Will YOU STOP vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

papabogart

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2013
Satis, Faction
A recent discussion on the Ahlusion thread got me wondering. If the FDA rules vaping liquids are a "tobacco" product, it most assuredly will be subject to taxation. Yes, I make some twisted connections.
Cigarettes are taxed per pack. Assuming that the average smoker smokes one pack a day and that the average vaper vapes 3-5ml per day, let's assume e-liquids are subjected to taxation with 3ml and then 5ml equating to one pack of cigarettes. Currently the Federal tax per pack is $1.01, no matter what State it is purchased. Individual States then add their own taxes which vary.

You can find your State's rate here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cigarette_taxes_in_the_United_States
or
or
http://www.tobaccofreekids.org/research/factsheets/pdf/0202.pdf

I hope this doesn't get into a discussion about looking for loopholes (nic vs no nic) or whether the govt. should keep it's nose out of our business, or health aspects or whether my e-liquid tax assumptions are correct--please pretend that they are--humour me. :).
I would just like to see you calculate the cost of their favorite juice at the assumed rate of 5ml being taxed at the pack rate and then at the 3ml rate and voice whether or not that cost would cause you to quit vaping.

I live in Ohio and my most expensive vendor is Ahlusion, so the cost of 30ml untaxed is $17.00. Federal tax $1.01 (per pack rate/per 5ml rate) x6 = $6.06. State tax is &1.25 (per pack rate/per 5ml rate) X6 = $7.50. Total tax on 30ml = $13.56 Total = 30.56.

So, here is my sample post:

Ohio
Total cost of 30ml at 5ml rate = $30.56
I'd still buy.
If it were taxed at 3ml rate = $39.60
I'd quit or moonshine

Mixcalculated--usually I'm not too bad at math :(

Re-edint: My math sucks! Will correct the others I did and I QUIT.

Last edited:

papabogart

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2013
Satis, Faction
All those figures are hurting my head lol ;) No, I would not stop vaping, I think I'd just learn to DIY. My state gets enough of my money as it is.

Im not going to do the math however even with taxes Im pretty sure It would still be cheaper for me to vape than smoke and definitely healthier.

NP. It was just an exercise to pass the time today. I was wondering what people's pain limit was.
I can't tell where you are Joe, but Avid, your Mass. tax rate at 5ml would be $22.07 ($39.07 for 30ml of Ahlusion) and $36.11 at 3ml rate ($53.11 for a bottle of Ahlusion). You could move. Lol

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
Stockpiling nic liquid and DIY will become even more attractive.

If anyone were to apply some sense to the entire industry, i'd suggest that since nicotine is often compared to caffeine in terms of danger to the individual, i'd be happy to pay the same rate of tax as coffee incurs and not a cent more!

T

williamclarkonet

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 11, 2014
Iowa United States
A recent discussion on the Ahlusion thread got me wondering. If the FDA rules vaping liquids are a "tobacco" product, it most assuredly will be subject to taxation. Yes, I make some twisted connections.
Cigarettes are taxed per pack. Assuming that the average smoker smokes one pack a day and that the average vaper vapes 3-5ml per day, let's assume e-liquids are subjected to taxation with 3ml and then 5ml equating to one pack of cigarettes. Currently the Federal tax per pack is $1.01, no matter what State it is purchased. Individual States then add their own taxes which vary.

You can find your State's rate here:

or
or
http://www.tobaccofreekids.org/research/factsheets/pdf/0202.pdf

I hope this doesn't get into a discussion about looking for loopholes (nic vs no nic) or whether the govt. should keep it's nose out of our business, or health aspects or whether my e-liquid tax assumptions are correct--please pretend that they are--humour me. :).
I would just like to see you calculate the cost of their favorite juice at the assumed rate of 5ml being taxed at the pack rate and then at the 3ml rate and voice whether or not that cost would cause you to quit vaping.

I live in Ohio and my most expensive vendor is Ahlusion, so the cost of 30ml untaxed is $17.00. Federal tax $1.01 (per pack rate/per 5ml rate) x6 = $6.06. State tax is &1.25 (per pack rate/per 5ml rate) X6 = $7.50. Total tax on 30ml = $8.51 Total = 25.51.

