The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

How much 3 mg e-liquid equals a pack of cigarettes

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by Misacek01, Mar 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Misacek01

Misacek01 Full Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Thanks. Well, that sounds complex. I'm sure I could handle Ohm's law (current is voltage over resistance; I'm fairly sure I don't need Kirchhoff's reformulation in terms of current density, field strength, and conductivity, nor the quantum electrodynamic fundamental explanation involving wavelength vs lattice spacing etc.), but if battery safety is such a critical concern even without the uncontrolled variables of DIY cores, then I guess it might not be an ideal way to go.

My ability to understand the theory aside, I've never built electrical technology, and have no experience at it. I also wouldn't trust myself to perform the delicate manual tasks involved in DIY core building well enough to avoid defects if a defect can mean a battery explosion. Hence, the pre-built atty.

I had assumed that the Tricktank is simply compatible with the Pro Mech, as promotional pictures (manufacturer's website) show these mods with Tricktanks attached, and they do come from the same manufacturer, one which makes precious few other devices the tank might be intended for instead. On the other hand, a review I found online says the pin on the tank is not adjustable and not very long...

I'd also assumed that the firing button on a mech can be locked to prevent it firing in your pocket etc. Is that not the case? It would seem easy to implement something like a mechanical twist lock, latch, etc., and given how important the battery safety issue apparently is on mechs, it seems strange if that's not the case. I realize there's a certain element of I-can-do-it-myself pride in building and using a mech, but surely, there can be at least minimal safety features?

I'm not saying I have to buy from Vgod specifically (and I do realize they're more expensive than most others); but I've only looked at a few brands, and there's a lot out there, so right now my understanding of the market is somewhat limited. Still, from the Vgod site I did look at, their Pro 150 box mod doesn't seem too bad for a two-battery device.

I particularly like the fairly sober look (I'm not much for flashy designs; I prefer simple lines and a clean look, ideally in black or shades of gray for electronics), and that at least its shortest dimension is small (24 mm they say, which I guess is about as little as can fit an 18650 battery). The other two dimensions are, in fact, smaller than the metal cigarette case I usually carry (about 100 x 80 mm the case vs 77 x 56 mm the box), so I guess even with another ~35 mm of an RDTA attached, it's still technically "pocket size" (since the RDTA only covers a fraction of the box's depth dimension).

So the only issue is the weight. The manufacturer doesn't mention it, but how much can a two-battery compact box like this weigh? 250 g including the pair of batteries and atomizer, maybe?

Thx again, Mike

• Like Like x 1
  2. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Even pre-built coils need to be measured for resistance. They are no "safer" than a home made coil. You can never assume they are what they claim to be.

And you still have to follow Ohm's Law even if you are using pre-built coils. If the amp draw of the coil is higher than the amp rating of the battery you are using, then that is misuse/abuse of the battery.

Manageable. ;)
    Pro 150 box mod:
    • Dimensions: 77mm height, by 56mm width, by 24mm depth
    [​IMG]
    You'll be surprised of the number of mech mods that do not have a locking fire button (the VGod has not, it has a flush mounted non-locking fire button -- dangerous for a pocket), properly situated vent holes (the VGod does have vent holes), a non-conductive sleeve for the battery recepticle (VGod has that), or a safety fuse (the VGod has none).

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Ralph_K

Ralph_K Senior Member

Jan 1, 2018
    12mg of nicotine for full flavored pack of cigarettes is inaccurate. A full flavor cigarette is usually about 1.0 mg of nicotine. Marlbroro is on the low side with .8 or 16mg per a pack. I usually vape 3mg now and go through 2 sets of 3,000 MaH batteries a day. One set lasts me 8hrs

4. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    IDK. Everyone's different. I kind of don't thing that more than the vaguest guidelines (within ranges) should be applied, honestly. It's.... Your body is going to react differently to vaping than smoking. A lot of folks chain vape in the beginning, or keep a tank of super high nicotine for stressful times. I think just taking a sort of "guideline" for number of cigarettes smoked and MTL vs DL etc., and going from there is your best bet.

I mean, obviously, don't overdo it, and start on the low side of things, but there isn't really a way to find the "right" nicotine level immediately a certain amount of experimentation should take place. I was sub0hming when I got here on 12 m.g. of nicotine it was WAY too much, even as a 3 ppd smoker. I kind of went to 16 m.g. MTL, and wound up "landing" on 18 which works for my current situation. If I were in a work situation where I only got periodic breaks or something, I might want a higher nicotine setup.... That day will come for me, I'm just not sure when.

But, everyone's needs are different. The husband smoked probably a half pack a day. He's at around 16 m.g. in a MTL tank, but he doesn't vape as frequently as I do. So it's just this very variable thing. I have a fiendish hand to mouth issue, (since birth it sometimes seems). Chain vaping is a part of my life, and I Do.Not.Care. etc.

Anna

• Like Like x 1
  5. NealBJr

NealBJr Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jul 27, 2013
    Lawrenceville, Ga.
    I highly recommend getting a regulated mod over a mechanical mod. With mechanical mods, there is very little safety measures. I have tried that route, and although it's "neat" to do, it's limiting and dangerous to use. Mech mods became popular back in the beginning of Ecig days because back then, it was the only way to get higher wattages. Now a days, they have regulated mods that can push the boundries of many batteries, and have safety measures put in. Even if you're safe, and know what you're doing, you're only human, and one accident can go very bad with a mechanical mod.

I still recommend a dual battery (or higher) mod, especially for .2 ohms. If I run 4.2 volts (the average voltage most people vape at) with a .2 ohm coil through Ohms Law Calculator, I get 21 amps and 88 watts. That's pretty much the max on the single battery mods. You'll have to make sure you run safe batteries, and even then, you're running that battery at max output. Your battery life will be not so good, and it will diminish the lifespan of the battery. If you run a dual battery mod, that 21 amps will be split between two batteries, so you'll be running each battery at 10 amps... which is a much more respectable level. If I had to rough guess, I'd say you'd get three times the battery life out of a dual battery mod compared to a single battery mod.

If you wish to get a rough idea of what goes on, and what is needed, I highly suggest a bit of reading. There is a guy named Mooch that does actual testing of batteries to determine which ones are safe. His blog is HERE. then go to Ohms Law Calculator and punch in the voltage and ohms you like. A freshly charged battery is about 4.2 volts, and many vapers prefer to vape at that level. Look at mooch's battery list and see what the maximum amperage discharge the batteries are, and what MaH they can take. You'll start to see the limitations there, and give you a rough idea of why I recommend 2 batteries over a single.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. NealBJr

NealBJr Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jul 27, 2013
    Lawrenceville, Ga.
    Yes, there are several mech mods that use a twist type locking device, but even those are prone to mix ups. Let me share one experience I had with them.

I have about 2-3 mech mods. one is an Origen clone, and the other is a Caravela Clone. Both were well made, and they both have twist locks with them. I prefer the Caravela simply because it had a smaller form factor, so I decided to take my Caravela on a trip. Since the Caravela was easy to lock and unlock, it was the mod I used while driving. I built a .7 ohm coil in my Fogger atomizer, and ran Sony VTC3 (30 amp) battery. Everything was well within safety limits, and I made sure I locked it every time I put it in the cupholder. while driving through a town, We came to a park, and decided to stop off and get something to eat at the park. When I reached down to grab my mod, it was blazingly hot. I had to pickup the mod with a paper towel it was so hot. I can only guess that it was not locked (maybe due to the car vibrating?) But, it was probably going of for probably 30 minutes straight. Heat of the battery + heat of the coils made the mod super hot. It was enough to split the heat shrink of the battery. That got me thinking what would've happened if I didn't take every precaution I did... things could have ended up worse. I went back to my regulated device after that.

So, I've learned that Mechanicals, even though small, aren't necessarily the best choice... accidents do happen. They're still fun to use, but I wouldn't use them as a main device. With regulated mods, they have an inherently safe setup. To my knowlege, all of them have an amp limit (usually 20 amp), and a shutoff timer of 10-15 seconds. Combined with a safe 20amp battery, they're much safer. I still try not to go higher than half the battery's amp limit to keep things one notch higher on the "safety stick" I've yet to have any saefty problems besides that incident above.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Letitia

Letitia Therion/Nano Junkie ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    The Jac Series B is an elegant classy mod that would suit your style and keep you safe. Paired with the right tank/coil will last you a full day. An attractive smaller regulated dual battery device is the Think Vape Exus Ark. Have had mine a year or so now and very pleased with my purchase. The Eleaf Invoke is a very small lightweight device that is well thought of as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  8. Sugar_and_Spice

Sugar_and_Spice ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    My vote is for the Eleaf Invoke. Even tho it is dual 18650 batteries, it is very light weight.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Letitia

Letitia Therion/Nano Junkie ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Not my style but seems to be a great little mod. I'm a leather and silver lover myself, hence the Ark. Lighter and smaller than the Therions. Nice out and about mod when a lot of walking is required. I don't like to carry a purse when walking about. Ark and a 15-30ml unicorn fit nicely in the back pocket of my jeans or a phone holder.

• Like Like x 2
  10. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Well, the good news is you have tons of options other than a mech. I still (although I don't have a jac-b and I hear they are awesome) would probably stick with the original Invoke. I love that sucker. It's never leaving my daily rotation.

Anna

• Like Like x 2
  11. Alter

Alter Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 2, 2013
    BC Canada
    IMO... it really doesn't matter what mod, hitter or mech your using. Its the atty or delivery system and if your totally utilizing it. If your getting headaches its too much nic, coddling the atty like a tit then not enough nic. You have to find that balance to enjoy vaping. Rebuilding provides a much better quality vape than factory heads so you have to have the nic level that satisfies but not over power the body. Learning not to inhale those cloudz hits also helps since the mouth absorbs not as good as lungs but still gets nic into the body. Many factors determine your nic strength to be happy vaper so nothing can be written in stone to determine your nic level...just trial and error.
    The amount of nic in vaping vs smoking is all assumptions that has to be taken with a grain of salt that in my case my body told me very quickly and efficiently whether I had too much or not enough nic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. BrotherBob

BrotherBob ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Welcome and glad you joined.
    Might want to read:
    Stealth Vaping Techniques | Stealth Vape At Work | ELiquid & Mods
    Best Mini & Nano Box Mods
    Batterie safety help

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. suprtrkr

suprtrkr ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Hi and welcome. If what you're doing isn't giving you symptoms of nice overdose (headache, nausea, shakes, etc), and it is keeping you off the sticks, then keep it up.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Frenchfry1942

Frenchfry1942 Chillin' Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 12, 2014
    Rivanna
    I really don't consider the nicotine to be that dangerous. My doctor said that it isn't the nicotine, it is the other 1000s of chemicals that are inhaled in the process. Thinking of "light" cigs, what, less nicotine? What about the rest of the cig?

Anyway, I started by vaping 3-4 hits and sitting the vaporizer out of my sight. My body told me when I needed more. For me, it ended up being 3-4 per 45-50 minutes through that day that I didn't really leave the house. And, it was old equipment, not sub-ohming in any sense of the word. If I remember correctly, they were 2.2 ohm drop-in coils on a Protank 1.

Along with all the other variables, TV watching and breakfast coffee had me vaping more. Just something in my fidgety hands or waking up, I think. Anyway, I got my routine.

Now, if my initial testing was 50mg nic juice and I didn't feel like vaping for the rest of the week, I would have lowered it just so I could enjoy the vape flavor a bit more often. On the other hand, if I was doing 3-4 draws every 15 minutes with 1mg juice, I would raise the nic content. I do have a life and I hated that cigs got in the way. So I wanted to get my vaping (nic content) down so that I wasn't vaping constantly. Took about a year.

It depends on a lot of variables like draw style, how long I leave the vapor in my mouth/lung/nose, equipment, etc. It took me a week to notice some things, but just listening to my body was a lot. Nic is pretty addictive. Your body will talk to you when it needs a another dose. After a month or two, consider taking a step down in nic.

Go slow, have fun, it makes for a great hobby.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Ralph_K

Ralph_K Senior Member

Jan 1, 2018
    If 1 cigarette is 1 mg of nic than 1 pack would roughly equal 6.5 ml of ejuice with 3mg of nic. There is no lower level than 3mg but what you can do is buy a bottle of each 0mg and 3mg to make 1.5mg or you can use the nic pods. The pods raise a 60ml bottle up 3mg so if you had a 120ml with 0mg adding the pod would make it 1.5mg

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.