How much of a difference is there between flavoring brands?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UpNorth

Sep 3, 2018
Tundra, Minnesota
So I've got a pile of supplies from Nic River and am going to start making really awful juice (just a guess), and I was wondering how big of a difference is there in flavors from one flav company to another? I got sort of a hodge podge of various fruit and cream flavors from different companies, capella, plurium, flavor west and so on.
When you guys are doing your own juice do you try and stick with the same company for all the flavoring ingredients (per batch) or is it a *Have at It* Potion of a lil of everything or whatever you have on hand? In other words if the recipe calls for 3-5 flavors, do you try and use all flavorings from the same company? or not?

I would assume there is probably a huge difference from one company to another but then again a lemon is a lemon and a blueberry is a blueberry???? or is it????

I plan the great unboxing of DIY supplies tomorrow and want to spare my septic system the shame of gurgling down some horrific DIY e-juice ha ha

UpNorth

Sep 3, 2018
Tundra, Minnesota
I know you will get sick of hearing this, but.. everyone's taste is perspective.

Try what you got out, see if you like them, if not, try a different brand.
I'm telling ya, it's gonna happen whether I know what I'm doing or not. Nic and stuff goes in a bottle tomorrow. :danger:

UpNorth

Sep 3, 2018
Tundra, Minnesota
Just keep in mind, most of the time, time makes the wine.. or the ejuice.
If it's not great, let it set and try it a week or more later.
Yeah I do that with a lot of the Store Juice I get because I've been unhappy with the flavor, seems to help somewhat but I want more control.
Hang out here, look at reviews from different suppliers, get on recipe sites and search for popular recipes.

What are you making first?
Going to try and make a mimic of Vapewild Blue Harvest, Which is Lemon,Blueberry,Watermelon. Vapewilds is good but just a wee bit sweet for my taste, otherwise I like the combo
15% total flavoring
5% each is where I am going to start and go from there.
6nic
80/20 vg/pg

Also going to make a coconut creme brulee @15%
Maybe go 10% coconut and 5% creme brulee

I am not going to get too carried away at first as I don't know where to be with flavoring % for what I like. I've looked over tons of info here but not found anything quite yet as to what I want.

What happens after that, who knows ha ha

• Agree
Reactions: smacuser

Ablonz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2014
Frozen Tundra, WI Cheesehead
@UpNorth Yes and no. It would depend on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go. I would stick to one company for a bit to see if you can tolerate the flavor. I mainly stick with TFA for the price aspect of it and try to make it work. Some companies also stock other flavors that another doesn't. That would be where you buy from a different company maker. Take Saltwater Taffy for instance, you can only get that from Lorann. Then comes the different flavor profiles. For instance, Super Sweet from CAP taste is more chemically to me than TFA Sweetner. They both will sweeten but to a different degree. Then you have brands that are rewraps of a main company. My freedom smokes ONLY Blueberry is the same as TFA Blueberry Extra to me, then you have TFA Blueberry Wild which is a sweeter tasting blueberry. Blueberry Extra is like the outer skin of the blueberry and Blueberry Wild is the juicy center. Hope this helps.

UpNorth

Sep 3, 2018
Tundra, Minnesota
@UpNorth Yes and no. It would depend on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go. I would stick to one company for a bit to see if you can tolerate the flavor. I mainly stick with TFA for the price aspect of it and try to make it work. Some companies also stock other flavors that another doesn't. That would be where you buy from a different company maker. Take Saltwater Taffy for instance, you can only get that from Lorann. Then comes the different flavor profiles. For instance, Super Sweet from CAP taste is more chemically to me than TFA Sweetner. They both will sweeten but to a different degree. Then you have brands that are rewraps of a main company. My freedom smokes ONLY Blueberry is the same as TFA Blueberry Extra to me, then you have TFA Blueberry Wild which is a sweeter tasting blueberry. Blueberry Extra is like the outer skin of the blueberry and Blueberry Wild is the juicy center. Hope this helps.
That is kind of what I figured but I am here to learn so thanks for the input!

Ablonz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2014
Frozen Tundra, WI Cheesehead
That is kind of what I figured but I am here to learn so thanks for the input!
Your welcome! Then another aspect of it is the ease of use like pink lemonade for instance, you could use that by itself or use lemon, hint of raspberry and sweetner and get the same thing. I have a blueberry muffin recipe that takes 11 different flavors where as I am sure you can get a single flavor of it but not be able to adjust certain degree and flavor profile being it is premixed that way.

Reactions: smacuser

ShamrockPat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 5, 2015
    Grand Forks, ND
    I would assume there is probably a huge difference from one company to another but then again a lemon is a lemon and a blueberry is a blueberry????
    Yes, your assumption is correct. Hardly any 2 Strawberries are the same. Some are jammy, candy, realistic, sweeter, bit leafy, etc.
    is good but just a wee bit sweet for my taste
    And for sweeteners, do you prefer sucralose, ethyl maltol, stevia, etc.

Your best bet is to read flavor reviews, and start to single test from now before you're up to a hundred or two.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 17, 2012
    Imperial Beach, California
    Yeah it's pretty easy to make a bunch of unusual tasting juice. Try using posted recipes where others tried it and liked it. Go easy on your flavor percentages, you can always add more as needed.
    There are flavors from the same company where 1% is too much with one flavor and 10% might not be enough for another flavor.

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2015
    Garland,TX
    So I've got a pile of supplies from Nic River and am going to start making really awful juice (just a guess

I've found that there is a great advantage to this. When your juice tastes crappy enuf you can never tell when your coils go bad. Mine last FOREVER!

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    So I've got a pile of supplies from Nic River and am going to start making really awful juice (just a guess), and I was wondering how big of a difference is there in flavors from one flav company to another? I got sort of a hodge podge of various fruit and cream flavors from different companies, capella, plurium, flavor west and so on.
    When you guys are doing your own juice do you try and stick with the same company for all the flavoring ingredients (per batch) or is it a *Have at It* Potion of a lil of everything or whatever you have on hand? In other words if the recipe calls for 3-5 flavors, do you try and use all flavorings from the same company? or not?

I would assume there is probably a huge difference from one company to another but then again a lemon is a lemon and a blueberry is a blueberry???? or is it????

I plan the great unboxing of DIY supplies tomorrow and want to spare my septic system the shame of gurgling down some horrific DIY e-juice ha ha

Try small bottles of any flavor you choose for your first time buy. Once you know which brands and flavors you really like, up the bottle size. If you are like most of us you will eventually end up with a dozen or so flavors that you REALLY like and a lot of flavors that are so-so. There's significant variance between brands.

Don't hesitate to try unflavored mix (PG/VG and nic without flavor). You can vape it plain or use it to try new flavors in small amounts without getting out all the paraphernalia needed for a full blown mix session. Just pour some unflavored juice into a small bottle and add the recommended % flavor.

Take the reviews from others with a grain of salt. It's like soft drinks ... some people like Coke and others swear by Pepsi and Canada dry. One size doesn't fit all. You have to try them and make your own determination based on your personal experience.

Boba's Bounty was so popular that most never got an order in because it was constantly out of stock. When I finally got my bottle I didn't care for it. Go figure. I'm not a fan of raisin flavoring in my vape.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread