How does battery voltage work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin1911

Jun 3, 2018
I'm pretty new to vaping and am trying to learn about battery safety. The question I have is: if I have a Voopoo Drag (dual 18650) and my batteries fully charged are 3.7v (7.4 in series), and I'm continuously vaping at 5.8v, what happens as the batteries are depleted? If my batteries don't have 5.8v of charge but my device is still demanding 5.8v, that's bad right? And how do you tell how many volts your batteries are charged to if the mod doesn't tell you (mine only has the little battery icon with bars that disappar as the battery drains)? Sorry if it's a dumb or hard to understand question, I'm just trying to make sure I get this right. Thanks.

Reactions: stols001

stormjib

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2014
California
Fully charged batteries have a charge of 4.2 volts. 3.7 is their 'nominal' charge, irrelevant to our uses. So a dual battery mod like yours, series, fully charged has 8.4 volts. The purpose of the chip/board is to regulate the voltage, when your batteries exceed the voltage required, it 'steps down' the current. When the required voltage exceeds the charge of the battery, the chipset 'boosts' the power. So you really don't have to worry at all about the voltage of your battery, in typical use...although once they get low, it's typical that the mod won't be able to deliver the power....but by then it's time to recharge them or lower your wattage. Hope that helps some. I'm not an expert but I'm confident that this information is correct.

EverythingEvil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2014
Grand Junction, Co
Thats not exactly how it works, the chip in a regulated mod can essentialy pull whatever voltage it needs from the batteries based on the wattage set and the resistance of the coil used. Im not sure if most mods have a voltage cut off or not. I run my mod at about 6v constant with no issues.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
If my batteries don't have 5.8v of charge but my device is still demanding 5.8v, that's bad right?
Your device is delivering 5.8V, not demanding 5.8V. Your device demands power from the battery not just voltage.
Power is voltage times current or P = V*A, the unit is Watts. Your device draws the same power from your batteries as it delivers to your atomizer (plus eventual losses to heat in the electronics but let's leave that out).

You just gave us the 5.8V, that isn't enough information to tell how much power needs to be drawn from the batteries. I'll make up a situation to clarify how it works, let's say you fire the 5.8V on a 0.5Ω coil, that means 11.6A on the atomizer side, all in all a power of 67.2W on the atomizer side.
The device then needs to draw 67.2W from the battery side, how it does that will change with battery charge.
Eg if the battery is at 4.0V then the circuit will draw 16.8A from your battery, if it's lower, eg at 3.3V, the circuit will draw 22.4A. Note that 4.0V*16.8A = 3.3V*22.4A = 67.2W, both times the same power is drawn from the battery but with different voltage and current.

Usually you just set the power on the atomizer side (voltage mode is rare these days) and don't need to compute power on the atomizer side.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I'm pretty new to vaping and am trying to learn about battery safety. The question I have is: if I have a Voopoo Drag (dual 18650) and my batteries fully charged are 3.7v (7.4 in series), and I'm continuously vaping at 5.8v, what happens as the batteries are depleted? If my batteries don't have 5.8v of charge but my device is still demanding 5.8v, that's bad right? And how do you tell how many volts your batteries are charged to if the mod doesn't tell you (mine only has the little battery icon with bars that disappar as the battery drains)? Sorry if it's a dumb or hard to understand question, I'm just trying to make sure I get this right. Thanks.

Hi Justin. Welcome to the ECF.

First off, Don't be Confused by the Voltage that your Voopoo Drag (or any Regulated Mod) is Outputting and what the Battery(s) in your Mod are Outputting. They are 2 Different Things.

Your Battery(s) just kinda sit there. And when it can Output Voltage, it Outputs Voltage at whatever it current charge state is. So 2 Freshly Charged 18650 Batteries in Series would Output 8.4 Volts (4.2v + 4.2v)

The Batteries Don't Really Know what they are Connected to. And they Don't Really Care. They just Output 8.4 Volts if there is something to Output to. And this Voltage will start to drop as they are allowed to Output Voltage.

Now the user wants say 5.8 Volts to be sent to the Atomizer. But the 2 Freshly Charged Batteries are Outputting 8.4 Volts. So the Regulated Board inside the Mod "Bucks" the Voltage down to 5.8 Volts. And that is what is Sent to your Atomizer.

Same with when the Batteries Drain down and the User want More Voltage that what the Batteries are Outputting. The Regulated Board inside the Mod "Boosts" the Voltage to a Higher Voltage that what the Batteries are Outputting and then send that to the Atomizer.

This is also How a Single Battery Mod can have Output Voltages that are Higher than what the Battery is Outputting. The Board "Boosts" the Voltage coming from the Battery. Or if the User want Less Volts that what the Battery is Outputting. The Board "Bucks" the Voltage down to a Lower Voltage that what the Battery is Outputting.

Your Battery doesn't really even know Any of this is going on. It just sits there and Outputs whatever Voltage it has if it can.

It's the Regulated Board in between your Battery(s) and your Atomizer where All the Magic Happens.

Last edited:

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined.
I have provided a little more information which might help evaluating batteries.
Might like to read:
18650 Battery Buying Guide for Vapor Users – Wake and Vape Blog
Index | E-Cigarette Forum
Battery Safety: Will You Marry Me? - Mt Baker Vapor
A Guide to Safe Charging - The Complete Guide to E-Cig Safety
Vaping 101: Battery Safety
7 Best Practices to Keep Your Charge
Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

• Useful
Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.