So, here is my sample post:

Ohio
Total cost of 30ml at 5ml rate = $25.51
I'd still buy.
If it were taxed at 3ml rate = $39.60
I'd quit or moonshine.
Well done post!!! I have never thought of this but now i am, good stuff!

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
i buy from china, so the cost of 50ml untaxed is $6.00. Federal tax $1.01 (per pack rate/per 5ml rate) x10 = $10.10. State tax(IF APPLIES) is &1.98 (per pack rate/per 5ml rate) x10 = $19.80. Total tax on 50ml(IF STATE TAX IS APPLIED) = $29.90 Total = 35.90.

i would be forced to go back to cigarettes - currently at 8$ a pack....

i would be loosing more money vaping.

Davey59

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Monroe WA
We here in WA state are in the top 4 or 5 tax happy ....... club of the country.

May seam kinda weird but the biggest pleasure I have had form no longer smoking is NOT paying those A-holes the cigarette tax. If I can't get around it somehow (yes tax evasion) I will absolutely stop. Of course I am assuming they are not going to be reasonable about any of it. I think in this case past performance is absolutely indicative of a future response.

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Independence, Louisiana, United States
I have at least 5 years worth of nicotine in the freezer now, will double that soon. If the FDA stick its nose into vaping which will probably happen then the vaping industry would be just about done with. It would be too costly for new people to start vaping which is what big tobacco and big pharma wants. It was never about whats best for us, its all about the $$$.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Cigarette taxes are primarily sin taxes based on harm reduction and a recoup of costs to the state for lung cancer and other medical costs associated with smoking cigarettes. The high taxes are also extracted to augment the payout of the supposed tobacco settlement costs to the states. Corporations don't pay taxes, people pay taxes.

Vaping isn't a national health problem. Fair tax in my opinion would be the normal retail sales tax for the state they are sold in. If medical issues are a problem, then why isn't there a separate fat tax levied on fast foods and snacks? If government has their way, they will shift the taxation from tobacco to vaping juices as the numbers tilt toward vaping instead of smoking. It's only that they want funding for non-tobacco related programs, not for harm reduction and the costs associated with vaping (there are few or none, IMO).

Here's what RJR has to say about it.
https://www.rjrt.com/taxpays.aspx

The numbers also show that states aren't spending the tobacco tax money for urging kids not to smoke. It all goes into the general fund to be spent for everything that the states decide to support.

Last edited:

Davey59

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Monroe WA
Cigarette taxes are primarily sin taxes based on harm reduction and a recoup of costs to the state for lung cancer and other medical costs associated with smoking cigarettes. The high taxes are also extracted to help the tobacco companies pay the tobacco settlement costs to the states. Corporations don't pay taxes, people pay taxes.

Vaping isn't a national health problem. Fair tax in my opinion would be the normal retail sales tax for the state they are sold in. If medical issues are a problem, then why isn't their a separate fat tax levied on fast foods and snacks? If government has their way, they will shift the taxation from tobacco to vaping juices as the numbers tilt toward vaping instead of smoking. It's only that they want funding for non-tobacco related programs, not for harm reduction and the costs associated with vaping (there are few or none, IMO).

Here's what RJR has to say about it.
https://www.rjrt.com/taxpays.aspx

Fair and taxes... in the same sentence. Heh, that is optimism right there. I don't disagree.

Want a fat tax? vote for Billary. She tried her dammedest to start that back in the early nineties. I would have to pay that too :)

Sirius

Star Puppy
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Carolina
How ironic. At the beginning of the post that started all that debating I stated how I wasn't trying to start a chitslinging. Looks like that was a major FAIL.

Nope....If Ahlusion goes up one more dollar I'll order from them no more. Don't get me wrong, nobody is as genius at blending as Wlad, but I'm on a budget. If, and that's a big if. federal regulations or state of Georgia regulations cause me to have to pay more than around $15 per 30ml, I'll DIY. I feel pretty sad that all that slinging even got started when I was only expressing my frustration because a fave flavor was changed. I'll know better than to ever speak my mind again on a fan page though. Lesson learned. :glare:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread