How long do RDA coils last

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raymundo Domango

Moved On
Dec 27, 2016
I made my first set of coils 4 days ago and I can tell they have slightly gotten worse (maybe its just the cotton) but still completely useable

How long should they generally last for? Or how long should I use for until I replace them? If it matters I'm using 22 gauge kanthal wire.

Also an extra on the side question: Can the box mod you're using change the quality of your vape by a lot? Mine is ok but I think I need to upgrade

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
Personally, I've never needed to change a coil. I just like building maybe every 2 weeks? Whenever I can be bothered really. It's been that way for two years. I will rewick every week or new flavour though.
Take the cotton out, give em a dry burn, scrape any crap of with a screwdriver, rewick and you should be fine for another week.
Ps. If your using temp control you need to ask somebody else.

2) depends on your style. My suggestion wouldn't apply to tc wire so if you are using regular power mode. Not much of a difference other than overall power. You'll be changing more for aesthetics, ergonomics, battery life, back ups, variety, that sort of thing.

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2016
Tempe, Arizona, United States
I don't think I've taken a coil setup to its absolute end of life yet but I do rewick and dry burn every few days (my favorite juices tend to gunk up pretty fast). Rebuild every 2-3 weeks. Could probably get more time than that out of them.

Kprthevapr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2015
On the River, GA
Once you've been using the same setup for a while you'll become more accustomed to how each mod/RDA works best for you. Its been trial and error for a lot of us here.
I know my gear well enough that I can go about three weeks between wick changes, I only vape one flavor.
Most of the time I can tell when it's been too long between coil changes, the taste is a lil off.
When using a regulated mod, start with lower wattage and work up to a comfortable vape :)

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
I made my first set of coils 4 days ago and I can tell they have slightly gotten worse (maybe its just the cotton) but still completely useable

How long should they generally last for? Or how long should I use for until I replace them? If it matters I'm using 22 gauge kanthal wire.

Also an extra on the side question: Can the box mod you're using change the quality of your vape by a lot? Mine is ok but I think I need to upgrade

I run alien and staggered fused clapton coils on most of my RDA's/RTA's and I run said coils for months before changing. I don't change cause I need to, I change my coils cause I just feel like building. All I do is take the cotton out, dry burn them then while they are hot I have a dripper bottle of filtered water and I will quench the coils. That cleans off any "gunk" that may still be on them that the dry burn didn't get rid of.

As for wicking, I change my wicks every few days or so. I make my own juice so I have so many good flavor I like I can't vape a single flavor all day like I did before I made my own juice.

I think what your taking about when you say "it has gotten worse" is the flavor that your getting, it's time to change the wicks. Depending on what juice, the flavors and sweetener in those juices and high wattage (can burn cotton on dry hits), may be the issue that your seeing (or tasting).

As for the mod, I don't think the mod changes the quality of your vape as much as the RDA/RTA/RDTA and the coils that you are running in the devices. The mod only puts power to the RDA. That's what will change the quality of the vape.

Hope this helps you out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hightech Redneck

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2015
N C
How sweet the juice is really affects coil/cotton life as stated.
But as mentioned in another thread a while back depending on your style of vaping time for a coil is subjective.
A cloud chaser will not typically get the same time as a moderate vaper. Sometimes it is easier to say I go thru 10ml a day and get 3 days on cotton and a month on a coil. Or 30ml a day would have to change more often etc...

Jonathan Kowalczyk

Mar 22, 2017
I cannot believe RDA coils last so long, I also cannot believe I've vaped nothing but tanks for five years. I literally am so excited at my first ever RDA arriving in today's post, I've been doing a lot of temperature control vaping the last six months and while I've never built a coil in my life, I'm looking forward to learning and advancing to the point where I can make my own temperature control deck setups.

Sent from my Samsung J5(6) using Tapatalk

dangkhoa02106

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2013
VIET NAM
RDAs have a large chamber, larger than RTAs and they always have massive air slot so the cooling time will be faster that make the coil that attached on them will be last longer.
Beside when you use RDA, you will drip enough juice so your wick and your coil will not exposure to the juice in a long time.
If you want your coil more last longer, you should use non color and non sweetener juice.
My coil is perfect about a week then I dry burn it and reuse it for one more week, after that I will rebuild a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread