How Long Will The Depression Last

Status
Not open for further replies.

wood duck

Feb 15, 2011
Australia
Hi All

I was wondering if anyone else got depressed when they changed from smoking to vaping .

I realize that this may be caused by a dependence on something other than nicotine in the smoke I am missing but I would love to know how long it generally lasts for as I am soon going to kik the last couple of analogues .

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Vapor Pete

The Vapor Pope
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2009
Rochester, NY
Hmmm.....

Never got depressed when I switched 2 years ago. If anything, I was elated! Giving up that crap in tobacco smoke, and going to clean, cool vapor. I might suggest that you take a personal inventory, and see if there isnt maybe something else going on in your life that could be contributing to this feeling of yours. I havent heard of anyone else getting depressed? Maybe others can shed some more light on this for you, but Im not familliar with it.

Hope you get passed it :toast:

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
It varies as I understand it. Some get hardly any (they are so happy to find e-cigs) and others have more dependence on the MAOI effects from tobacco. I had some, and it lasted about 2 weeks.

There are other things you can do, if you happen to battle depression, like talking to your doctor 1st (this is for others reading the post too). Some find that dark chocolate helps them (or so it's been posted).

Others claim Swedish Snus is a good option if they can't quit tobacco completely.

Good Luck kicking the stinkies to the curb.

LibertariaNate

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2011
Utah
I became depressed after I gave up the analogs. It wasn't getting better on its own and I wanted to completely end my reliance on tobacco so after the second week I started taking St. Johns Wort and vitamin d. Things have improved, but even after 8 weeks being analog free and 6 weeks of taking the supplements there are still days I just feel "off".

FWIW, I was never depressed before I quit smoking.

wood duck

Feb 15, 2011
Australia
I was more depressed when I tried to quit smoking using Zyban! I has some fatigue and maybe some mild depression when I first switched over to vaping, but it went away after a week or so. Going for walks really seemed to help.

I can see how some light exercise would help as it does generally for almost any ailment .
Good advice.

NicLiq

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
nicliq.blogspot.com
I had problems, but my husband didn't. I feel like it lifted for me at 8 weeks.

Looking back, my biggest problem was carbon monoxide withdrawal, but I wasn't realizing it while it was happening to me. While switching was relatively easy for me, especially compared to the hell I had went through trying to quit before, I know that I will never go back to smoking or even chance trying a cigarette because I can't go through this again. I'm 46 and I think I pushed the smoking as long I could.

I hope you feel better soon!

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
Thinking back, I do think I suffered from some depression. Other things were going on at the time that I started vaping and I couldn't go to the gym so I blamed it on not working out. But it did go away after about a month so I do think it was from stopping the cigs. Or it could have been a combo of both - cig and zumba withdraw.

Feel great now though!

Raynen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2010
CT
gamingraynen.blogspot.com
I really wish I could answer this, but I can't truthfully answer this.

When I decided to quit analogs, at first it was great, but I was already kinda screwy from my last seizure and the seizure meds that I stopped taking. Afterward, I got a seizure about four months later, in February. I was definitely depressed at that point, but I got over it and the meds I'm currently taking that I started back then have me actually quite mellow and good feeling. Now, I don't really suffer from depression. I can't tell you if my depression was JUST from quitting, or JUST from the seizures, but I can guarantee that the mix of meds, switching from analogs to vaping, and seizures will certainly cause depression... so I guess I can kinda say yes? I hope your troubling time passes, vaping is a great way to change into a new way of life.

MG1963

Dec 12, 2010
Tampa, FL
I started vaping part-time back in January and it took me several months to find the right juices and the right equipment. I finally quit smoking on June 2nd. I think days 15-25 were the most difficult for me, I was feeling quite depressed and definitely felt withdrawal from something in the cigarettes. In addition to vaping I also used the nicotine lozenges for those 10 days which seemed to help. Now, I'm vaping only and doing much better. It seems to be getting easier every day. So glad I never caved! Best of luck to you. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread