How do the Chinese do it? Making Stuff for us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salt&PePPer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2012
Bakersfield
I have this question of mine and it seems like this would be the best place to ask this question.

I have been vaping for a few months now. I'm amazed at how intricate some of the pieces are in let's say my Kanger T2s. I bought a box of FIve of these for around $20. Most of the parts are machined from some type of metal.

In the facilities, factories, that assemble these Clearomizers, what have you, do they have literally hundreds of people working Metal Bench Top Lathes? Seems like a lot of work to me.

I've been wanting to get a CNC Mill and a Lathe for the longest time and I think the time is finally near. I will admit I have an addiction to racing and building RC cars and Fixing Old Watch and Clock Movements. Not to mention I would like to see if I could make any money at making my own mods and selling them.

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla
I have this question of mine and it seems like this would be the best place to ask this question.

I have been vaping for a few months now. I'm amazed at how intricate some of the pieces are in let's say my Kanger T2s. I bought a box of FIve of these for around $20. Most of the parts are machined from some type of metal.

In the facilities, factories, that assemble these Clearomizers, what have you, do they have literally hundreds of people working Metal Bench Top Lathes? Seems like a lot of work to me.

I've been wanting to get a CNC Mill and a Lathe for the longest time and I think the time is finally near. I will admit I have an addiction to racing and building RC cars and Fixing Old Watch and Clock Movements. Not to mention I would like to see if I could make any money at making my own Mods and selling them.
mass assembly makes it easy. specialized machines pump out hundreds of individual parts per hour, and assemble them. It's not the tipical carve from a lathe stuff you see on the modders forum.

Combine the high rate of production, not paying for a decent level of quality control, and cheap labor, and not needing to import the materials because they already have them, and you can make just about anything ultra cheap.

Last edited:

Str8V8ping

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2011
NYC
Thes shenghen and qundoung factories are huge and make tons of different products under the same roof from toys to jewelry to ecigs. No real quality control just get parts running through the machines as quickly as possible and send it to the assembly room where usually young girls wire it all up quick.No testing is done .Its just plug in wires and throw in the finished bin. The one thing iv always wondered with china mods is in the same factories they are pumping out kids toys and jewelry with lead based paint so i wonder if mods are too. If you look at some they are just cheap copper tubes with cheaply done finishes.

Heres a vid of dse ecig assembly in china
DSE - Chinese Electronic Cigarette Manufacturer - Ecig Wholesale Supplier- Ecig China Manufacturer - YouTube

another
http://youtu.be/GCe1PsQzLEc

http://youtu.be/y7tjbqRxXSk

Last edited:

Salt&PePPer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2012
Bakersfield
Well it's evident that the 'CHEAP' is all in the cards.

For example if they could make a Clearo that would work and have a 1% Failure rate I would be more than willing to pay 50% more for the product. And often times its much less of an investment on the production end that will produce those results.

How can I convince a single manufacturer to invest just a little bit more money into production so they can eek-out some High Quality, high quality in their terms not Western terms, products that won't be crap?

I understand economies of scale, but this is just ridiculous!

Hottody

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2011
Temcula CA
Good points, I think if an American Company made cartomizers they would enjoy a good portion of the market. I suppose many people just don't want to pay 50% more. It is still viable to make products in America, but because labor is so cheap in other parts of the world, manufacturing in many industries has left the U.S. I have noticed that more plants, e even overseas are becoming ISO certified and this will only improve manufacturing standards. :toast:

Str8V8ping

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2011
NYC
From a electronics standpoint alone the chinese wouldnt be able to produce something as high quality as a US manufacturer .This is because chinese electronics componants themselves are really crap. You can only base a electronic build of specs and datasheets and chinese electronics componants manufacturer usually dont even come with datasheets and when they do they are highly innacurate,then toppled with super cheap mass production and scrap materials leading to a super high failure rate. Now US electronics manufacturers like texas instruments,phillips,luxeon etc and japanese componant manufacturers put out very detailed precise datasheets which allows a designer to know what they are working with. It really all comes back to the bigger manufacturers supplying the smaller chinese manufactures with junk and then having unexperienced assemblers putting it together. Lastly,the chinese know that putting out a subpar products which are usually exported is not going hurt there sales in the slightest expecially when they own the market just over the price factor that US companies cant match.

jimbalny

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2011
New York
Well it's evident that the 'CHEAP' is all in the cards.

For example if they could make a Clearo that would work and have a 1% Failure rate I would be more than willing to pay 50% more for the product. And often times its much less of an investment on the production end that will produce those results.

How can I convince a single manufacturer to invest just a little bit more money into production so they can eek-out some High Quality, high quality in their terms not Western terms, products that won't be crap?

I understand economies of scale, but this is just ridiculous!

High quality would require hiring skilled workers to work for more times, more r&d in the actual manufacturing process and using quality sourced materials (which I suppose would mean certified by quality and safety standards). Plus the extra money to ship out all the products overseas, you'd probably be looking at comparable cost to US-based manufacturing.

Lastly,the chinese know that putting out a subpar products which are usually exported is not going hurt there sales in the slightest expecially when they own the market just over the price factor that US companies cant match.

Agreed. From all the supposed "high quality" and "warrantied" products I've had the pleasure of replacing at work, you'd think that something that was expensive and has a great warranty might actually be built with quality parts. That is never the case, it's all a game of numbers. The manufacturer uses cheap parts that sometimes fail within a few days of installing, something 6 years (with a 5 year warranty). As far as flourescent ballasts go, many of them fail AT 5 years. From the ones I've opened up to check out of curiosity, most I've seen were blown caps. My Line-6 guitar amp failed on me, caps as well! The best any of us can do to counter this in stuff we buy is learn how to fix it, but as electronics get smaller and smaller it becomes way more difficult to do. We need to start having efficient whole-house dc transformers in our homes, voltage ripple is killer and most dc power supplies are not very efficient.

Rocketman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
SouthEastern Louisiana
I think the biggest killer of Chinese e-cig products is the American consumer.

The tobacco cigarette, not a cheap thing any more, is pretty darn delicate. You had to be a klutz to break a bunch of those. But when you see posts about my eGo just fell apart (in my pocket), or my tank just broke on it's own, you wonder how did these people smoke a paper wrapped cigarette?

When some people report that their e-cig lasted months (I still have functioning DSE-901 batts) and others complain that the quality of Chinese e-cigs is crap, it makes you wonder.

What really chaps mine, is the U.S. small business that buys 500 adapters for less than a dollar a piece, shipped, and charges 4 to 5 dollars for it. Sure, some or our vendors are making a small profit, but when they buy from China, or contract with a Chinese manufacturer for part of their product then claim it's made in America, then that's sad.
We'll moan about Chinese e-cigs, but go stand in line for the next X-Box, I-Phone, I-Pad.
We'll buy foreign autos, why? It can't be because the American union workers, including Quality Control Inspectors, American Designers, can't do as good a job as the Japanese, or Swedish, or Germans.
If some American e-cig manufacture wanted to they could design a PWM controller chip, have about a million of them made, connect it to a million power mosfets, and make their own eGo style e-cig. Make it to handle 5 amps, not die with a LR carto. Sell it for $25.
Why don't they? They're smart enough. Plenty of market.

Not posted using my Chinese I-phone :)

Last edited:

dragonbone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2009
Somewhere
I think the biggest killer of Chinese e-cig products is the American consumer.

The tobacco cigarette, not a cheap thing any more, is pretty darn delicate. You had to be a klutz to break a bunch of those. But when you see posts about my eGo just fell apart (in my pocket), or my tank just broke on it's own, you wonder how did these people smoke a paper wrapped cigarette?

When some people report that their e-cig lasted months (I still have functioning DSE-901 batts) and others complain that the quality of Chinese e-cigs is crap, it makes you wonder.

Not posted using my Chinese I-phone :)
Me too! I still have working DSE901 batteries AND 901 atomizers that I have used for 3.5 years! And up to a couple of months ago, I even had 4 working RN4081 batteries. They only fried because of a new USB charger that I bought (from The US). There was nothing wrong with the old bulky charger, but I wanted the smaller one.

Posted using my made in China Apple iPad.... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread