How Much E Juice Stash is Too Much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vapemesilly

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2017
Nevada
When I started vaping a few years ago I was using a vape pen and had 2 or 3 -10 ml size bottles of juice.

Now I have about 30 bottles of juice, mostly 60 ml, 100 ml and 120 ml. The missus thinks I've lost my mind and should probably go into treatment. (She vapes too, but is still using a vape pen with a couple of 10 ml size bottles of juice lying around.)

I tell her that I need variety...and I do need variety.

So I just placed a couple orders for some more juice. :vapor:

Reactions: puffon

catilley1092

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
North Carolina, USA
If you’ve got more than a month or two supply some of it is going to go nasty on you I suspect if you don’t keep it refrigerated or frozen

Glad I ran across this Topic, have been stashing for over a couple of years. Maybe it's just me. I keep my e-juices in a box in the closet (dark & reasonably cool) & when I pull one out, haven't ran across any bad tasting ones, although have had some light or clear liquids darken a bit. Still the flavor was good.

The larger issue is that I keep VG, some PG & 100mg nicotine on hand, should these be stores in the fridge rather than in the closet? Have read that some freezes these e-juices, especially nicotine concentrate, for me, this would require a lot of small (glass?) bottles & a lot of work. Plus our freezer for food is small, not a lot of room for this.

Would it be OK to simply place the supplies as is in the fridge & all be good, pulling out as needed?:)

Cat

Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Glad I ran across this Topic, have been stashing for over a couple of years. Maybe it's just me. I keep my e-juices in a box in the closet (dark & reasonably cool) & when I pull one out, haven't ran across any bad tasting ones, although have had some light or clear liquids darken a bit. Still the flavor was good.

The larger issue is that I keep VG, some PG & 100mg nicotine on hand, should these be stores in the fridge rather than in the closet? Have read that some freezes these e-juices, especially nicotine concentrate, for me, this would require a lot of small (glass?) bottles & a lot of work. Plus our freezer for food is small, not a lot of room for this.

Would it be OK to simply place the supplies as is in the fridge & all be good, pulling out as needed?:)

Cat
Refrigeration doesn’t hurt anything e-liquid related AFAIK. Personally I keep my nic in the freezer and my pg and VG on top of the fridge

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
In that case, I better be getting a dozen or so small bottles for freezing my 100mg nic. Purchased a liter a couple of months back & don't want to go bad.:)

VG & PG are inexpensive enough to toss should it become cloudy, nic costs a lot more.

Cat
I just put my liter in the freezer. Only problem is it gets a bit thick. Kind of like cold honey. Makes measuring it a bit of a pain. The pour stream is extremely large. A funnel is also helpful

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

catilley1092

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
North Carolina, USA
I purchased some caps on eBay that resembles those on mustard bottles, these fits most all of the popular size bottles that mixing supplies are shipped in.:)

Saved a lot of mess, even with funnels, have made a mess pouring into small bottles that were reused after a good rinse with hot water. Thanks for the advice on nic storage!:thumb:

Cat

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
I kept 1 - 2 liters of DIY juice steeping when I was vaping 15 - 20ml per day. I am now vaping 5 - 10ml per day so I am trying to work thru my stash and will probably try and keep it in the 500ml to 1 liter range going forward.

If you’ve got more than a month or two supply some of it is going to go nasty on you I suspect if you don’t keep it refrigerated or frozen
nonsense imo, unless you are keeping it in a warm/hot area of the house and not in the dark. I don't even vape my DIY until it has steeped at least 2 months. Some of the stuff I am vaping currently was mixed in November and it is delicious. Mine steeps in cabinet in a mostly unfinished Michigan block basement (with a few furnace vents in the ceiling) so it is in the 60's down there pretty much year round.

In that case, I better be getting a dozen or so small bottles for freezing my 100mg nic. Purchased a liter a couple of months back & don't want to go bad.:)

VG & PG are inexpensive enough to toss should it become cloudy, nic costs a lot more.

Cat

good idea. I have about 4 liters broke down into 120ml bottles, purged with Private Preserve before putting the caps on, then vacuum sealed and boxed in my chest freezer. I keep 120ml out for mixing in a PET bottle with a yorker cap in my same cabinet I steep my juice in. Most seem to use 30ml bottles but I have had no issues with a 120ml working bottle. It takes me 6 - 9 months to go thru and any color change in the nic is barely noticeable when it runs low, and I can't tell any difference in taste at a 4.5mg final mix.

Last edited:

CagedSpam

ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2015
FoPo, Oregon
Hm, Just did some napkin math. 3000ml divided into 15ml per day equals 200 days worth. That seems pretty reasonable to me. If you're vaping 5 mils a day it goes to 600 days worth, might be a bit long?

Might take some rigid inventory control to not lose that bottle way in the back.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
nonsense imo, unless you are keeping it in a warm/hot area of the house and not in the dark. I don't even vape my DIY until it has steeped at least 2 months. Some of the stuff I am vaping currently was mixed in November and it is delicious. Mine steeps in cabinet in a mostly unfinished Michigan block basement (with a few furnace vents in the ceiling) so it is in the 60's down there pretty much year round.
Fair enough. Amended to include root cellars. For many people anything below 75f is “refrigerated “ though.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
How much E-juice stash is too much? When you come home to find THIS plastered to your door:
upload_2018-3-14_20-58-21.png

or THIS sitting on the kitchen counter:
upload_2018-3-14_21-8-24.png

:D:laugh::D

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
PG and VG are fine for several years in a cool dry place. Unsurprisingly, I did not refrigerate my 2.5 gallon jug of VG that came in ONE jug. I'd starve. LOL. But, nic should be kept frozen for long term storage, but should be fine in the refrigerator in smaller quantities. Luckily for me, we have a freezer chest for storage, I just stole one of the "larger" compartments. I buy some things in quantity when I buy them, if they are good deals. I mix monthly and may need to take a longer break as some flavors are stacking up, but they are all still good, even some of my first flavors mixed (so, probably over 7 months old) I use dark amber bottles though. I also keep them in a cool dark place until I use them. Some people do like to refrigerate some items. I keep my WTA cold as it tends to be around longer, etc.

Much of it is individual preference. I do refrigerate my flavors, as the ambient temps around here stay pretty high. There are mixed thoughts on refrigerating flavors, but due to our temps, indoors is often warmer than it might be for others.

Good luck,

Anna

Last edited:

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
I do refrigerate my flavors, as the ambient temps around here stay pretty high.
good point, I forgot to mention that. The Real Flavors Super Concentrates I use have a 12 - 18 month shelf life at 'room temp' and 3 - 4 years if refrigerated so I keep them in a mini-fridge even though my basement storage for steeped juice is fairly cool already.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
PG and VG are fine for several years in a cool damp place.
Maybe a typo?;) I agree with "cool;" but "damp?" PG and VG are both hygroscopic (meaning they readily absorb moisture). If the cap seal is good; it probably doesn't matter much, but I personally would avoid damp areas, and opt for "cool and dry" given the choice. :)

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas

The "juice" can sit around much longer than a couple of months without refrigerating it. Keep it cool, yes, but not cold. and it will continue to steep and may even bring out more flavor after 3 months or so.

I keep several 1 liter bottles I made up that last for half a year or more that are tastier than anything I made a month or two ago.

Now, the nicotine, on its own, needs to be stored in a cold environment, freezer if possible to keep it from going "funky".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread