• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

How much nicotine per draw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChellyNelly

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 26, 2011
Dartmouth, NS
Well think of it this way. If you get 1ml in a cartomizer and then get 100 draws out of that 1ml (just as an example), you would get 0.01ml/draw, and that is if it's a perfect delivery system, which it is not. If you want to compare it to cigarettes.. Most Canadian cigarettes have around 1.3% nicotine, 1.3% = 13mg. 1.8% = 18mg and so on. But you definitely get more nic per draw from a cig than you do an e-cig.

Hope that helps a bit. :)

Concat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2011
Edmonton, AB
If you're a dripper, and enjoy a moderate inhale, I'd say you get 3 draws per drop. One drop is 0.05mL. So one draw would be 0.0167 mL. For 24 mg/mL that equates to 0.4 mg per draw.

But, that does not take into account the fact that not all the nicotine in the vapor is absorbed. If I understand it correctly, most of the nicotine absorbed is from the surface of the suspended droplet (ie. vapor particulate).

There have been studies to measure this percentage, but I don't think they were very robust. They really just measured the blood concentrations levels, and it is difficult to correlate that all the way back to the actual nicotine concentration in the ejuice. You have to accurately take into account how much eliquid was vaped, the mass of the individual, and how quickly the body metabolizes nicotine.

Many people have made educated guesses on the matter. 10% absorption seems to be a common number thrown around... but I suspect that is low. I think it depends on how you vape more than anything. Do you like holding it in? Short quick puffs?

My anecdotal analysis would lead me to think that personally, 10 moderate draws of 24 mg/mL equals one cigarette. That's what it "feels" like to me. That's 0.167 mL of ejuice or 4 mg of nicotine. If we assume an individual absorbs 1-2 mg of nicotine per cig, the rate of absorption of nicotine from vaping would be 25-50%. There's a lot of guesswork and musing about the numbers here, but it's clear that rate of absorption is quite low.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Most of us find the sweet spot when we first start vaping. That's the point where you feel the effects of a nic overdose. :)

Then, we stay under that point. The best way to judge the correct intake is by how many draws it takes to satisfy the cigarette urge. That's different for all of us and varies from every ten minutes to "smokestack" vaping.

kanadiankat

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2010
Alberta, Canada
www.electrovapors.com
I've looked and can't find the answer.

If a juice is labelled as 24 or 18mg ( or whatever) how much nicotine is in each draw? The mg of nic is based on what? Is it 24mg per 1ml? Or is it another measure?

Loungemuffin (above) posted a link to an excellent article that explains all this in great detail.

The short answers are: -

Is it 24mg per 1ml? - Yes

how much nicotine is in each draw? - Unknown and not likely verifiable, and is different for everyone. This is the same as with cigarettes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread