How I keep my attys going

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vidi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I keep reading about how everyones attys keep dying on them. either they reduce in vapor production or the pop and are dead completely. I recently ordered 6 more attys just to be sure I had some backups ( I did the initial test run on all six to be sure I didn't get duds ) but I have only ever really used the two attys that came with my starter kit.

Now maybe I'm just lucky in this but as I see all these different techniques to clean attys I keep thinking, hmm why don't I have to do all that?

So I do this once a day or every other day and everytime I change to a different flavor.

I take a paper towel and roll up a corner so it will fit into the atty. I do NOT turn the towel once its in there, as I don't want to damage the bridge. Then I put my mouth over the battery end and blow like hell, being sure I am blowing through the little holes on the side as well.

I do this a few times until the towel comes out clean and then I add a couple of drops of whatever im about to vape to the bridge. I take one test vape directly off the attys ( no cartridge ) then if all is good, I replace the cartridge and continue to vape. This has even removed Atomic Cinnacide flavor.

Also, there is a black build up on the threads. I put my finger nail in there with a paper towel between my nail and the threads and just turn the atty while my fingernail follows the thread. The battery will also get the build up and I use the tips of tweezers instead of my finger nail for that one.

Now I know sooner or later my attys will pop on me. But other than that I have had no issues with them. Like I said, maybe Ive been lucky but I really think that this simple easy daily maintenance has contributed to their life. And the whole process takes only a few minutes.

75 days and counting on my first two attys.

Xanax

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2010
East Coast
You sure are doing something right!

Do you vape PG or VG or PG/VG (blends at what ratio)... just curious?

I know the question wasn't for me and I don't want to steal the MrGrimme's thunder but I thought my input might be useful as well so here it is!:
I stick to TWO juices only and I never switch it up. I do mix the two juices without rinsing sometimes but that's rare. I actually didn't rinse my attys up until about a month ago, so they've been going this long without a rinse. I vape 90% PG 10% VG juices only. I do have one version of the same juice that is all PG 100% but I don't vape that all too often. That's about all there is to tell :) I vape at a TRUE 3.7v and ALWAYS have a fresh battery so I don't think my voltage drops below 4.0 ever. I have never let a fresh battery go longer than 12 hours except for once (they last 44 hrs for me)

I think that ALWAYS keeping a fresh battery in my Chuck, and vaping at 4.0-4.2 all day every day vaporizes the juices at a higher temperature and vaporizes all of the juice that hits the coil so there's no residual juice to be clogged or gunked on. Also I tend to flood my attys a lot, so my attys NEVER go dry.

Vidi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Ive been using ALOT of different juices trying to find my "every day vape' I vape dekang, tasty Vapor, Ms T's and Vapor bomb juices some are PG only some are pg/vg mixtures never more than 50% VG ( so far ) I think my preferred mix currently is 80% PG 20% VG. I get good TH and good vapor with that. The vaporbomb stuff is 50/50 and while the vapor and flavor is astoundingly good, the TH is less than what I prefer. My next vaporbomb order will be a more PG favored mix. I love how vaporbomb allows for pretty much any mix of PG/VG.

I have found only one juice I cannot vape. Johnson Creek Original - its god awful, but I'm sure some would actually enjoy it. Just not my cup of joe.

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
Thnx for the info. The reason I asked is because I don't get such long life out of my attys and I suspect it has mostly todo with the higher VG ratio that i prefer. I seem to like at least 50% VG. Especially 510s don't last that long for me. I have better luck with 901, 801, 401 attys as far as lifespan goes. An atty lasting a month is a long time for me (but by that I mean primary heavy use for a month solid).

Thnx for the point about using fresh batts as much as possible Xanax, I think there may be something to that too. With a fresh batt you end up producing a good hit quickly and are less likely to be leaning on the button trying to make it work and just killing the atty more quickly instead.

Andtyler2

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2009
Chicago, IL
Also I tend to flood, my attys a lot, so my attys NEVER go dry.

Not sure about the impact of battery voltage (something to think about for sure) But I've been wondering about the wet/dry issue and atty life.

My 510 atty's used to last a lot longer than they do these days. (Months before and weeks now). The only difference is that I got sick of messing with carts and now use a T-tip for direct dripping. I'm careful about how much liquid I use (3 drops or so) because the 510 atty has such a small liquid reservoir. It's easy to flood it and make a mess of things.

The quality of the vape is always great, initially, but the attys also seem to lose their oomph more quickly. The majority haven't died completely but they're considerably weaker (even after blowing out, draining, wiping threads, etc)

I wonder--is it because they're running drier on the drip method or just accumulating more gunk when I feed liquid closer to the coil or what . . .?

[Note: I was trying to search for any previous discussions in the forum re: the impact of dripping on atty life. But for some reason, the search function ain't workin' for me today . . .]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread