How long does this Tank last?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgm82

Jul 11, 2011
Texas
The thread I had going about tanks was closed, but I have a follow up question...somebody recommended this tank/carto combo as a good fit for my Riva:

eGo 510 Dual Coil Tank Cartomizer, 2.5ml

My question is, how long does it last? I typically get about a week or so out of a regular carto before it starts to get funky and kind of weak, does this unit last longer? If not it doesn't seem worth it for $13...

the_vape_nerd

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Orleans, LA
I'm sort of in the same boat with you here.

I don't recommend this set up for you because despite it saying 1.6 ohm, it's really a 3 ohm resistance. That's fine if you have a high voltage set up or a VV device but on a Riva the performance won't be that great.

To answer your question here though, the tank should theoretically last forever. All it does is hold the juice. So with proper care and cleaning it will have a long life. That being said, sooner or later the o-rings or plastic caps altogether will need replacing. What you will need to replace is the cartomizer that goes in the middle. Those are about 2 bucks each. You can sometimes get them a bit cheaper depending on brand, supplier, etc.

People have recommended to me that if I want to use a tank on a 3.7 v device, to go with a single coil carto of a resistance lower than 2ohm. This ups the wattage and produces a much better quality vape. Or so I'm told. I'm waiting to try it out.

rgm82

Jul 11, 2011
Texas
...I'm still really confused about the resistance and voltage thing...it turns out I've been using LR cartos for the past year without really knowing the difference. How many Ohms are the LR cartos? The vendor I usually get them from has been out of the LR cartos for a long time, so I went ahead and order the 2.7 Ohm cartos because that was all they had...how is that going to affect vaping with my Riva? Too much resistance? Too little? Is it safe? According to the website I got it from the voltage of my Riva is 3.3-4.2...how does that relate to the resistance level?

the_vape_nerd

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Orleans, LA
2.7ohm isnt optimal but its not going to totally suck

theres a tutorial on here somewhere about wattage...someone will come along and point you to that as my searching skills are bad but i think in essence what you want is about 1.6-2.0ohm and that is what is know as LR, it produces more vapor and its warmer though it drains batteries more quickly and some say it shortens long term life of the battery

i'm kind of new to the whole idea myself but LR cartomizers are easy to find...if you are meaning mad vapes, the reason i dont buy from them is that they are always out of stock on most everything

check hoosier e-cig supplies, pure smoker also has some

Algernon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2010
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
www.flickr.com
I won't touch the DCT tanks with a 39 and 1/2ft pole anymore. I suggest getting a decent solid-built tank like the J-tank, Fuel-tank, the Big Daddy tanks, Phiniac tank or the Siam-Mod tanks. I use 801 fusion cartomizers in a standard Phiniac tank and I always, always insert my new carto open-end first because of the 801 bevel and I have yet to cut or damage an o-ring.

mynameisrob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
PH-Illadelph-IA, PA
Your riva starts at 3.7V on a full charge and slowly drops as the battery drains.

LR is generally considered 2.0ohm and below. Low resistance cartos produce a warmer vape with more TH. The lower the ohm, the warmer the vape will be. So while a 1.5ohm and 2.0ohm carto are both considered LR, the 1.5ohm will produce warmer vapor than the 2.0ohm.
Standard resistance is generally about 2.5ohm-3.0ohm. SR cartos will produce a cooler vape. The 2.7ohm cartos will work fine on your Riva, but it will be a cooler vape and won't have as much of a "kick" compared to the LR cartos you use.
Most people prefer LR cartos over SR, and LRs were made to simulate higher voltage vaping.

The Smoktech tanks do work well and they are cheap which is nice. If yOur going to get one though, I would get just the regular Smoktech tank and not the eGo tank that you posted a link to. Their basically the same thing, but the eGo one is fairly new and has a different base. Basically the eGo one was made so you'll have a streamlined look when it's used on an eGo. Problem is though, the eGo one will only fit on a device that has eGo threading. So if you ever get another PV that doesn't have eGo threading, that tank won't fit unless you use an eGo adapter. Also the eGo tanks don't use the same flanged cartos that the regular 3.5ml and 6ml Smoktech tanks use. So if you want pre-punched cartos, youll have to get the pre-punched cartos for the eGo tank, and as far as I know, not many vendors have them. Madvapes is the only vendor I know that has the eGo Smoktech tanks and the eGo Smoktech pre-punched cartos.
The regular Smoktech tanks work great and can be used on any device that has 510 threading. I have a few of the 3.5ml tanks that I use on my EGo-twist and I also have one of the newer 4.5ml tanks that I use on my SS mini v-tube and I really like them.
For the regular Smoktech tanks there is a variety of different ohm pre-punched cartos you could use, or you can just use any XL cartos and punch them yourself. The XL Boge cartos fit in the Smoktech tanks fine, but you just have to punch the hole Reply . Reply With Quote . . Blog this Post . .. .yourself. Also a lot of vendors carry the regular Smoktech tanks and the pre-punched replacement cartos, so you'd have your choice of where to buy them from, unlike if you got the eGo Smoktech tanks since so few vendors carry them.
Like mentioned above, they do come with a 1.5ohm dual coil pre-punched carto, which really don't work very well on lower voltage devices like an eGo/riva. You can buy single coil pre-punched cartos though is a variety of different ohms that will work a lot better on your Riva.

If I were you I would get a regular 3.5ml Smoktech tank and then also buy some of the 1.7ohm single coil pre-punched cartos. The 3.5ml tanks look very nice on eGo/riva sized PVs, and the 1.7ohm cartos work great and are very popular.
Crystal Clear Vaping sells the 1.7ohm single coil pre-punched cartos (also called the Ressurectors) for a good price and they have free shipping. Many other vendors sell the Smoktech tanks and the pre-punched cartos for them so you can get them from wherever you like.
And if you want to have a streamlined look with the regular Smoktech tank, you can get a 3.5ml DCT cone for a few bucks and that will basically give you the same look as the eGo Smoktech tank would

atomizer mizer

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2011
USofA, Alabama
I made an excel chart that displays the combinations of atty's and batteries for a desired wattage. The higher the wattage the more vapor and warmth the draw is. It may take a little time to understand it but hopefully I put enough information on the post so most can follow it. Just remember MIN p and Max p is the same as wattage(p=power). Any questions dont hesitate to ask. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/tutorials/260292-selecting-cartomizers-match-your-battery-temperature-preferences-excel.html#post5087865

...I'm still really confused about the resistance and voltage thing...it turns out I've been using LR cartos for the past year without really knowing the difference. How many Ohms are the LR cartos? The vendor I usually get them from has been out of the LR cartos for a long time, so I went ahead and order the 2.7 Ohm cartos because that was all they had...how is that going to affect vaping with my Riva? Too much resistance? Too little? Is it safe? According to the website I got it from the voltage of my Riva is 3.3-4.2...how does that relate to the resistance level?

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
As others have already mentioned, the tanks themselves will last with care and even the o-rings should have a good life span. The cartomizer that's used in the tank is the "consumable" part of the setup and there are quite a few options in the Smoktech XL tank carto lineup so you can find the one that works best for you. I've just started using the resurrector single coil cartos @ 1.7ohm in my tanks on my 3.7v PV and they seem to work very well.

As for the tank, you have a couple of options. You can get the one that fits the eGo connection directly and then get an adapter when you need to used it on a 510 device, or you can get a 510 connection and a cone for a finished look on your PV. I have a 510 3.5ml tank with the cone (to cover the eGo threads) on mine and it's working great.

To use the eGo tank you listed on a 510 battery (should you get one eventually), you'll need a 510 to eGo adapter:
510 Battery to eGo Atomizer Adapter

For an alternate tank, check out the Smoktech 510 connected tanks:
Dual Coil 510 Chrome Tank - 3.5ml - Blue

If you get a 510 connected tank, a cone will make the setup look more finished:
eGo Chrome Cone for the 3.5 mL Dual Coil Tank Cartromizer

And finally, these are the cartos I mentioned:
Crystal Clear Vaping

TravTech

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2012
PA
These Ego DCT's actually work great on the new Ego Twist batteries, and of course they're designed to fit the Ego batts seamlessly. In fact Pbussardo recommends low (1.5 - 1.7) ohm dual coil cartos in his Ego Twist review.

The cartos inside the tank are no different than the a standard carto. So depending on the juice you use and your vaping habits, the time it lasts should be no different.

Bear in mind, for the price, you're keeping the tank and only replacing the internal carto when it's no longer operational. But they can be cleaned an re-used like any other carto.

Since the product is pretty new, the price is still a little "up there". Same for the "direct replacement" cartos some offer just for this tank. However, you can punch a regular flange-less 1.7ohm dual coil carto and use as a replacement for a good deal less.

The direct replacement cartos have a smaller flange than say a pre-punched Smoktek resurrector and the latter will not go all the way up inside the Ego cone on this tank. Otherwise they fit and do work, you just end up with a small gap between the cone and the Ego battery.

Hope this helps.

Oh and just for giggles this morning I put one of these tanks on one of the tiny little "screwdriver" batteries (with an adapter). It actually vapes pretty well. But with it being an unregulated, non-boosted 3.7v device, I expect the vape quality will decline over the length of the charge. But that's to be expected from any tank / carto / atty when it's put on an unregulated, non-boosted device.

Last edited:

xdunlapx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2010
Ohio, USA
How long does a carto last that is dual coil? I just bought a mod and will be using a tank on it(my first mod ever, let alone using tanks), and I need to know how and where to buy the cartomizers that go with the tanks and how long they last. My V4L cartos (blanks i fill up) last usually about a week before tasting nasty. Thoug the vapor drops off after day 3 or 4 and is barely there at day 7. I'm a heavy vaper. Is it cost-effective to use a tank design?

super dave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2012
1 Mile High
How long does a carto last that is dual coil? I just bought a mod and will be using a tank on it(my first mod ever, let alone using tanks), and I need to know how and where to buy the cartomizers that go with the tanks and how long they last. My V4L cartos (blanks i fill up) last usually about a week before tasting nasty. Thoug the vapor drops off after day 3 or 4 and is barely there at day 7. I'm a heavy vaper. Is it cost-effective to use a tank design?
If I was you I'd go with a vivi nova 2.5 tank because I've found that carto's don't last and not good taste. The vivi kit comes with 3 replacable atty type coil and wick heads and you can fill the tank from a bottle by unscrewing the top(no mess) and the taste is great. I have been using mine for over a month and all works great with just a little rinsing of the heads once in a while. The kit is the best I've ever found for me. Check it out at got vapes

Adam the Aussie

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2011
Australia
Had these for a week now, going through carts though do to burnt taste. What is best way to prime these. Using on 3.7v kgos

Sounds like the juice isn't feeding into the tank quickly enough. With priming the carto just fill it up like you normally would. Whether you do this before or after you put the carto in the tank doesn't really matter. Sometimes when i use a thin juice, i have to do the occassional blank draw (draw without pressing the button) to keep my carto wet. When you do this make sure you can see bubbles coming out of the carto hole. It takes a bit of practice with the tanks, but once you get the hang of it you'll be golden.

Adam the Aussie

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2011
Australia

My experience has been i get a lot longer from a single coil cartomizer compared to a dual coil. I use the SmokTech 1.7ohm single coil cartos in my tanks and they usually last 10-14 days, every dual coil i've used is done in about 7.

SunRam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2012
South Africa
My experience has been i get a lot longer from a single coil cartomizer compared to a dual coil. I use the SmokTech 1.7ohm single coil cartos in my tanks and they usually last 10-14 days, every dual coil i've used is done in about 7.

I started with the DCT 3 weeks ago. Using the dual coil Smoktech 1.5ohm flanged, pre-drilled cartos. I vape 70/30 vg/pg and therefore I enlarge the predrilled hole, and punch another on opposite it. No leaking this way, awesome vape. My first dc carto lasted only 3 days, but the second one has been going strong for over a week now, still giving the same great taste as when it was new. I also ordered some single coil resurrectors (1.7 ohm mega Smoktech single coils) to try, still waiting on those. My experience is that the cartos will last a couple days extra with the tank system, compared to a carto on its own. YMMV
This far I'm very impressed with the DCT, and wont switch back to straight cartos!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread