How do I troubleshoot my atty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian S

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2008
Cheryl ...

Hot Probe (Red) to the center hole of the atomizer (flipped upside down) And put the Grounding Probe to the threads ... = You should get your readings!!!

Brian, were those old atty's from me? I ask, because those are RN4072 atty's, not 801 atty's ... I tested a handful of new 801 atty's and never saw over 3.5 ... Most were in the 3.2-3.3 ohms range ...

I tested a series of 5 different kinds... Here were my results:
4072 Average - 3.7 ohms
801 Average - 3.3 ohms
901 Average - 3.1 ohms
510 Average - 2.9 ohms
401 Average - 2.5 ohms

Two were the old 4 hole style I've had for close to a year. The rest were bought about 4 months ago. They must be the RN4072 atomizers as they tend to be 3.7 ohms or higher. Sounds like I need to order some new ones when my stash of keepers runs low :)

Keep in mind I didn't start this thread to complain. I used to use Janty atomizers at $20 a pop so occasional duds at $10 was never a problem. I was just looking for a way to test them as soon as I get them because I hate to remove the primer when I know I won't be using them for a few months.

Please come out with a smaller 3.7v unit soon so I can get my wife to quit analogs :thumb: The PV1 is just too big for her. Pink or purple would be nice.

Brian

makdevo

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2009
Portland Oregon
Maybe I can explain it.

You measure across the filament (heating coil)

One probe goes on the center connection of the atty connector, the other probe goes to the outside connection of the atty.

The atty threads are a electrical connector with 2 connections, one for the + battery and one for the - battery.

The heating coil is nothing more than a piece of wire (special wire) wound up

Meter probe 0----------0 meter probe
filament

Measure atty coil resistance while it is cold. Set meter to ohm scale. connect the probes, observe the reading.

SharonLM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Deleted and ETA:

Interesting, took an 901 atty I JUST started using today (I've used it maybe 2 hours...dripping into it) and it measured 3.9. Took a brand new atty, never used and measured it and it measured 3.7. So, I think I've got it.

I've ruined 2 atty's since last night. I've never ruined atty's up until now. I am making my own liquid (diluting 36mg) and I think I'm making it too thick with glyercine making the atty work too hard, or flooding it, again making the atty work too hard, not sure, but I am learning. I've read that dripping is hard on an atty, but I hate using fillers on the carts, to me they don't taste good no matter what I do, I can't seem to get the cart filled properly and I keep getting a sore throat when I use any filler in a cart (just me I guess or my imagination).

Maybe I shouldn't give up and I should try to use a cart, but I won't go there yet. Not until I kill a few more atty's. However, may I mention that I've been dripping a long time now and haven't had any problems until the last few days.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread