How should i buff some scratches off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
There are a couple of spots on my P16 that are slightly marred, probably a result of having rubbed against my keys in my pocket. I'm wondering how to best buff that out? What materials should i use and how should i use them? I don't want to send it in to be buffed up as there's no way I would survive with it out of my hands for very long.

I have in mind that wet sandpaper is what i should use and rub around not up and down. Is that right and what grit sandpaper if that is right? And how firmly should i press?

Or maybe steel wool?

Thnx

Last edited:

Portugal Barry

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2010
Portugal
For me it would depend on how deep the marks are, personally I would start with the least abrasive possible, a good cutting polish of even a very light honing past to start with and if that doesn't do the trick work up from there, the least damage the better. Starting with an abrasive like sand/emery paper or even steel wool can require a lot of work to polish out once you have used it.
Obviously the best option is to return it to David for a proffesional polish, but if not start light and work up.

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
For me it would depend on how deep the marks are, personally I would start with the least abrasive possible, a good cutting polish of even a very light honing past to start with and if that doesn't do the trick work up from there, the least damage the better. Starting with an abrasive like sand/emery paper or even steel wool can require a lot of work to polish out once you have used it.
Obviously the best option is to return it to David for a proffesional polish, but if not start light and work up.

The marks are just on the surface, not scratches really, just slight marring on the surface. I'd never hear the term 'cutting polish' before, a quick google search later... yeah... something like that looks like it would be what i need... a mild abrasive polish of some kind... i wonder if car wax would work? I should have some of that in my garage, i'll give that a try first.

lowboy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Have you done anything to it yet?
By no means use 800 grit.
If the scratches are more than surface scratches.
(1)Use 3000 grit wet sand paper if you can find it. If not use 2000 grit wet sand paper. Make sure to keep it wet and I mean wet.
If you have a buffer( no buffer go to step two) get some jewelers polish and buff it. Then step 2.
If not deep use step 2 first.
(2) Get Megiures scratch x. Use a Micro cloth. Rub with medium pressure. After the polish starts drying wipe it off. You may have to do this a few times.
I may not know much but I know how to polish things to a mirror shine.

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
Thnx for the tips lowboy. I haven't succeeded in fixing it up yet, but i haven't tried too much (and i haven't messed it up yet either). So far all i've done is lightly twist it in some steel wool... didn't really do anything good or bad... no change.

Although the steel wool did manage to remove an "LR 2" painted on to the side of the atty that i'm using :)

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Have you done anything to it yet?
By no means use 800 grit.
I have to respectfully disagree with you. All units are sent out with a final surface preparation with 600 grit and as you can tell from some of the beautiful pictures people post, it does a pretty good job:) I prefer a more semi satin finish to a mirror finish as it repels fingerprints and doesn't become as slippery as a mirror finish. But it all comes down to personal preference so if someone wants to work up to that grit, definitely go ahead. But as the OP stated, he has some scratches, and he will need to progress up through the grits, 600, 800, 1500, 2000 and than 3000. 2000 and 3000 won't take significant scratches out in a timely manner. In fact, i can spend quite a lot of time even with 600 grit to get deeper scratches out, and that's when using a lathe, i can't even imagine by hand :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread