Status
Not open for further replies.
since my first attempt at this thread never got posted or was taken down......here it goes again
So ive been toying around with using home made extracts in e liquid recently and ive decided to take the plunge finally. ive done quite a bit or research but some of the information i have found has raised more questions than answers.
Ive decided to try doing a calamansi (calamodin, phillipine lime) extract first since its not readily available anywhere and in being filipino, i am very familiiar with how it SHOULD taste since it is a common ingrediant in filipino cuisine. Which brings up my first concern. While researching the fruit or extracts of the fruit online for toxins and general health concerns. i found that it it contains limonene Limonene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia which apparently can be a respitory irratant.
This further worried me as i found a thread on reddit (im not well versed on reddit i never use it, and have since lost where the thread is, so im sorry if my terminology is off) concerning someone also using home made extracts in e-liquid. In the thread a user stated his concern with using homemade extracts because of the danger of them not being effectively bonded to a base with a higher heat tolerence which could lead to toxins etc. being released. I understand that it maybe just a worry wort on reddit, but they might be correct just trying to find the facts to make this liquid as correct and clean and healthy as possible.
Ive researched all of the other ingrediants that i need, and want to use in my e-liquid with the help of other ECF threads and others who i know and are doing DIY liquids effectively (none of which use their own flavoring unofrtunately). so this unfortunately is my last piece of the puzzle for me.
If any of you have answers or know of other threads, articles, blogs etc that can help or more importantly know the answer to any of my concerns or questions please leave any constructive help you can i would really appreciate it

rowdyplace

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2013
Birmingham, Alabama
Last edited:

buffaloguy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2012
Buffalo NY
If you search the forums you will find several threads here with the information you seek on how to make them. What will work and what wont work. You wont find much scientific info however and that might best be answered by one of our chemists around here.

Long story short. Homemade extracts can be done with herbs, teas, coffees. Nuts contain too many natural oils. Fruits contain too many sugars and must be distilled. Even dried fruits cannot be used (sugars even more concentrated).

I myself have researched this extensively and while I get great results with coffee, herbs, and teas.... fruit i have tried every homebrew way under the sun and short of making a distiller.... Im not going there. You are welcome to try and I hope you devise a way, but you are in for a long road unless you intend to distill any fruit to make flavoring for vaping.

Making an extract for cooking is a different beast. Those are great but not always suitable for the purposes of vaping. Sugars and oils arent things you want in vaping.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread