Status
Not open for further replies.

hxj

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2009
Arlington, MA
Hey, I don't know if anybody's covered cleaning of the Volcano cig atomizer and I didn't feel like reading through 11 pages. I just wanted to know if I would ever have to resort to the whole coca cola or vinegar bath. I don't drip. I like the taste of my carts. Do I only just need to blow the atomizers out once in a while?

Depends on your habits and liquids, really. But yeah, start by blowing them out every few days, and try to blow them out and then rinse under hot running water and draining maybe once a week. That will probably keep them in great condition.

If they get too much caked-on gunk on their coils and you notice that vapour production has dropped way off and/or the draw has gotten really tight, I've found it effective to put the atomizer in one chamber of a contact lens case, pour in enough 91% isopropyl alcohol or Diet Coke to cover it, screw on the lid, and occasionally shake gently. (If you use alcohol, you should see black flecks of burnt crud flaking off and settling in the bottom; the Coke's a bit too dark to see much.) It can take a while. It goes faster, in my experience, if you occasionally submerge the case in a cup of hot water to warm the alcohol/Coke before shaking.

I had three L88b (blu/Volcano) atomizers that were so caked-up they barely put out any vapour at all, and this method cleaned the coils very well. Now they feel like new again. Of course, they probably wouldn't have gotten so bad in the first place if I'd been blowing them out every few days and flushing with hot water once a week...

hxj

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2009
Arlington, MA
Cool, thanks for that. as far as drying goes, do I just use a hair dryer on it?

Some people do, I just blow out the water as hard as I can and then leave the atomizers propped up mesh-side-down in a folded-up paper towel so the water can wick out of the mesh into the paper. After at least a few hours (I typically let them drain/dry overnight), I re-prime with a couple of drops of liquid, attach a cart, and wait a couple of minutes for the liquid to wick. After that, it can take a half-dozen or so draws for the vapour production to come all the way back.

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
Ok so I had 2 atomizers (Still talking about the L88B model here). One of them wasn't working so well, so I tried the soda bath followed by rinsing in hot water and blow drying. I killed the atty. It won't vape at all. It's not the battery. Is there anything else I can do to try to save this atomizer?

Have you checked it with a meter to see if the coil is "open"? If it is, then it's dead, dead, dead.

hxj

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2009
Arlington, MA
Have you checked it with a meter to see if the coil is "open"? If it is, then it's dead, dead, dead.

Yeah, I agree-- sounds like an open circuit and there's nothing more to be done. :(

If you don't have a meter available, if you just draw on the e-cig for a long time and the atomizer stays completely cold, that should indicate a broken wire and a totally dead atomizer.

Another thing that's happened to me with that model atomizer is that I noticed the vapour getting worse and worse, and eventually it just stopped completely-- when I opened it up, I found that the white fibrous wick connecting the mesh to the coil had burned all the way through, so I guess no liquid was actually making it to the coil anymore? I'm still unclear on the workings of that little white wick.

hxj

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2009
Arlington, MA
Ok. I poked and prodded around the inside of the "non working" atomizer. Now if I draw enough I get SOME vapor but if I inhale nothing comes out. I only get a tiny bit of vapor when I draw on it with just my mouth. Any suggestions?

Actually, that sounds like it might just still have water inside. I'd try blowing it out really hard and draining it for at least a few more hours (upright, mesh-down in a folded-up paper towel to wick out the water), then re-prime with a couple drops of liquid and try again. It's not uncommon to have to drag 7 or 8 times before the vapour starts to come back.

hxj

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2009
Arlington, MA
I DON'T drip though. I only use carts. but I'll try blowing through it again. I let it sit upside down mesh side facing down all night long in a dummy cartridge.

Ah, wait, I think I see the misunderstanding-- even if you only use carts (I do, too), after you've cleaned and dried an atomizer, you should prime it with a couple of drops of liquid on the mesh, which helps get the wicking going again. I forgot that if you only have the pre-filled blu carts, you have nothing to drip on. :oops:

Best I can suggest would be to attach a fresh cart (you can use the old one once the atomizer is working again) and let it sit for a few minutes, either LED-down or on its side, just to give the liquid time to wick to the coil.

rghgoods

Unregistered Supplier
Nov 16, 2009
Illinois
www.tececigs.com
i revers blow thru mine with no cart in.. it heats up the coil more than normal and burns the crud of.. apart from that a straight forward rinse under a running tap seems to work as well as anything..

as for any particulates i think they stay in the cart wool and the atomizer wool they dont pass into the lungs.. boiling water in a a kettle leaves the junk in the kettle.. condensed steam is pretty pure water.. the same thing must happen to condensed in the lung e liquid vapour.. any particulates get left in the device..

so i think people who worry about brown looking wool are on the wrong track.. the brown wool is the crud being left behind in the wool and the atomizers need cleaning because of the crud being left behind in the wire wool surrounding the heater coil..

trog
I use the same method to clean mine, warm tap water with a quick blow and let dry.

I have sat for a bit and exhaled my vapor in to white cloth to test what is going in me and I have yet to see any discoloration from exhaling. (remember the old denture cleaning commercial where the guy exhaled in to a cloth to show you analog cig stains on your teeth?) Some of what goes in would certainly come out and show up on the cloth. I've tried hard too. (Don't laugh, I had to know):rolleyes:

RWCJR

Mar 9, 2010
United States
I don't think they're bad for us, no. I e-smoke. But I think quality of E-Liquid varies, and some contains more particulates than others. I do know that Ruyan publicly announced late last year that it would not use tobacco plant extract in its liquids; the extract dirtied core filters. Why? Particulates. Look at a core after smoking some E-Cig liquid. It gets filthy in a hurry. That filth is trapped particulates.

Now, I have no idea what crud forms on the atomizers, but it does. In other posts, Dr. Loi suggested scraping the atomizers with a needle to loosen the crud. Wow! I'm not surgically skilled and I fear I'd kill any atomizer I touched with a needle. But he noted the buildup and has been searching for a suitable cleaning solution.

I have a good idea. I am a automotive technician. I bought these small wire brushes to do fine little clean up jobs with on car parts, etc. They are like a toothbrush and you can get them in plastic or wire bristles. There are different type bristle brushes from coarse to fine. I bet that would work to clean the atomizer instead of having to pick away at the porous part of the atomizer to clean out the debris build up.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
I have a good idea. I am a automotive technician. I bought these small wire brushes to do fine little clean up jobs with on car parts, etc. They are like a toothbrush and you can get them in plastic or wire bristles. There are different type bristle brushes from coarse to fine. I bet that would work to clean the atomizer instead of having to pick away at the porous part of the atomizer to clean out the debris build up.
I don't think so Tim!

jungletim

Aug 25, 2011
canada
Likewise, I haven't noticed earth-shaking differences after cleaning. I've used both the alcohol and running water methods. Some atomizers seemed to work better after cleaning (but not much better). I drowned one in the water. Another tasted of rubbing alcohol for days. Bottom line: I rarely resort to cleaning them, but do stand them on end periodically to drain the crud out.

It seems to me that a death blow for atomizers is letting liquid evaporate overnight and leave solids of crud on the atomizer. That crud comes from particulates in the liquid. Remember that whatever you find on your atomizer is duplicated inside your lungs. I think the quality of E-Liquid is underestimated in its influence on both our atomizers and the long-term consequences of e-smoking. And what do we really know?

My own plan involves fine lab filtering of liquids before I use them for vapor. Course, I'm working with a lot of homebrew stuff, but I plan to filter E-Cig's liquids that I still have. The fewer particulates the better -- for me and the atomizers.

is ther any way you could tell me how to do what your doing either in this post or pm me...please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread