How to clean a smokymizer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelOz

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2010
Czech Republic
My first pack of smokymizers arrived 2 days ago.

--------------- You can skip this section if you want (just some history, and my experience so far)
Right off the bat, they give a great vape. At first they crackle and fizz, and give a near perfect TH. I was elated thinking I've finally found a winning solution. For me anyways, no leaking or burnt taste.

But then I refilled it, and roughly after 3 refills I started getting a burnt taste. My initial thoughts were because I was using a VG based juice, and so it could very well be a wicking problem.

Then came the round of experiements:

I tried lowering the vg content of my juice until I ended up with a pure PG mix, and yet still the burnt taste remained. I then added water to try and get the juice as thin as possible. That burnt taste persisted.

----- end of history -----------------------

I decided to open up the cartomizer. And was amazed to see an extremely dirty atomizer. This explained the burnt taste. The coil was literally black and brown with a lot of build up.

I am pretty sure I can flush it all out, and get it clean again, but then there is the show stopper - the wick!

I can't get the wick back into the reservoir. I'm a fairly clumsy person, but I'm telling you even a Swiss watch maker would battle to get that wick back in there.

There must be a better way to clean these things!

If not, can someone recommend a cartomizer they're enjoying, one that is more serviceable? And one that doesn't have wicking, taste, or leaking problems?

locke2121

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2011
Da South!
I bought a pack of these...the onlything they're good for is salvaging the tubes for clearos! I had to bore the wick hole out to get it back in which ruined the wicking speed and let juice into the bottom...it leaked like CRAZY if I forgot to put a condom on the bottom...EVERY hit had a burned taste on any PV over 3.7. I'm a Fluxomizer person now..you gotta tip them over every now and again to help the wicking, but i'm getting great service from them.

wdave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
My first pack of smokymizers arrived 2 days ago.

--------------- You can skip this section if you want (just some history, and my experience so far)
Right off the bat, they give a great vape. At first they crackle and fizz, and give a near perfect TH. I was elated thinking I've finally found a winning solution. For me anyways, no leaking or burnt taste.

But then I refilled it, and roughly after 3 refills I started getting a burnt taste. My initial thoughts were because I was using a VG based juice, and so it could very well be a wicking problem.

Then came the round of experiements:

I tried lowering the vg content of my juice until I ended up with a pure PG mix, and yet still the burnt taste remained. I then added water to try and get the juice as thin as possible. That burnt taste persisted.

----- end of history -----------------------

I decided to open up the cartomizer. And was amazed to see an extremely dirty atomizer. This explained the burnt taste. The coil was literally black and brown with a lot of build up.

I am pretty sure I can flush it all out, and get it clean again, but then there is the show stopper - the wick!

I can't get the wick back into the reservoir. I'm a fairly clumsy person, but I'm telling you even a Swiss watch maker would battle to get that wick back in there.

There must be a better way to clean these things!

If not, can someone recommend a cartomizer they're enjoying, one that is more serviceable? And one that doesn't have wicking, taste, or leaking problems?

Use disposables.

StotheK

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2011
Knoxville
www.stevevape.com
Yeah, I managed once to get that wick back on. It involved separating the inner chamber from the outer tube as it doesn't always come out cleanly and takes some... motivation. Then I got the wick wet and twisted the top as thin as possible. It took forever because the wick frays at the drop of a hat, and it ended up leaking once I was done. I haven't really heard of anyone successfully reassembling these things.

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
CE2s are much easier to clean with the top coil design and are lasting me a really long time. Get the newest edition with the better tubes which are becoming much easier to find. I've heard multiple results as yours with the CE3, great vape until it's time to clean it.

How do you clean the CE2. I guess I can google it but I have a few and never really figured out how to clean them. They came with a kit I got with no instructions.

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
How do you clean the CE2. I guess I can google it but I have a few and never really figured out how to clean them. They came with a kit I got with no instructions.

I assume your talking about the clear tube CE2, even if it's the steel ones, same method just without removing the tube.

First you need to remove the seals. You'll need something with a slight hook on the end to get the underside of the seals to lift, I use a thick paper clip I bent on one end. First the O ring seal, using your tool just life it out, it comes out pretty easy. Next is the filler seal, insert the bent end of the tool your using under the seal where the wick slot is and slightly lift, do the same thing on the other side with that wick slot, keep doing that until it works loose then lift it out. Be careful and try not to bump the coil when doing that.

Next just pull the tube off the base using a slight rocking motion, comes off pretty easy when attached to a battery. Rinse or soak CE2 then press the wicks dry in a paper towel or similar, do a dry burn, put the tube back on, replace the seals and your done.

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
I assume your talking about the clear tube CE2, even if it's the steel ones, same method just without removing the tube.

First you need to remove the seals. You'll need something with a slight hook on the end to get the underside of the seals to lift, I use a thick paper clip I bent on one end. First the O ring seal, using your tool just life it out, it comes out pretty easy. Next is the filler seal, insert the bent end of the tool your using under the seal where the wick slot is and slightly lift, do the same thing on the other side with that wick slot, keep doing that until it works loose then lift it out. Be careful and try not to bump the coil when doing that.

Next just pull the tube off the base using a slight rocking motion, comes off pretty easy when attached to a battery. Rinse or soak CE2 then press the wicks dry in a paper towel or similar, do a dry burn, put the tube back on, replace the seals and your done.

Thanks!

I'm going to give it a try tomorrow afternoon and I'll report back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread