Polishing the resin panel on my Drag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinnybagodoughnuts

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2015
I've got all the drag 2's and other Voopoo vapes so i'm going to do this as well. Are you sure you needed to start at a 200 ?? I would think 600 then straight to 1000 would probably do. Mind you yours look fantastic for just a half hours work :)
I tried starting at 400 but the top layer almost seemed like some kind of coating and it was difficult to break through.The 180 worked to get through it easily. Of course you can try it.The worst that could happen is you would have to go to a coarser grit as I did.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
I tried starting at 400 but the top layer almost seemed like some kind of coating and it was difficult to break through.The 180 worked to get through it easily. Of course you can try it.The worst that could happen is you would have to go to a coarser grit as I did.

Yes I agree, I have several projects I want to take on. I've got two mechs for example which have a clear cerakote. This stops them tarnishing but kind of something about them I don't like.

I also have several ultem mods which again, comes up like a mirror when polished up with this same technique.....

Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I wouldn't expect a manufacturer to do this as the cost would be prohibitive.Its a fair amount of work.
If it can’t be automated it absolutely is. There are automatic bowling ball polishers though so one would assume it at least can be done.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Ok...job done :) It turned out that I could only get 400 grit, 600 grit and a 220 grit for awkward marks etc. However I bought a buffing wheel along with two types of pastes...one for pre polish and one for final.

Like you I found that I had to go to the 220 grit to get off what I think is some kind of cerakote and as you said a little bit of work was needed to get the edges clean because of the rounded profile on the Drag 2.....Pic below....love it :) The pictures don't do it justice though in reality its like a high gloss mirror finish....super super shiny. I'd recommend the process to any one.

20190601_161614.jpg

20190601_161616.jpg

20190601_161606.jpg

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Cool Charlie! Nice work!
I can't stop rubbing mine....(easy people):)

The only problem with it was that the rest of the mod was painted black and although I carefully covered the exposed bits surrounding the resin panel I ended up taking the paint off. It was no problem really, I just had to polish the bare edges up to a mirror finish as well :)

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
Well, I was inspired to do the resin panels on my Aspire Feedlink squonker --- fortunately, they can be removed, so working on them is rather easier. Also, it is suprisingly difficult to photograph the polished panels in a way that shows their depth, color, and polish without too much glint and reflection. Anyway, here's the before and afters:

Before:
before.jpg

After:
after1.jpg

After, on the mod again:
after-on-mod.jpg

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Well, I was inspired to do the resin panels on my Aspire Feedlink squonker --- fortunately, they can be removed, so working on them is rather easier. Also, it is suprisingly difficult to photograph the polished panels in a way that shows their depth, color, and polish without too much glint and reflection. Anyway, here's the before and afters:

Before:
View attachment 818671

After:
View attachment 818673

After, on the mod again:
View attachment 818675
It's a stunning finish... I'm going to do anything I think will come up nicely... Ultem, brass, copper, wood and resin. I've got the bug :D

Vinnybagodoughnuts

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2015

Before:
View attachment 818671

After:
View attachment 818673

After, on the mod again:
View attachment 818675
You did a great job Andrew.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread