How long do you spend in a single sitting making juice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snicks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2013
Riverside, CA
I wonder if I’m either slow or just really slow. Lol. So today I decided was the day to setup and mix. Been putting it off and my fav juice was almost gone. I started at 130pm and was done and cleaned up at 7pm.

Made seven different 15mL mixes, and a single large batch 330mL mix of my fav.
/EDIT: I forgot that I made a single 60mL bottle as well.

I mix by weight and use an ultrasonic cleaner and lab mixer. So I figure that adds some time on. Also I was cleaning bottles and such but sheesh that was a long day.

I started wondering if others spend 5 hours mixing? I know I can mix faster but each time I end up spending way longer than planned.

At the start of the process:

628BA1D3-96BC-4E71-A98A-38758C47E7F5.jpeg

Last edited:

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I’m making basically the same juice slightly different each time. I use the same “base” flavoring and either leave it at that or add another flavor or two. I have a line on my bottle that I don’t go above with the flavorings and fill the rest with 24mg’s of 50/50 nicotine base. Having said all that it takes me about 5 minutes per session. I make 60ml’s at a time and when one goes empty I mix another with a three bottle rotation. Easy peezy, just like that.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
Once I have 30-50mls left in the jar then I mix up another. I'm a standalone blending mixer of tobaccos so some of this and that and I vape 30ml jug then blend another. The RTS TA/HS desert ship base mix gets made 200mls at a time and its in all my tobacco blends. I sit down maybe half hour tops and have a mix spinning on the mixer. My couple fruit/other flavors I like are simple...HS desert ship and the flavor....i'm not very adventurous at all anymore.

Reactions: stols001

Snicks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2013
Riverside, CA
Most of my recipes call for 4 to 6 flavors then menthol on top of those. It's the multiple recipes that keep me there for so long. I have my ADV which I make 240 to 330mL of and that alone takes maybe 30 minutes to mix. It has 4 flavors.

If I was just making that each time; I'd be done in under an hour but doing new mixes (which i always do because I enjoy trying different things) is what adds the time on. Plus I keep a log book and I'm constantly making notes, trying different mixes on my RDA (which means re-wicking each time I want to try a new flavor I made) and now that I sit back and think about it...that extra stuff I'm doing is what the problem is.

It doesn't help matters that I have to pack all my gear up and stow away in the garage. So it is a bit of a chore to set up and break down. I'd love to have a perm. mixing station.

I should just mix it all up and put it away to steep. Oh well...you all confirmed..I'm just really slow. :w00t:

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
I vape unflavored, and mix by volume. Usually mix a liter at a time.

I can literally do everything from gathering supplies to cleaning and putting it all away and have a liter ready in 15 mins. If it took me any longer than that, it would be more worthwhile to me to just buy premixed base and vape it. Considering NR has 3 and 6mg base for under $30 a gallon I may just start ordering it and leave my 100mg in the freezer for future use. 1 gallon is about an 8 month supply for me. It's almost not worth my time. Just glad I'm able and ready to mix if the FDA leaves us no alternative.

I know it would be a LOT more time consuming if I were mixing recipies, especially several flavors. Kind of makes me enjoy unflavored even more

Most of my recipes call for 4 to 6 flavors then menthol on top of those. It's the multiple recipes that keep me there for so long. I have my ADV which I make 240 to 330mL of and that alone takes maybe 30 minutes to mix. It has 4 flavors.

If I was just making that each time; I'd be done in under an hour but doing new mixes (which i always do because I enjoy trying different things) is what adds the time on. Plus I keep a log book and I'm constantly making notes, trying different mixes on my RDA (which means re-wicking each time I want to try a new flavor I made) and now that I sit back and think about it...that extra stuff I'm doing is what the problem is.

It doesn't help matters that I have to pack all my gear up and stow away in the garage. So it is a bit of a chore to set up and break down. I'd love to have a perm. mixing station.

I should just mix it all up and put it away to steep. Oh well...you all confirmed..I'm just really slow. :w00t:[/QUOTE
I have the same problem with getting all of my gear out and having to put it all away again,it is a pain in the backside but apart from that do you enjoy doing the rest of it? If you do then it doesn't matter how long it takes you. I am slow too and I probably take at least three times longer to make one bottle of juice than other people take but I enjoy doing it and also by taking your time it is less likely to make a mistake.

I have the same problem with having to get all of my gear out and then pack everything away but apart from that do you enjoy yourself when making your ejuice? If so then it doesn't matter how long you take to do it and also there is less chance of making a mistake when you take your time. I take ages just to make one bottle but I enjoy doing it and that's all that matters.

Last edited:

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
I stumbled into a single flavor mix that satisfies us, so I make our ADV batch of about 350ml in about 15 minutes.

One thing that can save time for testing out new flavors is to make a big batch of base with nic, then portion off what you need for the regular big mix. The remaining base is then ready for trying out new flavors.

I try to keep mixing as straightforward and simple as possible as I am pretty lazy and more importantly, my wife may need to mix in the future and isn't a vaping hobbyist. Keeping off the smokes is still the first priority in the long run so I keep it simple. Big batches, a couple beakers and an Absolut bottle for mixing it all up!

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I usually mix once a month-ish and usually 11 or 12 bottles of 100 ml eliquid. It takes me longer than I enjoy, but that includes sitting down and planning and looking at my flavors, and writing down the recipes I create, I rarely mix the same mix twice in a row, I'm still experimenting with a lot of new things. So, from the moment I start getting everything out of the fridge and etc., setting up, planning, and mixing.... I'd say about 4 or 5 hours. I do make some steps easier for myself by always mixing the same amount, and usually I measure out flavors and nic, but may "guestimate" a bit with some of the other ingredients, for example, I know all my finished juices are going to be the same, so I will add DW, PEG400 (a new addition) and VG, to their measured "line" on the bottle.

It's not as precise, but the way I see it is, mixing by volume AND weight is going to include a certain amount of lack of precision, and I doubt my method is much worse. If I were to pipette EVERYTHING, that would probably take a lot longer, so usually somewhere in the heat of measuring, I kind of go "F it" and start getting out my ruler and marking the bottles. Haven't had my head blown off by nicotine, nor do I see a huge drop in precision as far as flavoring. But, I've been at this a while, so it's something I'm comfortable with. I know others who use this method, but really, using the method that is best for you will give you the best outcome.

Whatever method you use, I'd imagine things should start speeding up as you "familiarize" yourself with the process, and etc. But yeah, planning, labeling and writing everything down usually take me longer than the actual mixing part. It consumes most of an afternoon when all is said and done. The annoying thing is the gloves and etc., I don't usually stop for vaping breaks, so I'll usually eat a drop of e-liquid here and there....

Best of luck,

Anna

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
I tend to mix a lot at once, and between finding the stuff I need in my highly unorganized drawer full of flavorings and mixing, I'll spend 1-2 hours on a few big batches of juice. There is no cleanup for me as I mix by weight, and there is no ultrasonic unless I need to clean an atty.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I tend to mix a lot at once, and between finding the stuff I need in my highly unorganized drawer full of flavorings and mixing, I'll spend 1-2 hours on a few big batches of juice. There is no cleanup for me as I mix by weight, and there is no ultrasonic unless I need to clean an atty.
That's it then...I'm putting all my diy stuff in a messy drawer.:thumb:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I wonder if I’m either slow or just really slow. Lol. So today I decided was the day to setup and mix. Been putting it off and my fav juice was almost gone. I started at 130pm and was done and cleaned up at 7pm.

Made seven different 15mL mixes, and a single large batch 330mL mix of my fav.

I mix by weight and use an ultrasonic cleaner and lab mixer. So I figure that adds some time on. Also I was cleaning bottles and such but sheesh that was a long day.

I started wondering if others spend 5 hours mixing? I know I can mix faster but each time I end up spending way longer than planned.

At the start of the process:

View attachment 731717

I don't Mix nearly as much as I used to.

But when I do, I Don't like to Rush things. And enjoy taking my time. I like to put on some Good Jazz like Tom Scott or David Sanborn and just kinda Unwind while I Mix.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
@Frenchfry1942
Everything. Setting up, mixing, cleaning everything and putting gear away.
I think you time spent is about right. I mix by volume 50-60 flavors and take a few hours longer. Clean up and measurement by syringe is super fast, the set up/repack, labeling, record keeping are the real time killers.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
I usually mix 3 or 4 x 100 - 200 ml bottles per mix session, by weight, every 1 or 2 months. I get my materials out (flavors are in a fridge so they have to come up to room temp) and organized by recipe, mix the ingredients, use a battery powered badger paint mixer for 30 - 60 seconds per bottle, then toss em in the steep cabinet and put my flavors back into the fridge. I never really timed myself but I doubt it takes me much more than an hour for mixing and maybe 30 minutes total for organizing and cleanup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread