HOW HIGH or LOW does your STATE rank in "Cigarette Taxes"? Maybe get a shock? Smoking is bad for us - GOOD for "Government"!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Robertson

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
I was looking at the "Campaign for tobacco Free Kids" (Always Fo' the Chillun' - to heck with Big People) and I was shocked to see what some folks have to (had to) pay in TAXES on demon "cigarettes". The TOTAL PRICE is absolutely HORRIBLE! Politicians balance their budgets (or not) on the backs of smokers AND drinkers. Government at all levels sure must LIKE the smokers far more than they admit. All that garbage about "taxing them to keep them from the chillun'" - pure hogwash IMHO.

If you care to list your state .... Where do you rank for TOTAL COST?? Any others you care to list - or not.

New Mexico (The Land of Entrapment) obviously "loves to see folks smoke"! No wonder we have so many 'Po' Folk'! Prices on "the reservations" are equally as high --- good profits.

If ya like ...... show YOUR state info. If not ......... OK and OK!

Average Retail Price Per Pack (with all taxes) ......... $6.25 Per Pack
Cigarette Excise Tax Per Pack ..................................$1.66
Excise Tax Rank (Highest = 1) ............................... 21st :blush:
State Sales Tax Rate ............................................ 5.5%
State Sales Tax Per Pack .......................................$0.33
Total State Tax Per Pack .......................................$1.99
Total Tax Rank (Highest = 1) ............................... 19th :glare:

Sorry ....... nice and "crooked" lines .... I think. Bad eyes syndrome.

I hope this works --------> http://www.tobaccofreekids.org/research/factsheets/pdf/0202.pdf

Senile Old Man Don

** I don't know if NY is the highest - but these numbers don't really shock me for ALCOHOL TAXES: UNDER 24% Alcohol = $2.54/gal.; OVER 24% Alcohol add $1.oo per Gallon and in addition ANOTHER $1.00/gal. in New York City. SMOKES and ALCOHOL are BAD for folks, huh? Not the "tax man"! Sheesh...... I now know why the dual-vice dilemma means a second or third JOB for some folks! I didn't even go near "GASOLINE"! I do see why "cabs" are so popular (plus the traffic).:ohmy:

Last edited:

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Louisiana

Average Retail Price Per Pack (with all taxes) .........$4.48 Per Pack
Cigarette Excise Tax Per Pack ..............................$0.36
Excise Tax Rank (Highest = 1) ...............................49th
State Sales Tax Rate ...........................................4.0%
State Sales Tax Per Pack ....................................$0.17
Total State Tax Per Pack ....................................$0.53
Total Tax Rank (Highest = 1) ............................... 50th

BUT we are taxed heavily at the local level and the state is in the process of adding another $1 per pack tax atm.

LEE9476

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Monson, MA, USA
Massachusetts:

Average Retail Price Per Pack (with all taxes) .........$8.65
Cigarette Excise Tax Per Pack ..............................$3.51
Excise Tax Rank (Highest = 1) ...............................2nd
State Sales Tax Rate ...........................................6.25%
State Sales Tax Per Pack ....................................$0.51
Total State Tax Per Pack ....................................$4.02
Total Tax Rank (Highest = 1) ...............................3rd

And more relevant to me personally...

Chewing & Smoking tobacco Tax.....................Chewing: 210% w/s price; Smoking: 40%

I ended up paying $3 and upwards in tax alone for a tin! Copenhagen Straight cost me as much as $13 in most places, and I bought at least one a day, most times two. I wish I lived down South :(

jp_cfc09

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
lost
still not as bad as here in the uk lol, http://www.the-tma.org.uk/~thetma/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/TMA-Tobacco-Tax-Briefing.pdf

our tax is added to the price before we buy but from that link in 2012 on a average pack costing £7.22 we pay overall tax of £5.91. since then my brand now costs £8.50 pushing the overall tax i would be paying way over £6.

quick conversion to $ on XE: (GBP/USD) British Pound to US Dollar Rate makes that $10 overall tax costing more then what a pack costs in usa lol. thats complete madness to me that the uk government thinks it right to tax us that much im so glad i dont smoke anymore because i think id cry knowing that every time i got a new pack lol. :):):):):)

LEE9476

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Monson, MA, USA
still not as bad as here in the uk lol, http://www.the-tma.org.uk/~thetma/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/TMA-Tobacco-Tax-Briefing.pdf

our tax is added to the price before we buy but from that link in 2012 on a average pack costing £7.22 we pay overall tax of £5.91. since then my brand now costs £8.50 pushing the overall tax i would be paying way over £6.

quick conversion to $ on XE: (GBP/USD) British Pound to US Dollar Rate makes that $10 overall tax costing more then what a pack costs in usa lol. thats complete madness to me that the uk government thinks it right to tax us that much im so glad i dont smoke anymore because i think id cry knowing that every time i got a new pack lol. :):):):):)

Speaking from experience, a pack of Marlboro reds here in the states costs around $10 or $11... We feel (felt) your pain!

NiNi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2013
Paulden, Arizona
Arizona

Average Retail Price Per Pack (with all taxes) $6.71
Cigarette Excise Tax Per Pack $2.00
Excise Tax Rank (Highest = 1) 12th
State Sales Tax Rate 5.6%
State Sales Tax Per Pack $0.36
Total State Tax Per Pack $2.36
Total Tax Rank (Highest = 1) 15th

Arizona Attorney General Grant Woods (and others) were behind the whole "Save the Children, Anti-Smoking Campaign" that eliminated smoking from restaurants and other public places Nationwide......but since a lot of the state is rural, you can easily find public places where no one cares about smoking regulations.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Maryland

Average Retail Price Per Pack (with all taxes) ........... $6.44
Excise Tax .......................................................... $2.00
Excise Tax Rank .................................................. 12th
Excise Tax Rank .................................................. 6.0%
State Sales Tax Per Pack ...................................... $0.36
Total State Tax Per Pack ....................................... $2.36
Total Tax Rank .................................................... 13th

state i recently moved from...

Pennsylvania

Average Retail Price Per Pack (with all taxes) ........... $5.95
Excise Tax .......................................................... $1.60
Excise Tax Rank .................................................. 22nd
Excise Tax Rank .................................................. 6.0%
State Sales Tax Per Pack ...................................... $0.34
Total State Tax Per Pack ....................................... $1.94
Total Tax Rank .................................................... 31st

when i traveled to NY often for work, i considered bringing an extra couple cartons to sell on each trip. fast, easy money almost no matter where you buy them. prices there are ridiculous on a whole other level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread