How do you stop yourself from impulse buying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VapinWolf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Grand Bay, Alabama USA
The only thing I try to stick to is not making orders late at night. Im always browsing the internet and shopping before bed and when I am tired ill buy anything lol. The way I look at it is I love nicotine, some people love caffeine and I love nicotine. I am doing what I consider the healthiest way to get nicotine and I consider it a hobby. Some times ill also wait and try and find a better deal which most of the time gives me more time to think if I really need whatever I was looking at or not.

I usually get home from work after midnight and surf the vape shops to wind down. This isn't good. If there is any doubt I need something I mention I might get it to my wife. She let's me know I don't need anything else. I have taken to letting her sleep, poor dear needs her rest.

In my defense I was diagnosed with ADOS....

'Attention Deficit - OH!!! SHINY!!!!'

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

ladygadget

May 23, 2013
California Delta
When you're a noob, you feel like there's so much to try. I've only been vaping seriously for 7 weeks. And at first, it's not cheaper than cigs. But in the long run it is because you are no longer ingesting all those horrible chemicals into your body. I've figured out now what types of flavors I prefer - and I think I like tanks over the other options. I guess you have to experiment, just don't get crazy. But then crazy is in the mind of the beholder, no?

OperationMove

Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Ohio, USA
I agree with most of the people that have answered so far. Ive only been into this for about 3 months, and I must admit I have made a ton of impulse purchases that I couldn't live without. First it was a few ego twists to replace my ego-T. Then a 1300 mah vision spinner, a few Evods... then before you know it I own a evic, 2 rebuildable drippers, a mech mod (smok natural), kanthal wires in 3 gauges, 2 and 3mm wick, and a ton of tanks/bottles of juice. It's easy to get addicted to these things, but after all it's still better than being addicted to analogs.

Another thing to consider is once you find your "sweet spot" or the setup you really enjoy, you probably won't impulse buy as much any more. I found after my 3 month stint of buying everything mentioned above, I run mostly the same setup on a daily basis. When I pop a coil I rebuild one with my surplus of wick/wire for around 4 cents and continue on my routine. I have come to a point where I'm happy with my vaping experience, and most things I would consider an "upgrade" to my current gear are $100+ or more investments, which make it that much easier NOT to impulse buy them, haha. When I first started I could drop 20 bucks on something better than I had before, not the case these days. Still, it's good to know I'm not the only one! :D

Mercurial_One1

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Atlanta, GA
I spend all month putting things in a cart and then taking them out and then putting a few of them back after a bit or research. I order once a month whether I need to or not. Retirement isn't all its cracked up to be.

lol I'm so glald I'm not the only one that does that. If anyone could see how many times I've hit "Add to Cart" then closed the entire window...

Btw, have you noticed that some sites are stalking you after you do that? I've gotten a couple of emails that say I didn't complete my order. Sheesh, way to not let me have any fun.

Dad2daBone

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I didn't give up smoking to save money. Was pissing away $300 a month on smokes. I figure if you look at how much you would have spent on cigarettes then how much you've spent on vaping goodies.... If you spent the same or less then I'd say no problem there. If it's a lot more....... well..... Hey as long as the bills get paid and your not sacrificing other important financial responsibilities. Enjoy your hobby, collection and most of all your health :toast:

vap2112

Jun 30, 2013
Sandia, Texas, U.S.A.
My impulse buying is not limited to just Vaping. For example, I have 4 Harley's i can only ride one at a time i know my wife reminds me a lot. 4 dirt bikes. 1 1981 vette. 2 trucks 2 ski boats. 4 jet ski's. The list never stops. But they are all paid for.. and my grand daughters spend more of my money than I do. But yea im ate up with it. My wife is a penny pincher, Exact opposite of me... guess thats were the opposites atract thing comes in...

Jfaria1891

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2012
The Huge State Of Rhode Island
my landlord actually came up to me the other day and was like what the hell are you doing in there u get atleast 1 package almost every day i think i seen 6 packages at your doorstep the other day all shipped different ways some in the mail some by UPS some by fedex.

so i explained to him what i was ordering and introduced him to ecigs and had him try a bunch of different stuff.

... i do order way to much... and just ordered a kamry k100 today.... i couldnt resist it was less then half price on fasttech.

edit: he dips so idk if ecigs would work for him but he sure was interested and i told him im only nextdoor if he has any questions haha.

Last edited:

Section1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2010
Metropolis, IL, Earth
It is hard not to want to try alk the new things coming out. In a way I think I'm still looking for my perfect vape although I have several I like. I will say most stuff is just sitting in a box and I only tried it once and moved on to something else. I have slowed down on my buying but still keep a eye out for the next new thing that promises to be the best ever.

Sent from my NOOK using Tapatalk 2

Snicks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2013
Riverside, CA
It is hard not to want to try alk the new things coming out. In a way I think I'm still looking for my perfect vape although I have several I like. I will say most stuff is just sitting in a box and I only tried it once and moved on to something else. I have slowed down on my buying but still keep a eye out for the next new thing that promises to be the best ever.

Sent from my NOOK using Tapatalk 2

Thats part of my problem as well Section1. I'm always looking for a better vape. I figure if I keep trying different things I'll eventually find that combo that rocks.

I'm happy with what I have but most of the stuff I buy doesn't get used.

It didn't occur to me until now, that I've been getting vape mail at least once a week for the past few months. Whether it's juices, tips, tanks or mods, it's all been coming my way. I love the excitement of it all, the "hype" you can say. It's playing a big part in why i've strayed away from the idea of cigs, but there's got to be a line lol...

I would just like to know everybody else's experiences. If vape mail on a weekly basis is overdoing it.

Before we started selling products, we bought A LOT of tanks/carto/batteries and mods. Hubby did ALL the research, mostly from this forum. Once we added it ALL up, and it was a lot, we figured we still spent less than the ciggies we both smoked!! I think as long as you are spending less, or as much as you did on ciggies, considering the health factor, you are still ahead!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread