The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

How long does eLiquid last

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by Vaperer, Aug 6, 2019.

Tags:
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Vaperer

Vaperer Super Member ECF Veteran

Dec 10, 2017
    I have some e-juice that's one year old. Do you think it's still any good. Or should I discard it. It doesn't taste strange or anything. But it is past its expiration date. So is it any good? Thank you in advance for your considerations

• Like Like x 3
  2. SupplyDaddy

SupplyDaddy I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles! Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Oct 21, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    It's fine!
    As long as it looks and smells, as well as tastes good, it's good!

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  3. bombastinator

bombastinator ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    There is some variance depending on how it was stored. Nicotine degrades in the presence of heat and light. When it does so though there is a distinct smell and color change. It will turn dark and smell like an ash tray.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    Deer Camp
    There's also interactions between nicotine and flavorings that are hard to predict. I've had some liquids get dark and foul in a year or so, while others mixed by the same shop lasted much longer.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  5. madstabber

madstabber Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

As long as it tastes fine you’re good. I can’t imagine any serious negative outcome from vaping old juice. It will just taste foul and possibly lose some of the nicotine kick but then you wouldn’t vape it. So if it taste fine and satisfies your nicotine craving you’re good to go. If it don’t, toss it

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. DeloresRose

DeloresRose Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    I don’t think I’ve had any go bad in a year. But I keep mine in a cabinet away from the light and heat, and I diy so I know how old they are. I pitched one that looked and smelled funky, it was about 4 years old. Don’t have anything that aged right now.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Vaperer

Vaperer Super Member ECF Veteran

Dec 10, 2017
    It's definitely darker. But I guess it'll work

• Like Like x 3
  8. madstabber

madstabber Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Yea nicotine will get darker with age when kept at room temperature. Frozen it holds up much better and doesn’t darken at all after years. Anyway I’ve noticed no difference in taste or strength from juice that has darken due to oxidation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    If it tastes okay and you aren't getting any horrible symptoms from it, it is probably fine.

I put all my "for a rainy day" mixes in a box and store in the closet. Every now and then, I pull one out to try and they are not oxidized and some of them are pretty old.

I put all my "current" juices in shoeboxes, more in case the kid's dog wanted to try and eat them, but I like them there, actually. It looks a lot less messy in here and etc. And it's probably better for the juice.

I am vaping a juice that has GOT to be 16--18 months old at least, no color change SOME flavor change but it's in the right direction. It was some sort of pink lemonade and I don't like lemon much and found it disgusting initially. Apparently, I just need to steep citruses for about a year. LOL.

Anna

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Susaz

Susaz Vaping Master ECF Veteran

I keep eliquid in use in normal room temp, the bases in the fridge and the already mixed flavors in a dark cabinet. I've been vaping very long and 2 years is the top mark. I discard ejuice after that. Commercial eliquid I write the month/year of reception.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  11. vapdivrr

vapdivrr ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    I buy my juices in 100ml bottles and buy multiple bottles and because 100 mls last me 6 weeks, I just take out a little and store all my juices in the fridge....up to last year I never did that and kept all juices just out. I still have juices that I kept out that are years old and still good, even have one that's from 2013 and still looks and smells good, but then a certain juice can go kind of off in like a year

• Like Like x 4
  12. ninfreak

ninfreak Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 18, 2011
    burkesville, kentucky
    Man I wish 100 mls lasted me 6 weeks, I'm lucky if that lasts me 3 days

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    Deer Camp
    It's not just the nicotine.

I can leave unflavored, vaping strength liquid out in a clear bottle for a month and it will show no visible change. But if I add a few percent of a few flavorings to it, flavorings that are as colorless as water, that liquid will start to darken within a few days. If I add those same flavorings to a zero-nic mixture of PG and VG, the zero-nic liquid will also stay as colorless as water.

Thus I'm quite confident it's an interaction between the flavorings and the nicotine.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  14. icepickmaker84

icepickmaker84 Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2019
    Indiana
    I just Vaped some 11 month old Pear Nektr. Kept it in a dark container and it tasted just as good as fresh juice. When I first got into vaping I heard to keep juice in a cool/dark spot, I’ve stuck with it and gotten great results.

• Like Like x 2
  15. JCinFLA

JCinFLA Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 21, 2015
    The only negative change I've ever noticed in old eliquid...was in some commercial eliquid bought before I started DIY. It was at least a year old, kept in a cool dark place, and because of the high total flavoring % in it, it had a definite "soapy" taste. It definitely got poured down the drain.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Flavored

Flavored Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 11, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    I have juices from 2015 in those amber colored bottles, still sealed and kept in a shoe box @ room temperature. When opened, it's as if they came right out of the mail box from the supplier, still delicious, a light amber color, etc. Really.

• Like Like x 2
  17. vaper1960

vaper1960 Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    I have a custard that's like vanilla. brown sugar and bourbon that has been sitting for months. Out of the light, but in a very warm place. It lost the better flavors and turned very dark... oxidized the nicotine for sure. Think I will toss it. It also seems thicker, but I didn't know about shaking bottles so may have separated VG/PG.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. daillewe

daillewe Senior Member ECF Veteran

I am currently using a 3 year od bottle of a random brand heisenberg liquid - it was pale blue when i got it and its still pale blue now. If im honest it tastes better now than it did when i first had it! Alternatively ive got a bottle of 100% organic 100% vg lemon drizzle cake liquid, i didnt particularly like it when i got it 3 years ago and im actually refusing to touch it now - its gone a dark brown almost treacle colour and smells very floral.....i should probably throw it out really, but it serves as a reminder to keep an eye on my old liquids

• Like Like x 2
  19. daillewe

Can't seem to find the lovely sky blue heisenberg liquid, but this is the lemon drizzle cake..... Just noticed the expiry date of March 2018 lol
    15651400543121193492576882259524.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  20. daillewe

Found it! The expiry date on this one is 07/2018
    15651405394272341227513600083918.jpg

• Like Like x 2