigarettes come in flavors like cherry, strawberry, vanilla and cookies and cream milkshake."
Not to mention my personal favorite, Blue Hawaiian. Mmmmm... yummy! SO WHAT IF E-CIGS COME IN CANDY FLAVORS?! I'm 28 and STILL enjoy orange sodas, root beer floats, marshmallow cereals, and cinnamon toast crunch!! What does THAT have to do with marketing to kids?! They're marketing to ME because I LIKE those flavors!! They have EVERY flavor under the sun from Coffee, Caramel Mocha, Chocolate, Vanilla, mixer drinks like Blue Hawaiian, Shirley Temple, Irish Cream, and various fruits and desserts, and even traditional imitation tobacco flavors that mock real cigarette brands' flavors. There's even some gag flavors like bacon, popcorn, and fart... yes... FART! If you've tasted it (or not) it's an e-liquid flavor, and that's a major attraction for me as tobacco tastes like ...., not that I've tried ....; sorry!

#4, "Laws regulating cigarette ads don't yet apply to e-cigarettes."
That's because they're yet to find anything WRONG with them. The 2009 FDA study was a very inconclusive study of two of the top sellers of e-cigs. And, as previously mentioned, they probably are afraid to do further analyses on e-cigs for fear it just may be the holy grail of nicotine intake. Why is this a "Terribly Disturbing Thing About Electronic Cigarettes"?

#5, "And e-cigarette companies are spending a TON on advertising."
Yeah, the companies with the worst products out there are raking in the big dough because they are advertising big. Crap like Blu and Smoke Everywhere absolutely suck. People try those brands and don't stick with e-cigs or still need analog cigs as a crutch because they're not good enough to help them get off it. I'll share what I use a little later towards the end.

#6, "E-cigarettes can be used in many places where smoking is banned."
This is true, but how is this a "Terribly Disturbing Thing About Electronic Cigarettes"? It depends on the business and venue. I agree that more studies need to be done on e-cig safety so I can finally vape away from the smoking section at the ballpark. Since I've switched to e-cigs, I can't stand being around smoke. It is really nasty and gets to me. I'll share more on how e-cigs have vastly improved my health as an asthmatic towards the end.

#7, "People think e-cigarettes can help them quit smoking."
WHY IS THIS A TERRIBLY DISTURBING THING ABOUT ELECTRONIC CIGARETTES?!?! My former boss saw me using mine and he was a smoker. I told him my setup that I use and he went out and got something similar. Guess what? HE QUIT SMOKING *AND* VAPING! HOW TERRIBLY DISTURBING!!! Get on Google and look up testimonials of people using electronic cigarettes; I think you'll find it rather triumphantly comforting. This article is only "terribly disturbing" to the FDA and The Huffington Post because The Huffington Post probably has big-tobacco lobbyists paying them to publish this garbage. It's ALL about money, folks. EVERYTHING IS ABOUT MONEY. I don't believe that personally, but I do believe that that is the driving force behind slander and misinformation.

#8, "E-cigarettes aren't taxed like traditional tobacco products... Even though cigarette consumption fell significantly as taxes went up."
AGAIN! *HOW* IS THIS A TERRIBLY DISTURBING THING ABOUT ELECTRONIC CIGARETTES?!?!?! If you cannot see the political agenda behind this article, YOU ARE BLIND!

#9, "Despite unknown health consequences, e-cigarettes are poised to make inroads with a new generation of young people."
Young people? I know SEVERAL senior citizens that praise the electronic cigarette from breaking their 50+ year addiction! This article has been filled with agenda, lies, and propaganda. Just look at the comments section below and see for yourself! What a HEAPING PILE OF BULL..... Ani Aslanian, why did you "share" this article? Do you agree with it or disagree with it? You apparently have some kind of opinion on it because you shared it, and I'd like to know your opinion please. :)

Now, as I've said, I've been on e-cigs for almost three years. It'll be three years on December 23, 2013. I quit cigarettes on what would have been my grandpa's 100th b-day on 12/23/2010, switched right to e-cigs, and never looked back. I went from being a pack and a half per day smoker of Marlboro Blend No. 27, which cost me $57.86 for a carton per week to spending about that much per month on refill e-liquid.

A lot of people have tried e-cigarettes and have gotten frustrated with them because they don't fulfill their nicotine needs. That's because they're trying the bandwagon brands like Joyetech and Blu. Those, frankly, are worthless. They're made to look like cigarettes, but the battery is fixed at 3.7 volts so that when the cartridge wears down, they're not producing as much vapor. The device I use is called a ProVari. It's a variable voltage unit by ProVapes and looks more like a hooka or a cigar than an actual cigarette. As cartridges get worn out, I can amp up the voltage as high as 6.0 volts if I need, but usually don't go higher than about 4.5 volts. This ability to adjust the voltage of my e-cig has made me successful in staying off analog cigarettes.

There have also been stories about freak accidents happening with peoples' electronic cigarettes like them exploding, or catching on fire and burning the house down, or even destroying peoples' faces. That is because these people were using modified e-cigs build poorly by poor startup companies. Don't let this deter you from getting into e-cigs if you're interested. Do your research. There are plenty of reviews of most e-cigs on YouTube and Google. Try and find a channel by a vaper that reviews all sorts of different brands and make your assessment then. Don't get scared off by political propagandist media stories such as this article or other users' misadventures. I'm an e-cig user and a major advocate and supporter of the e-cig.

Another issue people are concerned with about switching to e-cigs are the health risks. Articles like this heaping pile of stinking reeking bovine feces scare people about the health benefits from switching. Yes, I said BENEFITS. You see, I'm an asthmatic. Yes, it was stupid for me to have been smoking in the first place, but I was exposed to nicotine all my life. My biological mother smoked when she was pregnant with me, and once I was born, both of my parents smoked. My dad continued to smoke in the house. My step mom (okay, long story short, my step mom is the one that raised me) finally made my dad go outside to smoke in 2004 and I was having nicotine withdrawals from not getting my nicotine from the second hand smoke anymore! So what did I do? I went out and bought a pack of cigarettes and started smoking like a dumbass!

I smoked a pack and a half of cigarettes per day for 6 years. In 2010, I switched to e-cigs. Within 48 hours, my smoker's cough disappeared COMPLETELY! Also, I mentioned that I'm an asthmatic. I still am, but I went from puffing my inhaler 6 times a day as a smoker to puffing it once every three days as a vaper. I still have some local allergies that flare up, but I'm convinced my asthma is entirely allergy related. Sometimes I'll go a full week without needing my inhaler at all. Not to mention I could taste my food better and I had forgotten that the air had a SCENT to it! My sense of smell and taste came BACK and never realized it was GONE! That's because e-cigs don't coat your lung cilia and scent receptors with all that nasty ... TAR and POISON!

Now, I'm gonna be honest, when you switch to e-cigs, you can go one of two ways: you can gradually reduce your nicotine intake and quit, as in the case of my former boss, or you can dramatically increase it. I dramatically increased it. You see, when I was a smoker, I had to go outside, even in my own house, and even when I moved out of my house and got my own place so I didn't give me asthma and so that my clothes don't smell. When I switched to e-cigs, I can vape all day and not bug anyone. When I smoke around my mom, she doesn't complain about the smell at all--AND SHE'S A NURSE! In fact, the likes the way my Blue Hawaiian graces the room with fragrance. I'm like a walking incense stick! LMAO! :p But sadly, I need nicotine ALL. THE. DAMN. TIME. I work at a grocery store as a cashier and there's no way I can vape in front of customers, and it can be a very stressful environment, so to last between breaks, I have to chew on a nicotine gum just to survive or I'll turn full-on junkie mode like that one day I forgot my nicotine gum at work! YEEESH!

But you know what? Other than needing nicotine all the time, I don't feel like I need to quit. Sure, I can go a full 30 minutes without nicotine before reaching for my ProVari, but I know that my general health has improved since switching to e-cigs. I'm willing to stay on them for the long run because, A, I enjoy vaping, and B, I want to prove that I can be a decades-long vaper that doesn't experience any long-term diseases or cancers from it. I'm that confident in the e-cig, and if blasphemous articles packed with nonsensical misinformation such as this .... I just read with OLD debunked studies keeps getting around, and the FDA gets their slimy fingers into the e-cig industry, a really good thing might just be taken away or shut down for a very greedy purpose. If e-cigs were banned tomorrow never to be available again, I don't know what I'd do. I'd probably move to an e-cig friendly country.

I wrote in my DeviantArt journal that explains ALL about the ins and outs of electronic cigarettes, definitions, how they work, and my exact setup that has worked for me including links to the products.

Here's the link to my e-cig journal:
http://texace146.deviantart.com/journal/A-Guide-to-Electronic-Cigarettes-352658216

Last edited by a moderator:

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
Not bad...I slightly disagree with point #1
If you grew tobacco in your back yard, harvested it, and smoked it, it would be 4,000 times less carcinogenic than ONE cigarette from a pack of Marlboro Ultra Lights. Cigarettes contain over 4,000 carcinogenic chemicals and are MANUFACTURED TO GIVE YOU CANCER AND KILL YOU so that big pharma can make money off of rehabilitation efforts! There's NO other need to add these harmful chemicals into cigarettes, but that is another article in itself.
What are the 3 biggest chemicals in cigarettes..forget the 4,000 other chemicals found in "trace amounts"
Nicotine, TAR, and Carbon Monoxide
Here is a list of many common name brand cigarettes that are on the market...a study done by the government
Nicotine, Tar, and CO Content of Regular Cigarette Brands
What do we remove from the equation when we vape rather than burn?
1.1 15 15 MARLBORO RED pkg
1.1mg of nicotine 15mg Tar 15mg Carbon Monoxide

Almost 15x the amount of TAR and CO as the teeny tiny hit of nicotine! (what are you REALLY getting addicted to?)
Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

CO is a poison that can be deadly at high levels. At moderate levels (according to the EPA), you or your family can get severe headaches, become dizzy, mentally confused, nauseated or faint. You can even die if these levels persist for an extended period of time. Low levels can cause shortness of breath, mild nausea and mild headaches, and may have longer term effects on your health. Since many of these symptoms are similar to those of the flu, food poisoning or other illnesses, you may not think that CO poisoning could be the cause.
http://www.consumersenergy.com/content.aspx?id=1483
Remember that "buzz" you got from your first real good "smoke"?

I wonder what the percentage reduction of BAD stuff it would be by eliminating just those two chemicals alone...the two chemicals you would still get even if you grew it in your back yard and smoked it?
90%....95%? Someone great at math figure that out...then look at that list...forget the "trace element" garbage it really is almost a moot point isn't it when you are sucking down that much TAR and CO EACH "cancer stick"...the two biggest killers are GONE!

Other than that...EXCELLENT EXCELLENT EXCELLENT post man....very good reply (you did start to get a bit torqued at the end didn't ya??)!

Last edited:

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Please don't be offended by my comments, they are not meant to be critical or personal, just perspective of writing well:

1) Being on the defensive is a REAL BAD place to be in terms of positioning and psychology.......in any negotiation it would be uh, death. So I disagree with *defending* ecigs in general. There's better ways to frame this.

2) Nobody is going to read that wall of text. Attention spans being what they are, sleuce and edit mercilessly if you want to write a succinct rebuttal that people will read.

you obviously have the passion about subject matter to make this a successful blog/response, and that is wonderful, but it needs some editing to about 1/8 the size

Last edited:

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
Look at the Huff and puffs track record Its a blog not the news Show me one good sound piece of investigative reporting they've done. Tell your friend if they think this is objective accurate journalism. They should transfer their saving to you cause they are in danger of buying the next bridge up for sale!

Texace146

Jan 22, 2013
Houston, TX
Not bad...I slightly disagree with point #1

What are the 3 biggest chemicals in cigarettes..forget the 4,000 other chemicals found in "trace amounts"
Nicotine, TAR, and Carbon Monoxide
Here is a list of many common name brand cigarettes that are on the market...a study done by the government
Nicotine, Tar, and CO Content of Regular Cigarette Brands
What do we remove from the equation when we vape rather than burn?
1.1 15 15 MARLBORO RED pkg
1.1mg of nicotine 15mg Tar 15mg Carbon Monoxide

Almost 15x the amount of TAR and CO as the teeny tiny hit of nicotine! (what are you REALLY getting addicted to?)Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning | Consumers Energy
Remember that "buzz" you got from your first real good "smoke"?

I wonder what the percentage reduction of BAD stuff it would be by eliminating just those two chemicals alone...the two chemicals you would still get even if you grew it in your back yard and smoked it?
90%....95%? Someone great at math figure that out...then look at that list...forget the "trace element" garbage it really is almost a moot point isn't it when you are sucking down that much TAR and CO EACH "cancer stick"...the two biggest killers are GONE!

Other than that...EXCELLENT EXCELLENT EXCELLENT post man....very good reply (you did start to get a bit torqued at the end didn't ya??)!

Haha! Yes, absolutely torqued! Thanks. Yeah, she didn't have any rebuttal to mine. Plus, this was on someone's Facebook wall so there wasn't much mass audience about it, but I will always do everything I can do to educate peoples' ignorance on electronic cigarettes. What really fries my ... is that some people would rather take a blind political stance on a certain matter and ignore whatever facts may be presented.

Also, math has never been my forte, but I do see what you're saying about the tar and carbon monoxide. If you're burning something, you just can't do anything about the carbon monoxide output; that's just going to always be there as that's a chemical reaction byproduct of the tobacco and paper burning. Not that I ever would grow my own tobacco as I enjoy my e-cigs and e-liquid flavors all too much, I would like to occasionally enjoy a celebratory cigar once in awhile, though I really haven't since I started vaping. Thanks for the feedback!

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Look at the Huff and puffs track record Its a blog not the news

Actually, Huffington Post is a news aggregator.

I have no idea why people point a finger at them as if they are the authors of the stuff. They aren't.

No different than Drudge Report, etc. they collect news from across the web and aggregate and distribute it.

Why are we reading certain things today? These sites use traffic analysis to find what people are reading, want to read.

If you really want to understand stuff, get some books written by experts in their field, say 2 conservative authors and 2 liberal authors and then hyou might start to see some truths emerge in the middle.

Otherwise, most of the internet is pretty much trash because people do not understand from where their "news" is even sourced. :) And people want to read paragraphs, not whole books, so their understanding of issues will be about that size........a paragraph. ;)

I use very little of what I see on the internet, at least since the World Wide Web started. Before that, back in the day, you could actually get information

Welll, ya'll know me by now, I'm pretty cynical about a lot of stuff, esp. when money is changing hands. Other stuff, I'm not cynical about at all. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread