How Many Wasted Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Telynau

ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2010
Occoquan, NoVa
I have been thinking about this a lot recently. I have always been mindful about smoking and knew I consumed 15-20 a day. Or 10 when I was being judicious. Or five (5) when trying to be extremely conscious. Or two or three packs a day. Perhaps four packs a day.

I used to smoke a lot. I'd light one, take two or three puffs, sit it in the ashtray. It would burn out. I'd light another one, take two or three puffs, sit it in the ashtray. It would burn out. I'd light another one... Chain-smoking. This included a time when one could smoke at work, at a restaurant, on the train, on an airplane... Sam, I do not like green eggs and ham...

Then came a time when smoking was banned. I'd go outside, light one take two or three puffs, snuff it out in an ashtray. An hour (or less) go outside, light one, take two or three puffs, snuff it out. Sam I do not like them, Sam I Am!

Telynau

ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2010
Occoquan, NoVa
Please make this site iPod friendly for scrolling on advanced =}.

Can you imagine?!? I was smoking two, three, four packs of cigarettes a day. Or was I? Really? Was I truly smoking as much as I believed?

I was not being mindful on how many cigarettes I truly consumed. I had no idea how much (or little) phytochemicles I used.

With vaping, I am much more aware, in the moment, of what I am doing. Yes, I had become more aware of my smoking habits prior to converting. And became aware of my habit of taking two or three puffs before snuffing a cigarette out or letting it burn out.

Have any of you become more aware of your vaping habits? Have you compared it to your cigarette smoking habits? I'm curious. Please indulge me =}.

Dmortal

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2010
holland, mi
There were a number of times while drinking, playing Everquest, playing WoW or whatever I'd set a smoke in the ashtray and it would burn away. Then they put something in there and the things would go out on me at times. I can also remember putting one in my mouth at the computer and never taking it away til it was gone. Nasty ashes everywhere!
My eCig is so much cleaner and always ready to puff at the push of a button!

Telynau

ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2010
Occoquan, NoVa
Aye, something all ways would interrupt a perfectly good moment with a cigarette. LOL. Familial obligations. Gainful obligations. Obligations! There are now, true and true, few moments to sit quietly and have a smoke. in all of its glorious quietude and (sometimes) blessed solitude. Social smoking was totally different. We could share a smoke with other like minded people. Some intriguing conversations developed over a smoke.

And, how many times did we take a puff or two and let the cigi burn out; either from distraction or disinterest...

Did we really smoke two, three, four packs a day, as we experienced? Or did we really smoke 5-10-15-20 cigarettes in total? I'm truly curious, from my own experiences. I know I truly smoked a lot fewer cigarettes than the empty packs suggested. I spent some time observing, as a bystander, my own habits. And those of some very special people in my life =}.

Telynau

ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2010
Occoquan, NoVa
JFizzleSizzle, this is why vaping is so nice. We can find a combo of nic/vape/flavour to satisfy.

Then there is the psychological need. There was a time when people gathered around a communal pipe or bowl. Ardugh! I wish I had a way to explain how smoking, a long time gone, was experienced.

Then there became a time when smoking just "was". There was no mindfulness to it. We smoked. Here, there, everywhere. A puff or two or three.

Vaping/e-cigs are changing this. We are becoming aware. Please help me out explaining =}. There was a ritual, an experience, a social component to smoking. I'm beginning to hear it in vaping, too. "Mind if I vape? Would you like a vape? May I offer you a vape? Here, try one of mine. This flavour is divine, may I offer you a few drips?"

atom48

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2009
Colorado
I had the opposite problem. If I couldnt finish my smoke to the filter I never felt satisfied and the cravings came quick. Thank god I found these e cigs.

My experience, too. My co-workers would be putting out half-finished cigs and I'd say, "I'll be in as soon as I finish this." Knew I would feel as if I hadn't smoked at all if I didn't finish the whole thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread