How much sweetener?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashtonsmommy1209

ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2013
Silverdale, WA
www.facebook.com
Just got some new DIY supplies today and ordered some sweetener to add to some of my juices. I have made some of my own juices before but not using sweetener. From what I've read it's highly concentrated and I was wondering approx how much sweetener I should use to make a 15ml bottle of juice? Approx numbers are fine I know it varies. I generally do about 25-30% flavoring if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Ashtonsmommy1209

ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2013
Silverdale, WA
www.facebook.com
I never use EM as a sweetener because I feel that it REALLY dulls the flavor.

Where do you get your sweetener? It works well & doesn't dull the flavor? I'll see how this juice tastes after I let it steep for a week or so, but it'd be awesome to have a backup in case I'm not satisfied with this sweetener.

Steve K

ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2012
Philadelphia,Pa
Where do you get your sweetener? It works well & doesn't dull the flavor? I'll see how this juice tastes after I let it steep for a week or so, but it'd be awesome to have a backup in case I'm not satisfied with this sweetener.

Glassmanoak is referring to EM (Ethyl maltol) which is different than the sweetner you ordered which is Sucralose,I have both and I prefer the Sucralose only because it seems to take more percentage of Em to achieve the same as sucralose at a lower percent.They do have a slight different taste and effect.But I do like the taste of sucralose.Here is EM (Ethyl maltol) which is also known as cotton candy at TPA.But I've never tried enough of it to say it dulls the taste.Read the reviews on the page.
https://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/p-6658-cotton-candy-flavor.aspx

Last edited:

CandyTX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Austin, TX, USA
candybeauchamp.com
Ah, good to know. I have the MBV sweet and I cannot STAND it. It leaves a horrible residual taste. I'll look for EM :)

Glassmanoak is referring to EM (Ethyl maltol) which is different than the sweetner you ordered which is Sucralose,I have both and I prefer the Sucralose only because it seems to take more percentage of Em to achieve the same as sucralose at a lower percent.They do have a slight different taste and effect.But I do like the taste of sucralose.Here is EM (Ethyl maltol) which is also known as cotton candy at TPA.But I've never tried enough of it to say it dulls the taste.Read the reviews on the page.
https://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/p-6658-cotton-candy-flavor.aspx

Gummy Bare

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
San Diego, California
What about the Flavor West Sweetener? I just got some the other day (my first sweetener, and I'm new to DIY) but I can't seem to get things as sweet as some of the juices I buy. I looked on the FW site and it says it's Sucralose.

Ingredients Are: Sucralose Artificial Sweetener, Propylene Glycol. USP Kosher Grade Flavoring. Usage Rate .25 to .50

I tried out 1 drop per ml, but that doesn't seem to taste right.

Steve K

ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2012
Philadelphia,Pa
What about the Flavor West Sweetener? I just got some the other day (my first sweetener, and I'm new to DIY) but I can't seem to get things as sweet as some of the juices I buy. I looked on the FW site and it says it's Sucralose.

Ingredients Are: Sucralose Artificial Sweetener, Propylene Glycol. USP Kosher Grade Flavoring. Usage Rate .25 to .50

I tried out 1 drop per ml, but that doesn't seem to taste right.

I seem to be hung up on ez sweetz and man is it sweet,If you try one drop straight you will literally taste it for 30 min.And one drop per ml seems like too much I use one drop per 5ml with ez sweetz and you can get a free sample but you have to pay for shipping I think and it is sucralose,and mixes excellent in juices.I don't see many people mentioning it any more but I like it.2 drops in my coffee too_One of those little bottles goes a long way.
Link here
EZ-Sweetz® Free Sample

Last edited:

Gummy Bare

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
San Diego, California
maybe i'm just over doing it and the overpowering is giving it a taste that doesn't amount to sweetness at that point. But the ingredients also state PG, so there's no telling how diluted FW made their stuff. It's not pure Sucralose, but i have no way of telling how much PG and how much Sucralose is in their mix.

Gummy Bare

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
San Diego, California
I do like EM or caramel and rarely sweeten with sucralose as I am just not that into super sweet and sucralose to me has an aftertaste that I don't care for but when I do use it I use more like 1 drop per 3-5 ml of liquid. Its pretty potent.

I guess I'm not using enough because so far in not getting a super sweet taste from it.

:: sent from android with tapatalk ::

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I generally use sweetner to reduce a sharp or bitter tobacco or make a flavor pop. I never add it thinking it will increase sweetness. It should be used sparingly (1drop per ml) to enhance flavor and not add sweetness. Adding to much as mentioned earlier will give the mix a burnt taste. Try adding caramel or vanilla or other flavor with a drop per ml of sweetner. The sweetner will make a dull flavor pop but over do it and it will ruin the mix.

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
Has anyone tried Stevia and had positive results? :vapor:

I have but since I've been using it in hot tea for years I long ago acquired a taste for it. I use the KAL brand. Pure powder in my tea and pure liquid in my juice. It does have somewhat of an aftertaste, but I'm used to it. I'd start with about 1 drop per 5ml and slowly increase (if so desired).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread